Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

I don't know the retail on those watches but I can say that if your budget is tight I would suggest holding off until you can afford a better watch.

A good watch is something you keep forever or sell to trade up to a better watch.

The last thing you want is a cupboard full of cheap watches or a list of regrettable purchases.

That being said if you love the look of those watches go for it.

Just think to yourself, if I had $100 or $200 or $300 dollars more would I buy that one?

2. GreekTrojan

GreekTrojan Member

I understand the sentiment but part of the reason I'm on the budget is because I've lost approximately 90lbs this year, still planning on losing some more, then gaining more muscle after that (re lots of new clothes to buy). Plus I really do like the look of those watches, despite the price, just not to the tune of getting both for color considerations. I love the simple face, quality tech (even with an unlimited budget, I really don't see much value in mechanical watches) and would love to eventually get a similar watch but with better materials (aka better leather band, sapphire crystal etc...) but just being prudent for the moment.

3. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

picked up this g shock. My first digital watch and probably not my last. a nice change from my valjoux 7750 powered SINNs.

[​IMG]

4. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

Eco drive makes sense. No maintenance hassles.

If it were me, I would choose the stainless steel version. I do not like gold coloured watches unless they are actually gold.

5. plot

plot Senior member

Does anyone know of any watches that look like this one?

[​IMG]

I'm looking specifically for a cheaper watch, as well as one that is significantly smaller than 50mm (preferably 40 or 42, possible 44).

6. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

I am assuming you like the black case and the number style. Very similar to Bell & Ross vintage 126. Citizen knockoff for 1/20th the price. If you scout around Ebay or Amazon enough...

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BM847...152?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1346174173&sr=1-152

Victorinox
    http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Sw...272?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1346174284&sr=1-272

Timex
    http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T2N700D...300?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1346174368&sr=1-300

7. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

That's a rose gold, isn't it? It will depend on how much you care about matching metals. For some it matters, for others that's being too picky. I like rose gold, but I personally don't care for it mixed with yellow gold. I've always been more attracted to silver tones myself anyway, but that has no real bearing on your purchase.

8. Lord Mulberry

Lord Mulberry Senior member

I got it for my 13th birthday in 1979. I've just run a rule over it and the dial is in the region of 30mm but because the watch has a dome crystal it's difficult to measure. It might be 36mm from edge of casing to the other edge. It has more sentimental value than anything, so I pot a new strap on it.

9. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Where did you get the Rios band?

10. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

I thought it was somewhat similar in colour to the one you've been looking for.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  11. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

It's close, but it's a brighter red:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

13. unrooted

unrooted Senior member

Whats your go to website for watchbands? I'm looking for a burgundy calfskin panerei style band with a deployment clasp for around $50. Is that possible?

14. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

This was posted earlier.
    http://www.strappedfortime.com/shop/