• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Devoti

Reaction score
I've been thinking it might be a good idea to put together a hierarchical list of "good" watches at the 3 figure and below price point similar to the hierarchical suit thread. The question is what criteria should be used? I'm not sure that quartz or non-in-house movements should be ruled out, for instance, but I do think classic style in line with conservative business dress and good build quality need to be in the criteria. I'll post more later when I'm not drunk.
I thought Hayward was going to do this, perhaps the forum should buy him a bottle of his preferred libations in order to get this done.

From what I'm seeing and reading in this thread, Haywards composed input could very useful.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Except that I'm currently lost somewhere between anomie and the "Mafoofan furnishes his apartment" thread.

Keep on going guys, I'll catch up.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rooster,

I have to agree but there's so many very cool vintage watches in this price range that tell good time that I would defer the new seiko's, Sub Mariner copies and Hamilton's to the bottom of the list. Don't get me wrong, they definitely have their place but at the same time there way too easy and common and trying to copy watches of another era. This is not a bash, just saying that with a little time and open mind that you can find so many unique and very cool watches available in this price range that are just waiting to be worn. Trust me, when you find a good one, there way more satisfying to wear than a Seiko.

I can't disagree. All true.

Vintage isn't for everybody though. Personally I prefer 38mm and above. Also, it helps to know a good watch repair.

Last edited:

Devoti

Reaction score

I can't disagree. All true.

Vintage isn't for everybody though. Personally I prefer 38mm and above. Also, it helps to know a good watch repair.

Admittedly, You are totally right in regards to finding case sizes bigger than 38mm but it's doable but probably not so much in a classic looking dress watch.

And yes, part of having an interest in nice watches is also finding a good inexpensive local trust worthy watch repairman but it's the same thing when you buy nice dress shoe's or a suit.

I think the difference is taking the time to finding this knowledge and support system otherwise I guess the default is a buying a new Omega, Seiko or Hamilton...etc. I find it interesting on style forum with (some) members talking about getting $600-1000 shoes, $5000 suits and have found a good shoe repair and a good tailor for them but then they get a new Hamilton.

That's why I think it's a great idea what Hayward suggested, coming up with a abc cheat sheet for someone new wanting to buy a nice watch, new or old.

I'm lucky I have a guy down the street who will do a total service/restore/overhaul for a old non working watch for $150 or less making it look & run as good as new and then I have a really good watchmaker to service/overhaul my expensive watches but he's twice as much and then some but he's totally worth it.

I think this a great and needed thread (poor man's watch) because it's easy to spend $10,000 for a unique worthwhile watch but under $500 it takes much more creativity and knowhow to finding something you'll be proud of.

ok, I'll get off my soap box.

Indus85

Reaction score
I've been lurking on this thread for a while, trying to learn what to look for when buying a new "poor mans watch." I confess I was pretty ignorant until I stumbled upon this thread a week ago. Now I'm only moderately ignorant.

Most recently, I bought a good-looking quartz watch from bulova, as I needed something classic looking to wear with suits at work functions, but after learning more, I realize I'm not happy with it, and, that for the same price I could get something of better craftsmanship that's automatic.

Now that I know what I'm looking for, I'd like some suggestions if there's anyone knowledgeable who wouldn't mind dropping some of that knowledge on me!

Here are my criteria:

I'm looking for an automatic, understated watch, that's very classic and clean for under 200. I'm hoping I can get one that will look good with various straps (red and blue nylon in summer, black, and brown leather straps). My wrists are very small, so I'd like something in the 36 to 39 mm case size range. I like cases with a thinner edge, that really show off the face, which i'd want to be white or off-white. I also don't like numbers or numerals on the watch face. I'd also like something that's water resistant to 50m at least, and preferably with a clear back so I could see the mechanism. Do you have any suggestions?

The dream watch that suits all of these criteria except price is the sarb031 I saw on this forum and others, from Seiko, but that is a $500 watch.

What can I get that's comparable, that will last, and that will keep pretty good time?

Thanks in advance.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am working on such a list, but it may take a few more days :).

Each watch suggestion will have a picture, description, pros, cons, and why I find the piece horologically interesting. It is just taking a little while to put together.

Last edited:

Indus85

Reaction score
Newcomer, thanks very much; I really do appreciate it, as the sheer number of options and research required is pretty overwhelming.

If under 200 is too ambitious for a quality watch that meets all the criteria, I understand. Hopefully your list will prove helpful to others in the same boat as me!

Edit: I just realized this response wasn't for me, but rather for the post above. Embarrassing.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Newcomer, thanks very much; I really do appreciate it, as the sheer number of options and research required is pretty overwhelming.

