1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

Here are some wrist shots of the mid pilot. My wrists are approximately 7.25'' around when the measuring tape is wrapped tightly around the bone. My wrists are fairly flat with the top visible side of my wrist measuring about 56mm. As you can see the lug tips do not reach all the way across my wrist but thats ok; I dont think watches are necessarily supposed to. All in all the face is a good size, I think 38mm-42mm is my sweet spot depending on the way the watch is built, although I have watches that are up to 44mm. I do think the watch is too tall, however. It takes away from the sleek look of the case shape and dial and ends up looking a bit like a hockey puck:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Here is my Citizen Eco Drive:

[​IMG]

I don't like it too much. The white is milkier in person than suggested by the photos and I don't like how that works with the busy layout.

Anyway I've been looking at some watches and found these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I actually really like them even though they are women's, am I just being silly here...?

3. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

4. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I like the watchface design, wish they didn't bling it out.

5. DerangedGoose

Not a fan of super busy dials and the bling / two tone is god awful. Orient has a clean retrograde you might want to consider, if thats what youre into. Stay away from two tone models, they are tacky and poseur:

http://orientwatchusa.com/de00002w

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alternatively, Sea Gull and Beijing watch both make more affordable retrogrades:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  6. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

What's the general consensus on Orient Star as a brand? Their skeleton has caught my eye for a while.

7. DerangedGoose

Excellent watches. Orient as a whole is a quality manufacturer. They are now owned by Seiko but still manufacture all their own calibers, an amazing feat in this price range. Their watches are solid and well made and came in dozens of styles. Scout the internet and you can usually find coupon codes for their USA site.

Orient Star is very well regarded and the white star seeker is extremely popular and iconic. You cant go wrong with their watches.

8. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Senior member

Poor man's sub. Not bad for a $45 watch. It's a workhorse.

[​IMG]

9. DerangedGoose

The automatic prodivers are a great buy (probably the only Invicta you can say that about).

My personal preference is to remove the cyclops and file off the giant INVICTA logo on the side, you can find examples online. You can also remove the logo from the dial, or modify it to your hearts content with new aftermarket dials,hands, and bezel inserts that are available

1 person likes this.
  10. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

Laco Aachen on the way. Amazon is having a father's day sale, 25% off an inflated price, but still a good deal. Also ordered an Orange Monster SRP315

11. zstryder

zstryder Member

12. Godot

Godot Senior member

Given that they were all on sale last week for $20 each, I don't think there is much question about their quality. You can't buy a decent leather band for $20, let alone a watch! Probably good enough for a job interview or parole hearing and don't have a watch. If you like them and need a watch, wait for them to go on sale again and begin saving for a real watch. :)

13. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I'm just curious, I know the Seiko Auto 5 are considered pretty good for the price, but how well do they movement hold over time? I've read stories about them being really off about a year; I suppose that's probably just an anomoly?

14. DerangedGoose

The Seiko movements are highly reliable but like any mass produced product there are discrepancies here and there. Regulating a watch is something you can easily do yourself without issue.

15. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Yeah I just wonder how long they'd last before they might require servicing (which is basically time to be junked considering the cost of the watch vs the cost of servicing), and if maybe I shouldn't buy an extra one after all =P

16. DerangedGoose

If you are really putting it through its paces, wearing it every day, taking it into the ocean and the pool and everywhere you go, probably 3 years, simply to make sure that the gaskets and seals remain fresh and functional (a service on the simple ones can be as cheap as $60, or maybe even less. Or you could do it yourself, they are not complicated movements).

Most people, with casual wear, could go 5 years or more easily. Many people buy vintage seikos that have not seen service in well over 10 years and still keep acceptable time and wear them anyway (just dont submerge them at that point as the seals are probably not water tight).

It is more fun to bond with a watch than to cycle through them. I have slimmed down my collection to pieces I want to keep for a long time, or hold to sell/trade for something truly special. These are the pieces I would be willing to take apart and service myself. You will shell out a bit for the initial tools and cleaner/lubricants (probably $150 or so), but you can easily service a movement with the wealth of service manuals and step by step picture tutorials out there. Its not rocket science, this technology is well over 60 years old, and you will open up a wealth of vintage restoring and modifying options up to yourself. Many people fund their watch hobby through the simple restorations and repairs they flip for a small profit. It is these people who could service your Seiko for cheap.

If you are just now getting into automatic and mechanical watches, congratulations! Its a wonderful and enjoyable world, and truly satisfying to own a well engineered machine that isnt tied to the world of electricity and electronics. It feels good to know I have at least one thing that I know will not crash, freeze, or run out of juice on me. I can set it down and pick it up five years later and it will still work just fine (you should try to run a watch at least once every couple months so the lubricants dont gum up).

My recommendation to you would be to explore the WatchUSeek forums and see the multitude of options you have in affordable watches, especially when you factor in customizing. Take the time to identify what you really like and want and save yourself the hassle of impulse buy-and-flip as much as you can (even though you will do it and go through it; we all do)

2 people like this.
  17. westie187

westie187 Senior member

18. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Okay took some pictures.

I don't need anyone to tell me I have problems. I know I have problems.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. westie187

westie187 Senior member

That is quite a collection!

20. DerangedGoose

Very excited about this vintage find. It is a Rado Balboa V, basically a high end version of their Diastar line. The Balboa was most popular in the Asian market, and featured some fantastic case shapes and dial materials. It is of Tungsten carbide ceramic, notoriously hard and scratchproof but also difficult to work with and impossible to repair once damaged. Over time, its likely that chipped and shattered models were thrown away, unlike other vintage watches which can be polished or even have a new case milled out of steel for. Some of the rarer models featured an Aubergine (copperlike) tungsten case with dials out of very rare and fragile minerals (opal, tiger eye, fossilized ammonite) that were difficult to cut thinly for a watch dial.

The case is a champagne color tungsten carbide ceramic. The dial is sandstone which has a beautiful metallic sparkle to it. The crystal is sapphire, but faceted and catches/breaks light in a very interesting way. It came on its original two tone NSA bracelet, but its not to my taste and is way too small for me anyway. It is wonderful so see how this watch is 40 years old and has not a scratch or chip on it. It looks brand new:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For those curious about the other models, these two threads have a wealth of pics
    http://www.equationoftime.com/forums/showthread.php?37819-The-RADO-Balboa-Model-Thread

and especially this one:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/rado-watches-880506-7.html#post7650647

1 person likes this.