1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

two really nice sub homages from squale.

2. ant702

ant702 Senior member

Cool, I like that top one! Are they using saphire crystals?

3. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

yes they are. honestly, it's a lot of quality for the price with these subs.

4. driftking

driftking Well-Known Member

Mmmmm
    , Mmmmmm, Singer 911....

5. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

The Bambino and Symphony are great. I have the latter.

Also love the 50th Anniversary power reserve that I just got.

That Seiko looks awesome. How much do they go for?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  6. NiceGuyTom

NiceGuyTom Well-Known Member

Just arrived Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic 44mm:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

I definitely like the design, but the size is a bit beyond the pale, don't you think?

8. NiceGuyTom

NiceGuyTom Well-Known Member

There's the fit compared to the wrist and the fit compared to full body. I'm 6'0" 190lbs so even though I don't have huge wrists it still looks right. I've made the mistake of buying a watch just on wrist fit before... How it looks to to scale to your whole person is much more important imo. It's also sticking out away from the wrist atm due to stiff leather straps. 40-44mm is my sweet spot in watches.

One of the other reasons I wanted a touch larger is it lends itself to the sporty aspect of the watch making it more versatile. Black dress dial that I can pair with any suit, brown strap with stitching and slightly larger size for jean pairings. FYI if they'd made this in a 42 I would have bought it in that size as that's my perfect fitting.

Thanks for the comment!

9. ant702

ant702 Senior member

Tom, do you really like those wall clocks on your wrist! C'mon buddy, you know thats 2big for you[​IMG] The watch is cool,but doesnt look right on thin wrist!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  10. plot

plot Senior member

There's also the fact that camera lens distortion will make a watch seem bigger than it actually is; I notice this effect every time I take a wrist pic.

11. Sander

Sander Senior member

It seems that you can pay anything from about 100 USD (new aftermarket dial) to 500 USD (good condition, original dial and bracelet).

I thought about the Symphony as the first "real" watch for my brother... in which color do you have it?

12. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

It's a shame that nice classical designs like the Hamilton above or the Bambino isn't offered in a 38mm size.

13. Sander

Sander Senior member

I think the 40mm of the Bambino is one of the few examples where "classic meets modern" works. My wrists are slightly on the large side, but I still wear 38mm dress watches. Not everyone is into this very classic, almost retro look though. On my brother, for example, it would simply look silly.

If you want something like the Bambino in 38mm: go vintage.

14. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

The thing is, these classic designs are influenced by dress watches that used to be much smaller, like 34-36mm. Making them 38mm would update them nicely while retaining some of the elegance that inspired them.

Also, for designs that are mostly dial (like the ones we discuss here), they wear a lot larger than bezeled sports watches and the like.

For instance, a Mk XV at 38mm wears pretty similar to a 40mm sub.

All IMHO of course :)

15. Sander

Sander Senior member

I know.

I think a Bambino in 38mm wouldn't work in the sense that it would appeal to a larger audience as a classic-inspired modern dresswatch. Still looks plenty elegant to me.

16. ant702

ant702 Senior member

I think you gotta point there+ I'm blind anyway, I wear corrective lenses! I was teasing him a little[​IMG] Its what he likes,thats really all that matters!

17. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Well, 'the larger audience' may be a poor yard stick for great taste ;-)

If it wasn't we would probably still have the Blue Spark and many of the big watch brand's design's wouldn't be deteriorating as rapidly as they are.

I agree though that the Bambino is a very nice classical design, if only too large for me.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  18. ant702

ant702 Senior member

Your right as well! I cant remember when, or even "WHY" this BIG watch thing exploded! When I started collecting, full blast in 1999 there where only a few! Just for me, @ 40mm, I'm really pushing it!

19. ant702

ant702 Senior member

Well heres a 38mm hami khaki, I wore to work and around town! Needs a new strap though[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member