• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

theruk

Reaction score
I bought a Seiko blue spark in part to tide me over until I get a 5001-07 (refuse to spend more than 2k salary dollars on a watch and very leveraged 'investing' has been tricky recently).
I've got it on a tan gator strap that's a great honey brown with a couple years' patina.

Sounds pretty tasteful. Any pics of the watch?

I usually end up leaving the house with my Tag Carrera twin time auto which I love. I removed the chain link band (couldn't get it to fit my wrist right and was too formal anyway), and put on a black leather strap to match the black face to make it more casual. It's my go to watch. I really like clean, simple looking watches like that. I have two handwound beater homages [panerai/iwc] I'll wear out to the bars and what not. Ironically I get more comments on my panerai homage than I do my actual tag. Women I guess. Impressed by the biggest shiniest thing they see? o_O;

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can't find a blue numeral/hand IWC port homage or another PM's watch that has the same feel that isn't total garbage. Sad days. I obviously don't do replicas or fakes.
cold%5B1%5D.gif

Any recs?

Seems like the respectable thing to do is to just acquire a seiko 5 auto and frankenstein it with a nice strap. Really want that clean IWC white faced feel though.

I would probably Steinhart or Stowa Marine if it's within your budget. Stowa can be found for around $500 used and can be easily sold when you get your grail. Of course the Stowa Marine Chrono looks a lot closer but overpriced IMO.

Last edited:

theruk

Reaction score
I would probably Steinhart or Stowa Marine if it's within your budget. Stowa can be found for around $500 used and can be easily sold when you get your grail. Of course the Stowa Marine Chrono looks a lot closer but overpriced IMO.
Wow. I like that a lot actually.

A question I've been meaning to ask SF:

What mediums do you all use mainly for buying/selling used watches?

lamergod

Reaction score

Nice. Which site did you buy it from?

I bought an automatic parnis IWC portugese homage from manbushijie a while ago I believe... The automatic was really clunky and I could audibly hear it wind everytime I shifted my hand. Does this one have a similar issue? How's it feel?

I got it from the same place as you did. The ticking is pretty loud on mine as well. It feels pretty good. Well I haven't held any expensive watches apart from an AP ROO for a brief glorious moment, so I can't really compare the finish to high end watches. But for that price, it is definitely a steal. I wear it to school as an everyday watch and get tonnes of compliments on it.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 1% being that gap. It would be a better looking watch without that display back, or with a better movement mount. I guess you could just never take the watch off...

drmmr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where can you find Stowas for around $500? I've been stalking WUS for a bit now and haven't seen any in that price range. Or maybe my eyes and memory fail me.

Last edited:

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow. I like that a lot actually.

A question I've been meaning to ask SF:

What mediums do you all use mainly for buying/selling used watches?

Mostly just Timezone myself but Watchnet sometimes.

Where can you find Stowas for around $500? I've been stalking WUS for a bit now and haven't seen any in that price range. Or maybe my eyes and memory fail me.

You are partly right. I found a couple that were $550 with shipping included, but they were the lowest. You'd have to be patient to find it at that price or negotiate them down. New they are 478eur. I assume the high resale is due to the fact they take so long to aquire from Stowa directly.

$540
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6144446&rid=0
$550
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6035844&rid=0

theruk

Reaction score
Mostly just Timezone myself but Watchnet sometimes.
You are partly right. I found a couple that were $550 with shipping included, but they were the lowest. You'd have to be patient to find it at that price or negotiate them down. New they are 478eur. I assume the high resale is due to the fact they take so long to aquire from Stowa directly.
$540
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6144446&rid=0
$550
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6035844&rid=0

Probably right. Someone was selling one here on the b/s board. I think he was asking 1,000 that retailed 1,500.

Just have to hunt I suppose.

theruk

Reaction score
You get 99% of the style at 4% of the cost. It's a huge win. Stop worrying about the damn ticking. In other times, a loud watch was a sign of success!

It's not the ticking that got me. It's the damn zzZZZ noise of the automatic swinging endlessly around the inside of the watch. It sounded unnatural and weird. I had people ask me wtf the noise was like we were being haunted. After it got brought up a few times I just stopped wearing it.

If it weren't for that, I would wholeheartedly agree with you. I have no qualms sacrificing quality of function if the aesthetics are there. But when people think they're starting to go crazy because they're hearing my watch zip around.. I think that's where I draw the line.

Last edited:

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my Seiko blue spark. I don't have the photography skills to get the blued hands to show up in a photo. There are some good ones online.

aha4ypah.jpg

he2uny5e.jpg

a8aqu4yr.jpg

Flash shot that better shows the color of the strap (which actually cost more than the watch itself).
ude5ame2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads