Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. GuP

GuP Senior member

I hear ya. I am in the market for a or several watches, but it irks me to spend a lot on a watch. Yet, somehow, I can get myself to pay $40 per pound for some chilean sea bass - outrageous, especially since there are no leftovers.

2. WorkingClassDude

WorkingClassDude Senior member

I've seen croc straps (and other 'exotic' leathers' go for $60, $100, $150, and up... but then I've seen them for $10-$20. Leather is organic, leather will absolutely DIE if you sweat in it too much. Is paying more then a budget strap really worth it when it comes to exotics? I can't fathom spending $150 on a strap and then it reeks and cracks and falls apart in 6 months because I loved it and wore it a lot.

I'm so glad I don't hang around people who judge me on how much I spend on a watch. Or other things....

3. GuP

GuP Senior member

Ya strap is a strap - unless you are into straps.

Any links to the $10 or $20 straps for the the Seiko 5?

4. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

I think croc print is really tacky and almost never goes with the lines of any watch, but Im a bit of a minimalist in my tastes.

5. TactileOne

TactileOne Senior member

Great every day watches, Bertucci.

6. WorkingClassDude

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Leather...id=1368302691&sr=8-2&keywords=19mm+croc+strap

http://www.amazon.com/Milano-Genuin...id=1368302691&sr=8-9&keywords=19mm+croc+strap

Probably other options on eBay as well (but also look at the 'what other customers looked at' on those pages).

I mean yea they are probably junk but I just couldn't justify spending $100 on a strap that will last just as long if I wore it daily... I guess if I had a real nice watch that I would wear 10 times a year I could justify like a decent $50 strap, because it would last forever, but I'm talking about if you want to wear it every day. Though to be fair I live in So. Cal so if it's not blatantly cold I'm probably sweating my balls off, so all I can imagine is sweating wearing leather.

This is one of the issues I've always had with leather and why with my divers I almost always wear nylon or synthetics. I just happened to pick up a little dressy Seiko and want to get leather on it.

Last edited: May 11, 2013

7. Kai

Kai Senior member

Bei Hai and black tie:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. PointDexter2014

PointDexter2014 Senior member

Try the brand rotary. The prices are reason on sites like world of watches. I not sales person or work for the company.

9. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

I'd like to contribute. I definitely think stowa belongs on there. Definitely the antea and all of its variations, as well as the flieger which can be dressed up and down.

10. WorkingClassDude

[​IMG]

Got this cheapy strap from eBay. It's more in the vision of what I planned for this watch. It looks ok... but I could see upgrading to a slightly better leather, and pushing for a folding clasp. Better pic(s) presumably coming.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2013

11. blake11

blake11 Active Member

Can someone please help me determine which strap size I need? I am going to order this Steinhart Marine 38 (http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/MARINE-38,583.html). My wrist size is around 6.3 inches. The strap options are as follows:

Small - 114 x 82mm
    Medium - 124 x 82mm

Thank you so much!

12. imissmycar

imissmycar Member

Just got this off ebay. Vintage Marvin watch in great condition.

[​IMG]

Another shot showing the raised markers:

[​IMG]

13. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

14. thompssc13

thompssc13 Member

I don't see a lot of Fossil around here, but I really like this one and am thinking about getting it. Curious to know what you all think/if there's a similar style from a more reputable brand.

[​IMG]

15. lamergod

lamergod Senior member

The most heinous crime of a cheap watch is a fake chronograph with hands glued on. That is just a major no-no. Take a look at other chinese brands like Parnis or Seagull. They have a few pretty similar ones that are automatic. I have a classmate wearing the exact same one from Fossil. Looks cheap and the font printing are quite ugly to me in real life.