1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Sorry, I should have specified the dedicated watch forums, i.e. watchuseek. Better yet, just check watchrecon, which groups all sales listings from popular watch forums.

2. OlafG

OlafG Senior member

Thanks.

I looked at few used ones earlier, but usually the come in at about the same price as a new one when you consider shipping from the US and EU VAT.

1 person likes this.
  3. Chuckie Egg

Chuckie Egg Senior member

Very classic, elegant and clear dial with fine detailing. Is it a flat or curved glass? I like it and I can see why it attracts compliments :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  4. Stebbin

Stebbin Senior member

It's a flat. I would have liked to try the curved glass of the Bambino but unfortunately, the lugs are 21mm - too small for my straps. However, the Symphony fits the bill nicely.

5. Chuckie Egg

^ Thanks. I prefer slightly domed glass but I think it's a definite hit from Orient. The baton markers are nice and gives depth to the dial. :)

6. stevent

stevent Senior member

Posted in the other watch thread but this one may be a little more appropriate:

Starting to get into watches and am debating to spend the Hamilton / Stowa /Junghans range or to move onto a little higher range at Nomos. (or any brand recs in the $500-700 / $~2000 ranges) Cost isn't a major issue but just wondering if it's better to get a "starter" watch to get used to it first or to just go in. Do prefer components and build and want something simple and reasonably versatile. And one more dumb question, is it necessary to get a rotation of watches? Or is one just fine?

Wearing a simple timex now.

7. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Senior member

Just put on a new strap on my Stowa Fleiger.
    My second Horween cordovan shell custom strap, this time in whiskey. Great looking if you ask he, can't wait for it to patina.

[​IMG]

Here it is with a #8 I had made for it last year.

[​IMG]

8. JTA

JTA Senior member

For the above $1,000 price bracket I'll consider Sinn also if I were you. Nevertheless between those four (Hamilton/Stowa/Junghans or Nomos) and if money isn't an issue for you, personally I would go with Nomos.

9. Chuckie Egg

I suggest Tissot or Longines for your budget :)

For a versatile watch I suggest one that tends to the dressy side but has water resistance of 100m to make it durable for sporty use.

10. stevent

stevent Senior member

Thanks will take a look

11. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

Steven I have a Longines that I bought 1.5 years ago and I love that piece. Easy to wear dressy or casually. Longines Master Chrono 42MM on a croc strap but I did pay a little bit more than your price range.

[​IMG]

12. Chuckie Egg

Also it's an interesting question about rotation of watches. I think in the past, traditionally, mostly people wore one watch for life or until they replace it. My dad has a Big Rose Tudor that he bought in 1967 and wore it every day for 30 years until he retired it. He still has it tucked away. Anyway, what I mean to say is, while I can see the reasons for rotating a number of watches for different occasions, however the advantage of being a one-watch guy is that you are more likely to form a bond with a watch that you wear all the time through the course of life. I steer a compromise, I have a number of watches but wear one watch predominantly, which is my Universal because of its versatility (I can dress it up or down, change its leather deployant for its bracelet instead and go swimming with it or whatever) and also because I've had it since childhood and its been through thick and thin with me :)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  13. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

Lurker on (and admirer of) this thread for a while, I have questions that someone here maybe can answer. As I understand it, a leather watch strap can be put on a watch made with a metal bracelet, provided the watch cases and bands are the same sizes. For those not especially DIY-inclined in this area, is this usually a time-consuming procedure for a jeweler to do? Roughly how expensive should it be? Watches in the Citizen Eco-Drive and Seiko Solar families are what I have in mind.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

14. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

It should take a competent jeweler 10 minutes to switch out a band. Some of the Seikos (and probably Citizens as well) have an extra little "collar" pin and sometimes that can add to the amount of time. Maybe allot an extra 30 seconds to a minute for the job. :nodding: If you wanted to DIY, there are some videos out there on YouTube that walk you through the process and it's very simple to do at home, even for the non-DIY inclined.

As for the cost - if you are buying a band from a jeweler, there should be no additional cost to have them swapped out. If you just take in the watch and the new band to a jeweler, I cannot imagine they would charge you much for the work. Maybe $10?

15. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

You can easily learn to do this yourself with a spring bar tool. You just need to make sure your watch's lug width matches the width of the band you're swapping out. I agree that YouTube is a good place to learn how to do this.

16. Chuckie Egg

"Competent" being the key word. Unfortunately, too many are not, and are performed by staff who are no more skilled than oneself and likely less careful, or even using incorrect tools. I once had a bracelet clasp adjustment returned from a jeweler with tool teeth marks. Personally, for bracelet/strap swaps i'd do it myself, and for anything more difficult I'd only entrust to a trained watchmaker. A good precaution is to tape around and between the lugs for protection against scratch in case of tool slippage.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  17. OlafG

OlafG Senior member

Is there anywhere in Europe I can send my Vostok Amphibia for a service? Or should I just hand it in to a local watchmaker/store? It's suddenly stopping all the time and winding it doesn't help.

18. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

Thank you for your response. :fistbump:

19. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

Thanks! :fistbump:

20. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Senior member

Wearing this today while marking up some drawings.

Such a great watch for $100.

[​IMG]