• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

zeero3

Reaction score

Don't pay more than $50 for a quartz watch.

I guess this is a nice baseline, but I'm definitely happy I picked up the Seiko SBCM023 for a couple hundo. 2 years later and I wear it as my daily beater still......

Shoefish8

Reaction score
Don't pay more than $50 for a quartz watch.
Because of the inflated price compared to manufacturing cost or the typical anti-quartz arguments? Seeing as this is my first time piece, and the low operating budget, I'm obviously not looking to resell once I decide to upgrade. As long as I get 2-3 years of wear coupled with satisfactory aesthetics relative to the price I don't think I care if it is quartz or mechanical, other than the ego boost a real movement would give me (but please correct me if I'm missing something fundamental, as I've said I really know nothing).

I've really fallen in love with the Junghans Max Bill, and I have a 300-500 dollar budget, can I even afford anything I could be content with within this range?

Thanks again for the advice!

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can't figure out if I like the light brown shell nato on this. What do you guys think?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If anyone can help me find a used Blue Spark in good condition, I will paypal you a finder's fee ($50).

PLEASE I MUST HAVE IT!

WorkingClassDude

Reaction score

But in general, a nato strap isn't too casual?  I know there is much debate about that topic.

Would you let other people's opinions get in the way of something you want to wear?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you let other people's opinions get in the way of something you want to wear?
No, but I work in Finance and I'm not sure if I could wear this with my suit to work. Nice suit plus nato watch strap looks a little out of place to me.

WorkingClassDude

Reaction score

No, but I work in Finance and I'm not sure if I could wear this with my suit to work.  Nice suit plus nato watch strap looks a little out of place to me.

Meh, try it out. What's the worst that could happen?

atoms

Reaction score
Everyone's definition of casual is different. I find all NATO straps casual. Leather NATO is just NATO pretending to dress up. If you want casual NATO is always casual. If you don't want casual, I would avoid NATO. Also, not a fan of the seagull with NATO strap above. The arabic font, circular/rounded bevel and knurled oval crown are just too dressy for the strap.

This is all my humble opinion of course. I wouldn't think anything of it if we met in person.

Last edited:

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
Does $950 qualify as poor man's? See the link below. Perrelet Power Reserve A1004/4. 40mm X 11mm thick.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meh, try it out. What's the worst that could happen?
Absolutely nothing, LOL.
Everyone's definition of casual is different. I find all NATO straps casual. Leather NATO is just NATO pretending to dress up. If you want casual NATO is always casual. If you don't want casual, I would avoid NATO. Also, not a fan of the seagull with NATO strap above. The arabic font, circular/rounded bevel and knurled oval crown are just too dressy for the strap.

This is all my humble opinion of course. I wouldn't think anything of it if we met in person.
My thoughts exactly, which was the reason for the question.

WorkingClassDude

Reaction score

Absolutely nothing, LOL.
My thoughts exactly, which was the reason for the question.

I just think what you like/want should supersede any 'rules' you see on the subject. Something can be 'wrong', and still look amazing. If you don't think it works, don't wear it. Odds are if you wear it to work for just one day, no one will even notice it, let alone comment/critique it.

For me, I stay away from dressy watches almost completely, so I'm technically the last person who should be talking anyway. I wear watches to work that most guys here wouldn't be caught dead wearing on their day off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads