1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Really? I got this version as a gift a few years ago, and have been very happy with it. I wouldn't describe it as industrial at all. Mine is 40 mm, and the way the bracelet and watch is configured, it wraps really well around your wrist. Actually one of the sleeker metal bracelets designs I've seen, it doesn't look or feel as large as it is, and the movement of the links is noticeably smoother than on a lot of other metal bracelets I've tried (primarily thinking about my sekio here). And of course, the eco drive movement is a known quantity. A well made watch, and it's really hard for me to think of anything as rounded as this as "industrial". I usually associate that word with thick, sharp, angular edges, and that's decidedly not what you'll get with that watch.

2. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Begone, troll.

1 person likes this.
  3. Dan e gee

Dan e gee Senior member

I have a Co Axial Seamaster PO 2000ft Caibre 2500 (45.5mm) on rubber strap black face. I would highly recommend this watch. The escapement has certainly lived up to the hype. Sturdy and rides the knocks. The lum is top notch. The look of the watch is simple and timeless. Stylish enough to wear on special occasions too. A bit weighty, but very comfortable. p.s. The average wage in India is £3,000. They consider themselves lucky. Some people in the world find it hard to find the money to eat daily. So, if you consider a 'poor man' willing, let alone able, to spend nigh on £3,000 on a watch, you haven't a clue what it means to be poor mate. Think yourself very lucky.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

I wonder if we should delete the OP as it seems to elicit these tineared replies every now and then.

5. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Hey guys - does anyone know where I can buy a seiko 5 dress watch with decent international shipping? (I live in Australia).

6. BoredMan

BoredMan Member

The Omega is not a "poor man's watch." It should be considered an entry level watch in the luxury segment.

I own an Omega Speedmaster and I'm thinking about buying a Moon Watch this weekend. (And I also own a Rolex, an IWC, and a Chopard which are all more pricey than the Omega that I have.)

However, I do turn my nose on watches such as the Movado, Raymond Weil, Logines, and etc. Not all Swiss watches are alike and I just don't think these brands have the storied background that a Rolex or an IWC would have.

7. BoredMan

BoredMan Member

You don't plunk down thousands of dollars on a timepiece, because you just want a watch that tells time.

A $20 quartz digital watch made in China will tell more accurate time than Swiss timepieces costing tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars.

When you spend thousands on a timepiece, you're doing to, because:

1 - You just want to. Why not? You don't buy a Ferrari just to commute, right?
    2 - You can afford to. There are those who appreciate the finer things in life, no matter how impractical or overpriced they may be. Overpriced watches qualify here as just that.
    3 - Expensive timepieces should be considered more akin to jewelry or accessories. Then, it's more palatable that you spent thousands on an over-engineered timepiece that tells inferior time than a $20 POS plastic, toy watch.
    4 - Personal preference. When I walk down Madison Avenue in NYC, I'll spot a pair of shoes or a watch that I probably shouldn't buy or couldn't afford. But I may still buy that pair of shoes or that watch. No rational reason.

8. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Plus, the Seamaster is ugly. The PO wins hands down.

Yes.

Ebay.

Longines doesn't have a "storied background"? Look it up.

5. Horological appreciation of mechanical watches and their design.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  9. plot

plot Senior member

I just bought myself a Citizen Nighthawk. I've got 6 other watches, but this one's the most expensive so far, and I must say it's exceptionally finished for the price.

[​IMG]

10. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Alright. I've found a heap, too many, and very few have a brown leather band. This is a big ask, but could you guys please tell me:

1) what are some good seiko 5 models (looking for a classic white face with date ala 1950s seamaster)
    2) where to get a good range of bands that will fit

11. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

See this post. In there is a link to a comprehensive list that I made: http://www.styleforum.net/t/223261/poor-mans-watch-thread/2445#post_5999742

12. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Shite, so many choices.

Gut instinct is telling me the SNKK65. What do you guys think?

13. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Great looking watch. I considered it, too. I wanted something with a dial that was less metallic and more white, so went with what I went with. But if you want a stainless steel dial, I have a feeling this pic might back up your gut feel:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

In truth, I was after the white. Many of the images I've found have had a white dial.

Perhaps that watch wasn't standard?

15. dunivan

dunivan Member

see below [please delete]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  16. dunivan

dunivan Member

what watch make is this?

17. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

You have to look at a lot of pics to be sure just how white/silver the dials are. Middle-click the link in column A for the Google Images search. The SNKE49 is one I considered, but I ultimately had to go with the SNKH47 for it's creme dial and red seconds hand. Here it is with the strap I ended up settling on.

18. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Stowa.

2 people like this.
  19. Onetwobit

Onetwobit Well-Known Member

Probably gonna pick up a $120 seagull on ebay.

20. Venetar

Venetar Member

I really liked the one you posted. But the only SNXS75 I can find have gold in them, which I don't like. I did however find a SNXS79K that looks pretty much exactly like the one in your picture:
    http://www.firstclasswatches.co.uk/seiko-5-gents-automatic-snxs79k-p-6867.html

Any clue what the difference is? And can I change the band this one (Haven't had a watch since I was 10 years old and don't have a clue...).