1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Put it towards a watch.

2. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

On that note, any recommendations for a single watch watch winder?

3. stylexchangemtl

stylexchangemtl Senior member

I am new here but just wanted to post about 2 watches I own. They are both available for an OK price.

Hamilton khaki GMT and the Sinn UTC model

I really like automatic watches and I need a second time zone for my work, so these 2 were perfect. Just an appreciation post ;)

4. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

No such thing as a poor man's watch winder, really. You could probably get a plastic one on Amazon or something but that's still going to run you $50 for a single.

5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

^ Yeah, checked out some used Orbitas and just not worth it to me at this point. I only have one automatic watch and I guess I'll just have to take it with me on my travels every single week. It's just annoying that I'll have to change the time twice a week to take into account the time zone differences, but guess I'll just learn to deal with it. So, no watch winder for me.. for now, at least.

Back to looking for straps! I'm so beyond lost.. Who knew there could be so many aspects to bands.. crocodile vs alligator.. deployant/deployment bands.. long/normal/short bands.. sigh. Just too many different types of combinations and I don't know what would look best with my Blue Spark.

To be honest, I wouldn't be opposed to spending a bit for a nice band, even though the watch itself isn't very expensive. I guess my best bet is to visit a jewelry store and compare straps in person? I have a thin wrist so I'm starting to think that a 'normal' length band might actually be too long. Apparently the proper length band will cause the buckle to align right in the middle of the bottom of your wrist? I'm always using the second-to-last hole on my straps.

6. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

http://www.ofrei.com/page_70.html

As for winders: if you have more than one auto watch, and especially if one or both do not have quickset date functions, then a winder is a nice convenience. Otherwise they are unnecessary. Many believe they increase wear on the movement. I have a winder, but that's because I have a handful of vintage watches that don't quickset the date.

7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Thanks for the link -- currently checking out the straps.

So, my watch does have a quickset function, but the crown does not pull out in two distinct 'modes.'

In other words, if I pull the crown out all the way, it will change the time, but it only takes a very gentle nudge to push it in to the 1st click, which is the quickset date function. It doesn't 'click' into first position and then second position.

Is this normal? Do I need to get this serviced? It's not so big of a problem where it significantly impedes my ability to set the date/time, but it is something I've noticed.

Also, this is a very stupid question, but do watches with a date function generally take into account how the months change alter from 30/31 days? When it gets to february, for example, is it a given that you're going to have to fast forward the date after the 28th to the 1st for March?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  8. shfunny

shfunny New Member

9. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Dunno about the first part, but most quick sets have two or more crown positions, the first being used to fast set the date. If the watch has day and date functions, turning in one direction with set the day, turning in the other will set the date.

To account for short months you need to set the date forward manually, or, if a non quick set date, advance the whole watch. There are perpetual calendar analog quartz watches which are preprogrammed to automate this process, even for leap years. Seiko used to be big on these.

10. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Yeah, I didn't explain the first part clearly. So yes, there are the two positions for date and time, and in my experience with other watches, you pull it out and feel the first click to get to the date function, and then you pull again to another click for the time position. These two positions are clearly noticeable in that you get that crisp, clicking action as you pull the crown and reach each position.

On my spark, though, the two positions aren't so clearly separated with that clicking action. If I pull the crown, it almost immediately goes to the second position and with just the gentlest amount of pressure, you can nudge it into the 1st position without any click to indicate that it's shifted positions. It's like it's continuous and not distinctly separate. Is that a design thing or is the crown out of alignment (can that even happen)?

Maybe I should get this watch serviced? After all, I did purchase it used and it's probably 2-3 years old.

Thank you for answering my questions.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  11. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

It may be a manufacturing tolerance issue. I don't remember having that issue on my Seiko SBDC007. But I have a similar issue on my SBCM023, which is how I screwed up my perpetual calendar! Couldn't hurt to have it looked at.

12. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

This makes sense to me. In fact I was tempted to unload my vintage watch with the date function just because of this inconvenience. Otherwise I feel that winders are unnecessary.

13. Cantabrigian

Best watch value in the known universe.

[​IMG]

To get a watch that's better looking / better made, you'd have to add a zero at the end of the price.

1 person likes this.
  14. dainese

dainese Active Member

Hello gentlemen,

I ended up getting the bambino, and Geez it is quite lovely. Thanks all.

Below are some pics, do you think it's too big for my wrists? I'm quite skinny, but not too short.
    It's the same diameter as my Maurice lacroix miros, but the clean design and bezel makes the bambino look like a 50mm lol.

Let me know what you guys think please?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks all!

15. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

I really like the Bambino but I wish it was smaller, especially for a classic design like that.

1 person likes this.
  16. WorkingClassDude

WorkingClassDude Senior member

I have a Seiko Black Monster (from 2010 I think) and it also lost it's solid-click action between adjusting the date and time. Different movement though to the Blue Spark. It had the perfect double-click feel for several months, but I moved on to other watches and the Monster got drawered for a while. And after I started wearing it again, I noticed that the clicky feel was gone, and setting stuff now has a little trick to it. It's a minor inconvenience, it's not the end of the world. The watch still functions fine in all other aspects. And the rest of my Seikos (5 or 6 of them) all work perfectly.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  17. rclark

rclark Active Member

Hugo Boss has some nice watches which are made by Movado...prices are decent.

18. roomiller

roomiller Senior member

RIght now Im switching between the bambino and the bulova 96a109. I got the bulova as a gift and dont really love it, but I get a ton of compliments and looks when wearing it so I tend to favor it a little more.

19. Cantabrigian

Bambino is great. I also own the Symphony - which is the same thing but with flat, as opposed to domed, glass.

The only thing that bugs me is that it says 'Water Resistant.'

It seems so out of place on a watch that is so obviously not sporty.

20. dainese

dainese Active Member

Agreed. As have a few others in the thread, and also on the wornandwatch review article. Proposed that it be called bambini
    I saw your old blue spark. what a stunner!

The Bambino says "water Resist". Nice font, but unusual

looking at the Symphony now. Maybe the flatness will cause less bulk