Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Indus85

Indus85 New Member

I've been lurking on this thread for a while, trying to learn what to look for when buying a new "poor mans watch." I confess I was pretty ignorant until I stumbled upon this thread a week ago. Now I'm only moderately ignorant.

Most recently, I bought a good-looking quartz watch from bulova, as I needed something classic looking to wear with suits at work functions, but after learning more, I realize I'm not happy with it, and, that for the same price I could get something of better craftsmanship that's automatic.

Now that I know what I'm looking for, I'd like some suggestions if there's anyone knowledgeable who wouldn't mind dropping some of that knowledge on me!

Here are my criteria:

I'm looking for an automatic, understated watch, that's very classic and clean for under 200. I'm hoping I can get one that will look good with various straps (red and blue nylon in summer, black, and brown leather straps). My wrists are very small, so I'd like something in the 36 to 39 mm case size range. I like cases with a thinner edge, that really show off the face, which i'd want to be white or off-white. I also don't like numbers or numerals on the watch face. I'd also like something that's water resistant to 50m at least, and preferably with a clear back so I could see the mechanism. Do you have any suggestions?

The dream watch that suits all of these criteria except price is the sarb031 I saw on this forum and others, from Seiko, but that is a $500 watch.

What can I get that's comparable, that will last, and that will keep pretty good time?

Thanks in advance.

2. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I am working on such a list, but it may take a few more days :).

Each watch suggestion will have a picture, description, pros, cons, and why I find the piece horologically interesting. It is just taking a little while to put together.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013

3. shinninglikeme

shinninglikeme Member

Hmm lokks good and is a lso a very good simple watch

4. Indus85

Indus85 New Member

Newcomer, thanks very much; I really do appreciate it, as the sheer number of options and research required is pretty overwhelming.

If under 200 is too ambitious for a quality watch that meets all the criteria, I understand. Hopefully your list will prove helpful to others in the same boat as me!

Edit: I just realized this response wasn't for me, but rather for the post above. Embarrassing.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013

5. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Don't worry about it! If under 200 is what you are looking for though, I do not think you need to look any further than Long Island Watch. They stock just about the best selection of $200 and under watches around. Honestly, off the top of my head I cannot even think of one watch that I would recommend that they do not stock.

6. Indus85

Indus85 New Member

Thank you again! Checking them out now! Looking forward to your under-$500 list also!

7. Cubits

Cubits Well-Known Member

I'm going to be stepping up soon, looking forward to the breakdown! :)

I've always worn watches, but i'm currently rocking a pair of rather cheap "Blaq" brand pieces because they were purchased with a voucher and everything else available was horrifying.

[​IMG]

Yes they have gaudy, sloppy stitching and cheap cases, but i have bashed the crap out of them at work. With my new job comes less physical "interaction", so it's time to have something more appreciable.

What i'm after is simple: Tan leather strap, white/off-white face, no superfluous details (one dial, thanks!), and very thin with a minimal bezel. I'd also like a black strapped alternative.

8. Kai

Kai Senior member

There are tons of good options.

If I were in your position, I would buy this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beijing-Bei...068373314?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item27d4783942

I own this watch. It's very very nice. Limited edition, high quality band, nicely done movement. New will cost you about $500.

Some pics of mine: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Other Bejing Watches:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...70.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=beijing+watch&_sacat=0

Seagull:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/seagull-watch

Orient:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...3A%20Hand%2Dwinding|Mechanical%3A%20Automatic

Seiko:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sac...3A%20Hand%2Dwinding|Mechanical%3A%20Automatic

9. Indus85

Indus85 New Member

Kai, it's a beautiful watch, but a little outside my budget! (Great photos too.)

I was looking with deep admiration at the orient bambino, although it's a little big for my wrist.

10. MatthewG18

MatthewG18 Active Member

Is this kind of like what your looking for? It's not an automatic, but it's very minimalist, simple design. The casing is quite thin and about the colour of the strap, if your not a fan it's pretty easy to change.

[​IMG]
    More info about this watch
    |
    |
    V
    http://beringtime.de/en/collection/classic/bering-11139-501.html

11. Devoti

Devoti Well-Known Member

Just picked up this Doxa on a whim for under $100. Keeps time within about 5-10 seconds a day, not too bad.

It's amazing how cheap these go for in good condition on ebay, that's if you like these kind of Bauhaus watches.

[​IMG]

12. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

13. Devoti

Devoti Well-Known Member

Just picked up another poor man's watch. A new old stock diver for $55 on ebay. While not an Omega Seamaster 300 or an orig. Rolex Turn-o-Graph imho it's presentable, 38mm case, tells good time and looks brand new; I dig the second hand.

I see so many nice cheap watches on eBay but I have to admit, I have to give myself some strict guidelines on what is worth buying as it's very much a minefield and a cheap watch can end up being a very expensive watch to fix up or junk because it's not worth fixing up but it's totally doable with some patience and homework.

Ask the seller key questions about it's condition, how well it's currently telling time and if there's any problems or has it been serviced recently. I find the best deals are from items listed with vague descriptions and bad pictures but asking them for more info and pics of the item can be very beneficial.

[​IMG]

Come on guys, lets see some of your recent acquisitions!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013

14. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Senior member

I have been on the search for a usable diver again ever since I got rid of my Orange Monster, no I don't dive but do like to swim at the cottage and none of my other watches would do well in water. So I picked this up the other day used from WUS.
    So far it's working great, haven't had it in the water yet, I'm sure it won't be an issue.

[​IMG]

15. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member