1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

I have really small wrists, as can be seen in the picture I posted. Have you considered an Omega Seamaster in the 36.25mm variation?

2. crescent11

crescent11 New Member

I was actually looking at Omega Seamaster, Aqua Terra to be specific. It didn't initially grab my attention at first, but I'm kind of liking it, especially because of the fact that the watch is very versatile while Tank Solo might be good for fall and winter with its black leather band... Still debating. :) I like something sleek and classy after all.

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Nice watch! I just got a Hamilton last week... so it is a poor man's watch? [​IMG]

Dammit Mexico... I think I overpaid for it then... I paid $20,000 pesos, that is $1,540 usd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Thanks! Yours is a gorgeous watch, and I wouldn't call it a poor man's watch, but the one I posted was only a third the price.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Oh, gotcha. Anyway, where did you get yours? I like it a lot.

6. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

1 person likes this.
  7. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I've noticed there is a huge price range for Hamilton watches and there seems to be quite a bit of variation even for what seems to be the same model. Every time I look into getting one I start getting overwhelmed by the price variations and trying to keep the specifications of each various model straight.

FWIW, your Hamilton looks great and you being happy with it should be what matters in the long term.

8. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Thanks, I am happy. [​IMG]

Didn't know that there were a lot of Hamilton's watches for a lot of price ranges. They only bring a few around here.

9. TheBurnOut

TheBurnOut Senior member

Grabbed this one off CL a month ago. Was obsessed with auto racing as a kid so even though it's not a more 'traditional' brand, I like it. From what I can tell its powered by the ETA 2824. Keeps good enough time to keep me happy.

[​IMG]

10. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

If Vintage watches don't scare you, that is a good way to go. They tend to range from 34-38mm. If you go to Watch Recon and type in "vintage", there should be quite a few in several price ranges.

I hate to say it but you overpaid and that might be because of your location. Hamiltons are mostly under 1k USD except for chronos which always go for more.

11. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

:(

I will buy my watches now from Amazon. I found a Tag Carrera in $3,300 usd. That same one here costs $80,000 pesos! That is $5,925 usd!

12. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

13. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

14. DjangoV

DjangoV Well-Known Member

I currently own 2 watches which both qualify as poor mans watches:

My main watch (use it nearly every day) is from Maurice Lacroix. I bought it some 6-7 years ago and I am still very happy I bought it. I don’t recall the exact model though and regret I didn’t keep the original box it came in:
    [​IMG]

Also, I still have a (rectangular, silver casing and band, black display) DKNY watch I got for my 18th birthday. It has fallen into disuse a bit however since I bought my Lacroix and needs a new battery. No pics of it atm, but will make/post one when I get a chance

15. Chuckie Egg

Chuckie Egg Senior member

Very nice :) Maurice Lacroix is not a poor man's watch

16. DjangoV

According to the used price definition in this thread and the amount I paid for the watch (new and in a regular department store) it is [​IMG]
    Although at the time (I was still in college and jobless) it sure didn't feel like a poor man's watch.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  17. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

No, it is not a poor man's watch. Keep it for other threads in this forum, please.

18. Chuckie Egg

Chuckie Egg Senior member

It's a ML Les Classique (they came in different executions) :)

19. DjangoV

Thanks for the confirmation. I thought as much, since it has many similarities to the current Les Classiques on the Lacroix website.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  20. Frist23

Frist23 Member

Ouch, tough on not keeping the box! Whenever I get a watch resized, I promise myself to keep the links. Yet somehow I always lose them. I gave a watch as a gift to someone, and, oddly enough, it was a perfect fit (I have very thin wrists). But since I'm considering giving my current watch as a gift to my nephew eventually, I have to be sure not to lose the links.

Now where'd I put 'em again? :p