1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. ant702

ant702 Senior member

"NONONONO," get outa there now! I think you would do better on-line!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  2. ant702

ant702 Senior member

Man, you should have warned me! Those shirts are for young gents(I dont think it wil work out with my beer-belly[​IMG]) , plus you need deep pockets! You guys are spending alota cash on clothes, its fine if you have it/like it ! Careful,please, dont go for broke, you still have to eat[​IMG] I love the finer things in life, but you have to have limits!

3. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

I don't really see what the issue is with regard to servicing a boutique brand watch down the line, even if the brand goes bust. Unless the watch really malfunctions (WR fails and it floods), most servicing will be pretty straightforward.

4. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Thinking about plucking this: Citizen Eco Drive about $180 to $225

I just like the minimalist white dial chrono with Arabic numbers. Any better alternatives in the same price range?

[​IMG]

5. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

How about replacing the sapphire, case back or crown tube? Rolex is still in business but they have problems with replacement parts on some models.

6. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

If I shatter the sapphire on my squale, I am sure i can at the very least find an aftermarket acrylic that will fit. As far as I know, a lot of boutique divers also have standard gauge crown tubes and again an aftermarket can be sourced (MKII has screwed in crown tubes which can be problematic, or at the very least costly, to replace if MkII disappears). Having said that, I am very careful not to strip the threads on any of my crown tubes and haven't had an issues. With regard to the caseback, I'm not sure, but considering my watch will only be opened once every 5-7 years, I'm not too worried.

7. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

WhoKnewI, have you ordered a Nassau? I am thinking hard on it.

The Squale's look good. :slayer:

8. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

Ahab, I want one so bad. A Nassau, a reintroduced stingray, a Stowa Antea KS black, and a Speedy are on my to buy list. The nassau, however, is at the top. I wish bill would print "nassau" on the dial on tho. It seems a little naked without it when compared to the kingston.

I really wish I had gotten a kingston. No way am i going to pay any of the prices being asked now for a kingston.

9. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

Yeah, I love the Squales. The mazi, the root beer, and the heritage are amazing. The vintage is great too too but long gone. =/

The watch is incredibly balanced, and it seems to be higher quality than Steinhart divers. 120 click bezel as well.

10. Hebrewhops

Hebrewhops New Member

I have been wearing this as my casual everyday and have never been more happy with a Timex. Bought it online for about $110. It gets lots of compliments. Reminds me of one of the Bell & Ross models. Looking at a couple other of the Intelligent Quartz'

[​IMG]

11. ant702

ant702 Senior member

I agree with that, as long as you find a true watch maker! I have found that most servicing centers send your watch off to one of these few gents who are still around (living)! And of coarse it all depends on what type of service is needed!

12. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I almost ordered the Steinhart Blue Snowflake because I would REALLY like a blue snow flake but I had some concerns about the quality. I also do not like the name Steinhart. They need a better name to sell more IMHO.

[​IMG]

The Squale looks better from what I can see and I like the dials.

13. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

ye i like that snowflake too, but I've decided to stay away from Steinhart. I didn't have a bad experience with them, but their QC is inconsistent. Also, I am not a fan of the case/lug shape on the Steinhart. I actually don't mind the name, but detest the logo. Looks like a pineapple. The Squale shark and Von Buren logo are far more interesting. I also like the white border around the date wheel. I plan on eventually removing the cyclops as well.

14. WorkingClassDude

WorkingClassDude Senior member

I have no experience with Steinhart, but I LOVE that blue snowflake. Looks like vintage Tudor. How much are those going to be, approximately?

15. ant702

ant702 Senior member

The hands look like one of the Longines dive watches!

16. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Love that Steinhart Arctic Ocean - how does one go about ordering one - I did not see it on their web site?

17. ant702

ant702 Senior member

About those crown threads: In the past I wasnt as careful and it did CO$T me! If the WR is not a big factor for you then I would definatley stay away from screw in crown models! I know there are some models around with 100m WR without the scerw in feature and I believe thats adequate!

18. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  19. cruster

cruster New Member

What model is that? Very handsome.

20. JackAndy

JackAndy Member

I really like that watch.I can't think of anything similar that would be better in that price range. I guess it depends on your style and what you're choosing the watch for.