• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mackmittonz

Reaction score

I am sorry but who in their right mind would tell you to just buy a new watch instead of servicing a Blue Spark? First of all, the watch can't be more than 4 years old. In other words, a modern movement with parts that shouldn't be hard to find. Second, it's a classic modern Seiko watch if there ever was one. I would have done the same as you.

It was one of those jewelry stores that thought the only watch worth anything was Rolex. Gotta love the educated sales people.

peteyyytran

Reaction score
Wow! I definitely thought poor man's we were thinking 100 and below. Looks like you guys have some awesome pick ups for decent price! A bit too high for a low baller like me, what are your opinions on any of these? Too cheap? I hear great things about Timex Weekenders and Seiko 5's. A friend has them and i think they look great. Maybe one of these since I had ordered one for a friend for his bday but haven't gotten to see him wear it yet.

http://bit.ly/SFGrI6

Last edited:

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My personal arbitrary definition is anything under $350. Under $100 is a bit limiting really.

If you look at the first posts in the thread, $1k watches were being posted.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Replacement battery on Eco Drive will run you around $50-$70 just FYI.

Thank you - good to know.

Do you know how long they last?

And is it easy to just drop them in?

Bort99

Reaction score
Say you're dead-set on finding a Seiko SVCS013 Blue Spark—aside from Watchuseek, Timezone and eBay, anywhere else to look?

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yahoo! Japan auctions? Can you read Japanese?

Have you taken a look at the Seiko SARB models, or Orient Star? Orient was making some really cool ones for a while.

Bort99

Reaction score
Thanks, good suggestions. Some of those SARB models are really nice, especially the 031 and I'll have to give that one some thought. Same goes for the Orient Star line, but I haven't found one there that's really to my taste.

I can't read Japanese, unfortunately. It occurred to me to try searching Sekaimon a while ago and this is what came up:

I imagine that the dog is saying, "You really don't know what you're doing, do you?" I see that there are proxy and translation websites that claim to let you bid on these sites in English, but it seems like they require a deposit to open an account and generally seem a little janky—search seems imprecise and I can't imagine it's easy to set up saved searches.

adamk77

Reaction score
This was just delivered to me this morning. A brand called Rodina, a Nomos homage. I really wanted a Stowa Antea 390 but $800 isn't a poor man's watch for me :) I got it from Taobao using a Taobao agent (first time). I'm very happy with it. I got it for $130 (watch was $90, Taobao agent fee $10, shipping $30). It's a self-winding mechanical, and the movement is Seagull ST17.

djwoblely

Reaction score

This was just delivered to me this morning. A brand called Rodina, a Nomos homage. I really wanted a Stowa Antea 390 but $800 isn't a poor man's watch for me :) I got it from Taobao using a Taobao agent (first time). I'm very happy with it. I got it for $130 (watch was $90, Taobao agent fee $10, shipping $30). It's a self-winding mechanical, and the movement is Seagull ST17.

That watch is pretty clean!!
Can you explain how you acquired this? Googled taobao and its in Chinese.

Last edited:

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DSC_2050.jpg

adamk77

Reaction score

That watch is pretty clean!!
Can you explain how you acquired this? Googled taobao and its in Chinese.

You cant buy it directly from Taobao. You need to use someone called a Taobao agent to buy the watch for you and then ship it to you. They charge you a small fee. I used the agent at this link http://www.taobao-buying-agent.com/

What you do is, you give the agent the link to the watch you want (that you found on Taobao). Taobao is in Chinese though, so you have to use Google translate. You should be able to find this watch from this link here (use Google translate): http://s.taobao.com/search?q=%BA%A3%C5%B8%D4%AD%D7%B0m187S&initiative_id=staobaoz_20121017

It's rather involved, but I was able to get the watch for around $130 (watch $90, agent fee $10, shipping $30). The entire process took 2 weeks.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads