1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Flake

Flake Senior Member

That's a beauty! Dig the Simons Cat avatar too

2. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Distinguished Member

Maratac Pilot Mid
    [​IMG]

3. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Distinguished Member

That's a stunning watch. Superb!

Although I'm familiar with the current Seiko lineup of diver's I cant reliably source this one... kinda looks like a 6127 but then again it doesn't.

4. imissmycar

imissmycar Member

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've really enjoyed this thread. Here is my vintage citizen 67-9119. For those that care, its an automatic, vertical clutch, flyback chronograph.

[​IMG]

5. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior Member

what movement is it? I sold my vintage seiko 6139 because I needed money and it had repro parts anyway. Do you keep your chrono hand running?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013

6. WorkingClassDude

WorkingClassDude Senior Member

Yup, I routinely wear an SKX007 mod or an SRP227 Monster which is a whopping 48mm across. Neither of those feel or look *too* big for me. I don't subscribe to any notions that a watch can be too big for someone, unless it's just like comically huge (example, a young woman or a little boy wearing a huge 50mm U-Boat watch), and I don't feel these are. The lugs definitely don't extend out past my wrist and they wear smaller than their measurements indicate. But honestly, I look at this 5 and it does seem noticeably small, even if it's 'big' by old standards. People say watches used to be small therefore watches should *still* be small, I don't believe in that in the least. Maybe it's weird, but I like to feel the watch is there. I don't like super-thin, tiny watches. I have a feeling though, that the angle which I shot it makes the watch look too big? Because there's no way this would ever be considered too big for my wrist =)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013

7. imissmycar

imissmycar Member

It has the citizen 8110A movement. I do keep the chrono hand running. From what I've read, it's better that way. Keeping it stopped apparently causes more wear to the clutch assembly.

[​IMG]

8. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Distinguished Member

I don't generally care for Citizens but I really like that one. Much cleaner looking than what I am used to seeing from them, granted though, I know nothing of their older pieces like yours.
    That's interesting about keeping it running. I have an Omega Seamaster Chronostop flyback roughly the same age as your citizen. I may have to read up on keeping the chronometer running.

9. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Distinguished Member

10. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

that is a franken, it has bits and pieces of different vintage models. The dial, hands and bezel ring look to be reproductions. The case is a bit unrecognizable, seems to have been grinded down quite a bit. All that matters is that you like the watch, though.

You're ghetto rig though, I like that a lot, do you have a better pic and set-up details?

11. Laurens

Laurens Senior Member

Thank you all guys, it's not a 6127 nor is it a Franken, it's a 7025-8099 from the seventies. Genuine all original.

@ Edmorel: as for my ghetto rig it is quite literally just stuff laying around: it's a Nava desk matt leaning against a big Manfrotto tripod as is the carbon fibre boom which is infact a ski-pole and the "crane" is a roll of 3M tape. The lights are two Tolomeo's clamped to the desk, normally one is mounted on it's baseplate at the other end of the room. To diffuse the light just some plain old sheets of 80gr copier paper taped to the hoods. The little tripod is a polaroid replica of the overpriced Leitz Leica tripod and several vintage 35mm camera's act as height adjustment. The camera is a 7 year old Canon ixus on which I can only adjust the white balance and ISO.

12. imissmycar

imissmycar Member

General advise I've heard is that you should not always keep the chrono running. It causes additional wear on the movement. But, in the case of the citizen 8110A, when the chrono is stopped, there is a spring that is compressed to separate two clutch plates. So leaving it stopped can wear out that spring, leading to having the vertical clutch assembly repaired. I guess it really depends on the design of the particular movement.

Is your watch similar to this one?
    [​IMG]

That's a great looking watch.

13. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Distinguished Member

Here's mine: [​IMG] (taking the photo that day precisely at noon probably wasn't the best idea)

14. imissmycar

imissmycar Member

Nice! I really like the nato strap you chose for that.

15. tristanme

tristanme New Member

I know this is a watch thread, but what iPhone case is that?