If under 200 is too ambitious for a quality watch that meets all the criteria, I understand. Hopefully your list will prove helpful to others in the same boat as me!

Edit: I just realized this response wasn't for me, but rather for the post above. Embarrassing.

Don't worry about it! If under 200 is what you are looking for though, I do not think you need to look any further than Long Island Watch. They stock just about the best selection of $200 and under watches around. Honestly, off the top of my head I cannot even think of one watch that I would recommend that they do not stock.

Indus85

Reaction score

Don't worry about it! If under 200 is what you are looking for though, I do not think you need to look any further than Long Island Watch. They stock just about the best selection of $200 and under watches around. Honestly, off the top of my head I cannot even think of one watch that I would recommend that they do not stock.

Thank you again! Checking them out now! Looking forward to your under-$500 list also!

Cubits

Reaction score
I'm going to be stepping up soon, looking forward to the breakdown! :)

I've always worn watches, but i'm currently rocking a pair of rather cheap "Blaq" brand pieces because they were purchased with a voucher and everything else available was horrifying.

Yes they have gaudy, sloppy stitching and cheap cases, but i have bashed the crap out of them at work. With my new job comes less physical "interaction", so it's time to have something more appreciable.

What i'm after is simple: Tan leather strap, white/off-white face, no superfluous details (one dial, thanks!), and very thin with a minimal bezel. I'd also like a black strapped alternative.

Last edited:

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are tons of good options.

If I were in your position, I would buy this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beijing-Bei...068373314?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item27d4783942

I own this watch. It's very very nice. Limited edition, high quality band, nicely done movement. New will cost you about $500.

Some pics of mine:

Other Bejing Watches:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...70.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=beijing+watch&_sacat=0

Seagull:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/seagull-watch

Orient:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...3A%20Hand%2Dwinding|Mechanical%3A%20Automatic

Seiko:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sac...3A%20Hand%2Dwinding|Mechanical%3A%20Automatic

I've been lurking on this thread for a while, trying to learn what to look for when buying a new "poor mans watch." I confess I was pretty ignorant until I stumbled upon this thread a week ago. Now I'm only moderately ignorant.

Most recently, I bought a good-looking quartz watch from bulova, as I needed something classic looking to wear with suits at work functions, but after learning more, I realize I'm not happy with it, and, that for the same price I could get something of better craftsmanship that's automatic.

Now that I know what I'm looking for, I'd like some suggestions if there's anyone knowledgeable who wouldn't mind dropping some of that knowledge on me!

Here are my criteria:

I'm looking for an automatic, understated watch, that's very classic and clean for under 200. I'm hoping I can get one that will look good with various straps (red and blue nylon in summer, black, and brown leather straps). My wrists are very small, so I'd like something in the 36 to 39 mm case size range. I like cases with a thinner edge, that really show off the face, which i'd want to be white or off-white. I also don't like numbers or numerals on the watch face. I'd also like something that's water resistant to 50m at least, and preferably with a clear back so I could see the mechanism. Do you have any suggestions?

The dream watch that suits all of these criteria except price is the sarb031 I saw on this forum and others, from Seiko, but that is a $500 watch.

What can I get that's comparable, that will last, and that will keep pretty good time?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Indus85

Reaction score
Kai, it's a beautiful watch, but a little outside my budget! (Great photos too.)

I was looking with deep admiration at the orient bambino, although it's a little big for my wrist.

MatthewG18

Reaction score
I'm going to be stepping up soon, looking forward to the breakdown! :)

I've always worn watches, but i'm currently rocking a pair of rather cheap "Blaq" brand pieces because they were purchased with a voucher and everything else available was horrifying.

Yes they have gaudy, sloppy stitching and cheap cases, but i have bashed the crap out of them at work. With my new job comes less physical "interaction", so it's time to have something more appreciable.

What i'm after is simple: Tan leather strap, white/off-white face, no superfluous details (one dial, thanks!), and very thin with a minimal bezel. I'd also like a black strapped alternative.

Is this kind of like what your looking for? It's not an automatic, but it's very minimalist, simple design. The casing is quite thin and about the colour of the strap, if your not a fan it's pretty easy to change.

More info about this watch
|
|
V
http://beringtime.de/en/collection/classic/bering-11139-501.html

Devoti

Reaction score
Just picked up this Doxa on a whim for under $100. Keeps time within about 5-10 seconds a day, not too bad.

It's amazing how cheap these go for in good condition on ebay, that's if you like these kind of Bauhaus watches.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads