1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

LOL, that thing is busted and needs help. 30-60 minutes a day is completely unacceptable and not at all normal.

It does happen though. Easy to knock the cheap Chinese movement but I had to return a Hamilton Khaki Officer for the same problem once. They gave me a new one, no questions asked. The replacement is on my wrist right now, keeps great time.

2. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

It should never even left the stable keeping time like that. Any watchmaker should be able to fix it if it can't be sent back.

3. Sander

Sander Senior member

The problem with divers is, in my eyes, that the dial often is unbalanced (aesthetically). This one is really good, but I still think the hands are too massive. The Steinhart is very nice, but very big.

4. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

The Helson is, as you say, unbalanced. The Steinhart looks fine, though. Not too big at all.

5. Sander

Sander Senior member

Sorry, I wasn't very clear: I didn't mean the Steinhart was too big in itself, but too big for me (and most guys). 42mm with a rotating bezel is quite large. Just to nitpick: the minutes hand on the Steinhart could be a little wider and shorter.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  6. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

No worries. Even if you did feel it was too big overall, that's your right. All good :)

I like the look of the Steinhart, including the hands.

7. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Should definitely not be shorter. The minute hand on a good tool watch should reach the minute markers to make it easy to get a precise reading, IMO. But I think you're right that it would be better balanced if it were slightly wider.

1 person likes this.
  8. Sander

Sander Senior member

Yeah, you're right. Shorter doesn't male sense. Just had a look at the pics on the website again; if the hand catches the light so that you can see the metal, it looks the right width: http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/OCEAN-vintage-Military-,477.html

All in all a great looking watch. Not sure I could get over the whole homage/fake thing though.

9. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

I haven't checked the site, so my comment about a wider hand being better was also only based on how the lume made it look.

If I hadn't bought my sub more than 20 years ago, I don't think I would've had a problem going with something like this, as it seems Rolex don't care to make good looking watches anymore (and the good vintage ones are obnoxiously expensive).

10. Sander

Sander Senior member

Hm. The Nassau also seems unbalanced to my eye, indexes and hands too fragile. Of the new Rolex models, I quite like the Explorer II. But if I wanted to buy a diver right now, I'd seriously consider the Tudor Black Bay.

11. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

In that case I guess you also don't like the design of the original Submariners? That's perfectly fine of course, but this is a pretty close copy of those (and the reason I don't mind it being so close a copy, is that Rolex has abandoned that aesthetic).

Definitely one of the best current production Rolexes.

I like the BB (and the Pelagos even more) and I think that Tudor's current offerings are much more interesting than Rolex's (and at much more reasonable prices too). But I still prefer the look of an old sub :)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  12. Sander

Sander Senior member

No, not necessarily. But I think the old submariner looks best on the actual old submariners. And were the hands really that thin?

The Pelagos also looks nice, but I like non-black watches better. An old Tudor Snowflake would be great too.

13. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Pretty much. Below is a pic of mine (though 22 years old, still a newer version than the one the Nassau is modelled after):

[​IMG]
    Like with the watch above that sparked this conversation, when the light catches the metal, the hands look wider than they do here.

14. plot

plot Senior member

In response to your post about the Helson's hands being too large for the watch, it's just a matter of opinion but I think if they were any smaller they'd be dwarfed by the hour markings, especially the triangular ones. I do however wish the hand shapes were switched like the Steinhart's are (the hour being a broadsword and the minute being a pencil shape).

15. Sander

Sander Senior member

That's a very nice looking watch. I especially like the faded bezel, looks almost mid-grey.

1 person likes this.
  16. Kai

Kai Senior member

I have this watch. It's one of my favorites. The green dial is really spectacular. I replaced the stock band with a shell cordovan band.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Sander

Sander Senior member

@Kai: band looks really, really nice. I'm a bit torn on Seiko in general though - great movements and quality, but the designs... Don't get me wrong, I have a Seiko 5 that I have worn more than any other watch in my life but somehow the dial designs are always a bit off. Leagues behind the quality of the hardware at least.

18. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

The strap really makes that watch. Where did you buy it?

19. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

For you Seiko 5 folks....how long is your power reserve? I only get about 10-12 hours of reserve when the watch sits.

20. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

For you Seiko 5 folks....how long is your power reserve? I only get about 10-12 hours of reserve when the watch sits.