Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Jyabbz

Jyabbz New Member

2. Devoti

Devoti Well-Known Member

These have been around in other forum sites but this maybe is a good one for the poor man thread. It's a homage to the Blacpain Diver with Seiko 5 automatic movement & case called "Fifty Five Fathoms".

It's a DIY project but you can get them already finished new for about $300 or you can do it yourself for less, there slightly different dials and bezel to choose from. The case/bezel size is 42mm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013

3. lamergod

lamergod Senior member

Would you believe it, I was on ebay last night just looking at those watches. I'm waiting on dagaz to re-stock the dials shown above because, those give a more vintage feel than the newer numbered dials.

I'm thinking of getting one as a gift for myself when I get into the army next year (mandatory 2 year stint in my country).

4. Devoti

Devoti Well-Known Member

Is this the one your talking about?

http://www.10watches.com/apps/webstore/products/show/244957

[​IMG]

I like the cross hairs and brass color accents but I like them both a lot.

I just wished they weren't so freakin big (42mm), I would get one in a heart beat if they had a 36-38mm case size.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013

5. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Out of curiosity why is that? I think they're a step above our beloved Seiko 5s in quality, personally.

I think I'll go the sapphire case as I want this to be my one and only.

6. lamergod

lamergod Senior member

Yessir. I tried one SNZ on before. I don't know how big your wrists are, but I've got pretty average sized wrists. It sits alright. IMO, it doesn't look weird compared to a watch that is truly 42mm as it is that size due to the bezel. Otherwise, the face itself is pretty small. You really should give it a shot. If you have a SKX, it's exactly the same size.

7. Torrente

Torrente Well-Known Member

These have been around in other forum sites but this maybe is a good one for the poor man thread. It's a homage to the Blacpain Diver with Seiko 5 automatic movement & case called "Fifty Five Fathoms". It's a DIY project but you can get them already finished new for about $300 or you can do it yourself for less, there slightly different dials and bezel to choose from. The case/bezel size is 42mm [​IMG] Anyone know where one can get this exact model, as a finished product? Source that ships to Europe. Thank you in advance.

8. Devoti

Devoti Well-Known Member

9. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

I have seen these before on this thread. Honestly love that bezel and dial.
    Seikos are a comparison, Im just not in this price range anymore. And if I were looking in the 300-400 range I would personally go for a used Hamilton or Steinhart, maybe a vintage longines. Example... Hamilton http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6535045&rid=0#msg_6535045 Steinhart http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-steinhart-ocean-1-green-bezel-874887.html Longines http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs...atic-lemania-movement-only-175us$-872324.html

10. joshmick

joshmick Senior member

11. Devoti

Devoti Well-Known Member

Rooster,

I have to agree but there's so many very cool vintage watches in this price range that tell good time that I would defer the new seiko's, Sub Mariner copies and Hamilton's to the bottom of the list. Don't get me wrong, they definitely have their place but at the same time there way too easy and common and trying to copy watches of another era. This is not a bash, just saying that with a little time and open mind that you can find so many unique and very cool watches available in this price range that are just waiting to be worn. Trust me, when you find a good one, there way more satisfying to wear than a Seiko.

12. Devoti

Devoti Well-Known Member

I thought Hayward was going to do this, perhaps the forum should buy him a bottle of his preferred libations in order to get this done.

From what I'm seeing and reading in this thread, Haywards composed input could very useful.

13. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Except that I'm currently lost somewhere between anomie and the "Mafoofan furnishes his apartment" thread.

Keep on going guys, I'll catch up.

14. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

I can't disagree. All true.

Vintage isn't for everybody though. Personally I prefer 38mm and above. Also, it helps to know a good watch repair.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013

15. Devoti

Devoti Well-Known Member

Admittedly, You are totally right in regards to finding case sizes bigger than 38mm but it's doable but probably not so much in a classic looking dress watch.

And yes, part of having an interest in nice watches is also finding a good inexpensive local trust worthy watch repairman but it's the same thing when you buy nice dress shoe's or a suit.

I think the difference is taking the time to finding this knowledge and support system otherwise I guess the default is a buying a new Omega, Seiko or Hamilton...etc. I find it interesting on style forum with (some) members talking about getting $600-1000 shoes, $5000 suits and have found a good shoe repair and a good tailor for them but then they get a new Hamilton.

That's why I think it's a great idea what Hayward suggested, coming up with a abc cheat sheet for someone new wanting to buy a nice watch, new or old.

I'm lucky I have a guy down the street who will do a total service/restore/overhaul for a old non working watch for $150 or less making it look & run as good as new and then I have a really good watchmaker to service/overhaul my expensive watches but he's twice as much and then some but he's totally worth it.

I think this a great and needed thread (poor man's watch) because it's easy to spend $10,000 for a unique worthwhile watch but under $500 it takes much more creativity and knowhow to finding something you'll be proud of.

ok, I'll get off my soap box.