1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Vcook

Vcook Member

Casual friday with my trusty 007

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Great news for anyone who doesn't like the idea of paying half what his Skagen is worth to replace its shoddy leather strap. Big Apple Watch as well as some sellers on eBay are now selling replacement straps around the $25 mark.

Kind of ridiculous that Skagen makes you send in a $100 watch and pay $45 to replace a strap that probably costs them $2 apice and breaks in less than a year of light use.

3. Sander

Sander Senior member

Ridiculous, yes... and an easy way to make money.

4. BostonHedonist

Yeah but forget about brand loyalty. Once these watches have their new straps, it's straight to eBay with 'em. Never looking back.

5. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

skagen isn't, and never has been, respected in the watch community.

1 person likes this.
  6. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

I noticed on Amazon that the newer models have Roman numerals and cost like $180 or so. Does that sound like a fair price?

7. BostonHedonist

They'll certainly never get any love from me.

8. thefastlife

Sounds high. Check for coupons also try Long Island Watch. Email the company and they'll give you a discount!

9. mimo

mimo Senior member

There are some newer versions, but shop around, or even just wait a little. Personally, I've had good service from Creation Watches of Singapore, on a couple of Seikos. They have the Roman numeral versions on at $120-130.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  10. mimo

mimo Senior member

Happy day for mimo. :)

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  11. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

Thanks for the tips -- I just checked Long Island Watch's website, and their prices are very good. Will e-mail the company for a coupon later today.

The reason I'm on this forum is that I recently ordered a Braun quartz watch, and I'm not thrilled with it. I had seem it on numerous design blogs, and for sale at the Museum of Modern Art, and liked it's simple, industrial look, but it looks a bit less dressy in person than it did on display/online. It has a matte finish, and the numerals and markings appear to be printed onto the dial, which makes it look, for lack of a better word, flat. I got it on sale for $105 on Amazon, so I can't really complain about the price, and may end up keeping it for casual wear, but it doesn't go as well with a suit as I had hoped. Here's a photo:[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. mimo

mimo Senior member

I guess buying your sandwich toasters and your watches from the same place, has its limitations! But seriously, if you like that Bauhaus style, there are a lot of reasonably-priced versions out there. I always think of Junghans as a relatively cheap maker with some integrity - and they also do quartz versions for a very decent price.

Up the chain are the likes of Stowa (not just pilots!) and Archimede. But the Bauhaus of Bauhaus these days is probably Nomos - if you're prepared to start at about $2k. So yeah, a quartz Junghans for a tenth of that, or maybe a nearly-new auto if you're lucky?

1 person likes this.
  13. BostonHedonist

Amazon seems a fine enough place to buy a watch. Picked up my Omega Speedmaster Pro there and it's been running flawlessly so far. I saved at least a cool grand over buying at an AD too.

I'll admit the experience is fun, going into the shop; seeing all those glistening timepieces like jewels glistening in the light; being sucked up to by very competent salespeople…. But at the end of the day it's a machine that sits on your wrist that you may as well procure in an efficient and affordable manner.

14. ErikW

ErikW Senior member

1 person likes this.
  15. BostonHedonist

I kind of really like this one:[​IMG]

Dress watches can have a black dial, yes?...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  16. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Yes, but that isn't a poor man's watch.

17. mimo

mimo Senior member

Thanks a lot. I also looked at other makers, and I like a lot of what Archimede do. But I think from them I'd like something a bit different - either the "Outdoor", or one of their divers or pilots in bronze. For me, a steel pilot had to be from one of the original four makers: IWC was too expensive, Lange don't make them, and I didn't like that Laco use lesser movements. So Stowa was the clear winner for me, and again I chose the Baumuster B dial because it was one of their own original designs from the period, and distinctive to the maker. I'm very happy with it. Dressed it up for work today on a croc strap I bought in anticipation:

[​IMG]

I do wonder what the threshold is! In my mind, it's under $1k, which applies to all my watches so far, more or less. Although that's nonsense, of course: for most people who are uninterested in watches, under $50 is more like it, and under $20 for "poor men"! Maybe this is the "Poor Watch-Lovers' Watch Thread", more accurately?

Anyway, the IWC Portofino: a lot I like about it, and definitely a dress watch can have a black dial. But I don't much like 3 o'clock date windows, and at that price point, for me it would have to be perfect. I'd make an exception for that B&M Hampton a couple of pages back, not only because it's cheaper, but because the size and shape of the markers and the date window balance better. This IWC has a lot going for it, but it looks like a Hamilton with the date. Which is fine, just not for that price. The more complicated Portofinos balance out better, I think.

18. BostonHedonist

OP discussed omega...

19. thefastlife

i have been kicking around the idea of this watch. i don't need it, it's not particularly well-made. but it looks good and the price is even better.

[​IMG]

20. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Mimo, really glad to see you loving that watch already. Regardless of price range, I think Stowa makes the most attractive pilot watches out there currently (though I am biased because I don't want any branding on the dial). It's just cleans imple and true to it's heritage (outside of size obviously). Just really great all around. Keep the pics coming in both threads buddy. And a lume shot would be great.

1 person likes this.