1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

This thread is about watch brands that would be considered "poor man's" under ordinary circumstances (up to a certain price point). Luxury watch brands, even though they may be cheaper due to their age, are not to be discussed in this thread. That's always been the case. Take those discussions about Omega, Rolex etc. to the TWAT thread.

2. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

In other words more Seikos plz.

I just got a citizen Eco drive. Actually disappointed by the look.

3. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Yes, more Seikos (I just contributed a shot of my latest one yesterday), Citizens, Sea-Gulls etc.

4. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

Anyone here own any Armida A7 or A8 brass watches? Ive been toying with the idea, with the SoCal summer coming up, increased beach time might result in a beautiful patina. And for $369, its a pretty good price. They come in black/green/blue dials, and white or "aged" lume. Green with aged lume and no date is my preference. I think the A7 is more unique, the last thing the watch market needs is another sub clone:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, if one really wanted to experiment with a cheap, mechanical brass watch, you could easily sand/dissolve the chrome off of a Komandirskie, as many have done:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I really really like my mini monster. It's my cheapest watch I still wear, too. I didn't think It'd like it so much. Here's another shot.

I'll post the citizen when I get the band adjusted. It's not bad, just not what I expected.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Seiko should really offer that stock.

The case shape is very nice. Are you looking at the Black dial that'll be restocked?

1 person likes this.
  7. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

This actually brings up a dilemma I'm having right now.

I have a couple of really neat Seiko 6309s. On one of them, the movement is in desperate need of servicing. I am frankly tempted to simply have the movement swapped out for a working 7549 or similar quartz movement.

Right now, nobody that I know of is making a 40- 42 mm size dive watch with a quality quartz movement and both the day and date functions. There is the CWC SBS, but it's black, I already have one. And based on what I'm seeing on watch forms and eBay, vintage Seiko 7549s and 7C43s are going for between four and $600. If I have to buy one of those, and then pay even more to have the hands replaced and the dial relumed, I might as well buy a new Tuna.

Other than the CWC, the closest thing I've been able to find is a Citizen eco-drive. But it lacks the day function, and has a ridiculously wide bracelet.

8. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

Looking for a moderately priced pilot watch, with automatic or manual wind movements, until I get the funds for an IWC. I like the B-UHR style. Anyone have experience with:

Laco
    Aeromatic
    Meserschmitt

Other suggestions?

9. westie187

westie187 Senior member

I had a Laco Automatic, with a Miyota movement. It was a nice watch, but I flipped it on eBay and went with a Maratac. I like the Maratac's face. No labels. I believe it has the same movement, and was cheaper. Just my two cents, hope it helps!

http://countycomm.com/midpilot2013.html

10. westie187

westie187 Senior member

11. westie187

westie187 Senior member

Different Miyota movements... my bad.

12. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Citizen quartz diver? How about a Promaster JP2000-08E?

http://yeomansweblog.wordpress.com/2008/08/26/citizen-promaster/

13. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

Thanks for the info. Those are basically the two I am between. What would you say the differences, if any in the materials?

14. DerangedGoose

For the record, The maratac midsize pilot in the original, uncluttered dial is back on sale for $195, limited to 50 units. I believe the large version is on sale as well:

http://countycomm.com/maratacpilotmid.html

I would recommend the midsize unless your wrists are 7.5''+. There are people posting pics wearing the large watch on 7 inch wrists and it is clearly too big, overhanging or right at the edge

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  15. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

The placement of the crown on the maratec bothers me. The models they have on sale are the older ones. I am now just figuring out which aesthetic and size I like best. I have my eye on the Laco Aauchen, Ticino, Steinhart. I really want a 44mm and my PAM 111 is the same size and fits well. The Laco only comes in 42mm, although the difference is small. I am likely putting way to much thought into this, but I need something to keep me busy during a slow week. Other suggestions are welcome.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  16. DerangedGoose

I like the Maratac crown, the offset placement helps it from looking like a canteen with a big mouthpiece strapped to your wrist. But I think the 46 mm size is absurd, especially when you open it up and realize its basically a giant steel spacer around a tiny movement. Few people look good wearing watches that big.

I would recommend you look at Ticino. Look up SizzlinWatches on Ebay and make them an offer, they usually accept $160 or thereabouts. They have several Pilot/Fleigers with sapphire crystals and auto movements, one in titanium, some PVD models, and a black or white mechanical pilot chrono that goes for very cheap ($220). Be aware that their watches are a little thicker (13.8mm) compared to the Maratac (12.8mm):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  17. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I wholeheartedly endorse the Tuna! If you are apprehensive about the added bulk from the shroud, don't be. It's incredibly lightweight and fits oh so comfortably thanks to the placement of the lugs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(After posting this, I realize I never corrected the date after the start of May. Damn you April and your 30 days!)

18. DerangedGoose

Loving my Shturmanskie 31659. Took a long time to find one in this good condition:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Godot

Godot Senior member

Just got an email regarding a JOS A Banks sale, As these sales are very rare, I skimmed the ad and discovered that JOS A Banks actually " makes " watches. They have 12 models, all priced at $125 and on sale this weekend for $20 each. The ads says they are for "executives and the soon to be executives". There is a bit of fine print that states these are not returnable and any problems should be reported to a third party. This doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.
    On the plus side, if your broke and just out of school and want a watch for an interview, these would probably work. At $20 it makes more sense than buying a similar POS for $75-$150. When you decide to trade up, a $20 hit isn't that hard to walk away from. These would also work if you were an actor playing an executive in a play or movie. Also Father's Day is coming up and if you had an abusive father, this would be a perfect gift. The friends and relatives
    would all say "what a good son-giving his father such a nice watch". When it breaks a few days later and leaves your abusive father in frustration, life is sweet :D

20. westie187

westie187 Senior member

Just picked up the original based on your info. Thanks! Flipped the newer model on eBay. Broke even. Love the original face.