1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Paper

Paper Member

getting the marine is no where near possible for me, as its not even waterproof and i dont want to risk ruining a watch so good.

nothing to be sorry about, ahh, im not really a fan of tissot and i really want to get a automatic as it will be my first automatic ever. maybe i might look into steinhart divers or just go back and take a look at my own old suggestions

2. Paper

Paper Member

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/watches/apollon I just discovered this watch! only to find out that the watch height may be too tall [​IMG] do you guys think 2mm will make much of a difference? because i dont want to be wearing a cylinder on my wrist [​IMG] my g-shock already rises off my wrist quite a bit. Apollon dimensions are 45mm and 17mm, my current watch is 46.4 and 14.9mm and i have around 6 - 6.5 inch wrists.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    EDIT: why did this post come up fine... but my other post had to be reviewed by a mod... which is still being reviewed lol

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  3. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

4. ErikW

ErikW Senior member

I'd also throw in Squale makes a very nice diver. Several great models that are reasonably priced.

5. Chuckie Egg

Chuckie Egg Senior member

You mentioned you wanted a watch design that is versatile. That Apollon is unequivocally casual sporty and rather out of place for more formal circumstances especially its thickness.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  6. CaptainApathy

CaptainApathy Active Member

It's not just the thickness that you have to consider, but also the overall weight and how the weight is distributed. G-Shocks are typically made of plastic and are relatively light-weight, especially given their size (i.e., a 46mm G-Shock weights less than a 34mm Rolex Air King). Moreover, the G-Shocks carry a lot of their weight closer to the rear of the watch, closer to your wrist.

Think of your wrist as being something like a centrifuge. The further the weight is from the center, the faster it's going, and it's going to feel heavier. The Steinhart has more of its mass at the furthest point from the center of your wrist, and a lot more of it, too. That Steinhart is not made from plastic. It may only be 2mm thicker, but it's going to feel a lot heavier.

FWIW, 12mm tends to be my outermost limit. Anything more and it tends to get banged around. 17mm is not going to fit under most shirt sleeves, and it's not going to be subtle, especially given your wrist size.

7. Paper

Paper Member

actually, i think if the watch wasn't so thick, i could pull off a semi formal look or two
    welp, who would have thought that finding a suitable watch would be so hard... back to research!
    yeah, im looking at those right now, they seem to have really good designs; but a few seem to be homage watches.

8. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

What is the range of price for a watch to be considered "poor man's watch"? The thread opens with some Oemga's, that's why I ask.

9. Sprezziamo

Sprezziamo Senior member

Usually it's up to $ 1,000

10. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

A source of debate. I posted a $500 watch and I was told it was the wrong thread.

11. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

I think, then, this might fit in here nicely. I got this as a present when I graduated from school. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  12. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Paper, so long as the watch has what you want and is of a good quality, that's all that matters.

$500 watches belong here, Rooster. You were misinformed.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  13. Mr Martini

Mr Martini Senior member

Its not, i already gave you the answer

[​IMG]

14. Chuckie Egg

Nice Tissot - classic look and complements your smart clothing :) From the straight line reflection i think it's a flat crystal?

15. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Thank you! I don't know a lot bout watches so I think yes about the flat crystal. [​IMG]

16. crappbag

crappbag Senior member

The ultra poor man watch (<$100).

[​IMG]

Skagen.

1 person likes this.
  17. Paper

Paper Member

be james bond?

1 person likes this.
  18. Chuckie Egg

that Bond watch's descendant is the Submariner which is considered entry level poor man's Rolex.

[​IMG]

To be honest I don't wear it as often as I don't actually like it all that much... i find it heavy and the fit is poor on the wrist, the flat crystal is too reflective, the lume is not great, the Rolex movement has gear slack and is annoying to set, and I find the bracelet uncomfortable and the friction clasp is unreliable.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  19. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

send it my way if you dont want it

1 person likes this.
  20. TheBurnOut

TheBurnOut Senior member

[​IMG]

Vintage Eterna Matic 3000 Sevenday

Paid $12.99 at a Savers thrift store.

2 people like this.