1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

^ Thanks for the replies everyone. My girlfriend was at J crew today.. I THINK she ordered me the military watch in olive, 30% off everything in store which seems like a good deal.

2. Poindexter

Poindexter Senior member

Seiko SNK805 is awesome.

[​IMG]

I have the 809, which is black. Accurate mech movement, reasonable size, display back.

3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Does anyone know what these 'stains' are on one of the components in my watch? I'm painfully unaware of all the names of the pieces, but we're looking at the small gear next to the rotor. You can see some very thin striations. The color is hard to make out from pictures, but they're a dark blue.

Is this normal?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  4. Verf

Verf Active Member

This is a great looking watch!

5. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

Picked up this up a few weeks ago while in a "why not" moment. So far all is good!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  6. Lucan

Lucan Senior member

Here are my three candidates for this thread.

This one I picked up on ebay for 99p and it turned out to be hallmarked silver:
    [​IMG]

This one I got free with a credit card many years ago. I broke the strap's spring pin recently so decided to treat it to a new strap for all of £6.50 from China.
    [​IMG]

And this one I was left by my Grandad when he passed away. I think my Mum and Dad bought it for him when his eyesight was fading about 30 years ago, so they wanted one with large numbers. It's a hand-wound Longines, but I don't know anything about it apart from that.
    [​IMG]

7. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

Very nice watches! Take care of the silver one as it has the potential to tarnish.

Longines was a highly-respected name before the 70s, so you can be assured that yours is of high quality.

Enjoy!

8. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Looks like a modded Seiko Samurai Ti. The Samurai was discontinued and I no longer think it is a good watch for the price you will get one for. But you are right, that is a great looking watch.

Good luck.

9. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I got this watch. The wristband is a little too big when I fully clasp it to my wrist, should i just clip the extra fabric with scissors or should I take it to a proper watch pace and have them cut it?

[​IMG]

10. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

I've successfully done this to my nylon NATOs/ZULUs (and in fact am wearing one today):

1. http://www.hodinkee.com/2012/4/20/video-how-to-shorten-a-nato-strap.html
    2. http://forums.watchuseek.com/f222/how-shorten-nato-strap-483879.html

This should work assuming it's a nylon strap. Be careful not to burn the edges. I've considered going back with a heated piece of metal instead of an open flame to prevent any charring.

11. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

awesome, thanks so much!

12. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Be sure to not get the size too short. I mix and match all my 20mm NATOs between 3 different watches. When measuring the correct length, be sure to use the thickest watch. If you measure with the thinnest watch and cut it so it just goes far enough through the last keeper, you may find that it will not reach the keeper when wearing the thickest watch. You can always cut it shorter later, but once it's too short, it's too short.

13. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Gotcha, i only have 1 watch.. first nice watch i've owned

14. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

oh i just realized I'm suppose to reloop the band around on the nato wristbands, derp

15. bik2101

bik2101 Senior member

anyone know where i can get some nice leather nato straps? i've bought a few on ebay but they're too thin and kinda crappy. want something a bit thicker, maybe 1.5-2 mm.

16. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  17. WorkingClassDude

WorkingClassDude Senior member

To me with a leather nato is has to be a compromise between price and thickness. The C&B fall right in the perfect range... I've not worn it a whole ton and sweated in it much. I'm sure if you wore it daily it'd die in a year or less, but that's not how I wear it. For wearing it every once in a while, the C&B is holding up fine. Most of the rest of the leather Natos I've seen on the net, they are too thick and too expensive. And a lot of them seem to have Zulu rings. I like Zulu rings on Zulus, but in a Nato pattern I feel the round rings and thick leather just add up to too much material around my wrist. So that's another reason I like the Crown & Buckle ones. Low-profile hardware, and the material is about 1mm thick, not much thicker than a nylon Nato.

To each their own, though. If I needed a leather nato on the daily maybe it'd be wise to invest in a thicker one with a premium material...

18. ant702

ant702 Senior member

Yeah you guys are in left feild! Ask any watch maker, not some dumb!@$$ jewler; Omega movements are better than Rolex, the most knocked offf watch in the world![​IMG]

19. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

I finally made my decision.

It came down to the SNKE49 and the SNKH47. I ended up picking the SNKH47 because of off-white dial and the red second hand. Found it for $113 shipped here, though I paid $10 to get it sooner. Bought this Crown & Buckle leather strap to put on it. I'll post pictures when I finally get it. Really looking forward to it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. ant702

ant702 Senior member

Not bad; I have owned seiko 5's in the past; they are affordable, reliable and stylish[​IMG]