Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Since I'm poor and only own an Omega, I figure I better have the right one! I have the opportunity to trade my SMP for a PO. If I do this I'd need to add some money (don't know about 1K) to sweeten the deal. What do you think of these two beasts? Right now I have the Seamaster Pro: [​IMG] I could have the Planet Ocean instead (would need to add 1K): [​IMG] Which would you recommend? (For the watch snobs, they're both the same co-axial movement, although the PO is 42mm and the SMP 41mm.) My attire is fancy, slim fit dress shirts and pants. I wear a suit every few weeks but not every day. I'm early thirties going on 17, and on weekends am more likely to be found wearing a nice polo and diesel jeans. Thanks in advance my esteemed SF members!

2. ratratan

ratratan Active Member

you're gonna trade it in or are you deciding between the 2? if you already have the seamaster then just use it. it's not a bad looking watch by far. i quite like the PO though. i also like the aqua terra and another more dive style of watch of which i forget the serial number. here it is. i just searched for a seamaster pro.. [​IMG]

3. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

Shit. Do you guys think Omega is a poor man's watch?[​IMG]

Regards.

4. MrGoodBytes

MrGoodBytes Senior member

1k for a watch hardly qualifies as poor man.

both are great choices at that level though.

5. PBristolJr

PBristolJr Active Member

1k for a watch hardly qualifies as poor man.

both are great choices at that level though.

Agreed!

6. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

Neither one of these is particularly thin. I have a SMP and I can't get it under most cuffs. It is a 36mm version that I have had since 1997.

I would like to add a JLC Master Ultra Thin to the collection, so I can actually wear a watch with suits and SCs.

Mike

7. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Shit. Do you guys think Omega is a poor man's watch?[​IMG]

Regards.

I know I came in here thinking I was going to see Stührlings, Fossils, Timex, Seikos and the like. So, if owning an Omega means your poor then I'm skrewed [​IMG]

8. HeyItsBryan

HeyItsBryan New Member

I know I came in here thinking I was going to see Stührlings, Fossils, Timex, Seikos and the like. So, if owning an Omega means your poor then I'm skrewed [​IMG]

I was thinking the same thing...[​IMG]

9. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

Neither one of these is particularly thin. I have a SMP and I can't get it under most cuffs. It is a 36mm version that I have had since 1997. I would like to add a JLC Master Ultra Thin to the collection, so I can actually wear a watch with suits and SCs. Mike
    That's a great watch. I've been looking at a Breguet Marine for a nice dress watch, but wasn't sure if it would fit under my cuffs. If not, the JLC is next on my list.

10. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

Back on topic -- I can't speak for all the brands, but Seiko, Sea-Gull etc certainly make some outstanding high quality watches at very low price points. No one would think that they are "budget" watches.

11. KtownGreg

KtownGreg Senior member

Both are nice watches. I find the PO a bit more difficult to wear every day due to the thickness. They both have the coaxial movt. (a plus). I believe the SMP is a bit more versatile.

But if only one it is hard to beat a Speedy (which can be had for less than 2K and serves many straps/looks easily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. ktrp

ktrp Senior member

Where are the poor men's watches?

I bought a seiko 5 for $110 or so a couple of months ago.

Its currently running within 1 second/day.

13. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  14. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

^ Now that's what I was thinking...if this thread kept on that pace I'd be more comfortable posting pics of my humble collection [​IMG]

Dig the Parnis...I've been toying with the idea of getting a 44mm 1950 style Marina Militare.

15. B|aze

B|aze Senior member

Here's a poor mans watch [​IMG]