Poor man's Panerai?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by william, Oct 16, 2008.

1. GloStiX

GloStiX Senior member

There was a kit to build your own Panerai 111 style watch with no markings somewhere on the internet for less than $150 if I recall correctly. High quality Unitas movement that IWI Marine Diver uses, comes with all the tools and a leather strap.

2. Chips

Chips Senior member

[​IMG] I loved the design and size of Panerai, but couldn't afford one. I bought a cheap knock off in San Jose, and found a nice stingray band to put on it. My guilt over owning a cheap knock off is small, but the large scuff that the glass picked up keeps me from wearing it. But it does take a good deal of pleasure out of the occasion, knowing that it's fake. It makes me want to save up and eventually own a genuine one. For now, I instead wear the hell out of my Raymond Weil, but at least that one is genuine. Please excuse the pathetic staged photo, I'm trying to get better at framing and capturing close up shots.

3. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

It's fine to get an affordable watch, but I think it's a little cheesy to get one that is so obviously modeled upon the object of your desire (To me, IWI MD looks totally like a PAM knockoff. ) There are plenty of original, nice watches of similar size and style in your price range.

FWIW and I know that's not helpful to the OP here, I'm of the same opinion.

4. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Understood and agreed.

I just hate going half-assed. A BMW is great in its own right. If the OP wants a Panerai, he should get a Panerai. Or he could get something that's ALMOST a Panerai and never be fully happy with it. In my experience, every time I've wanted X and compromised with Y, I've always wished that I'd just waited a bit longer and gotten what I wanted in the first place.

+1 on this. And I'd sooner get a 2nd hand Panerai logo model than get a replica/homage. There are other places, not just TZ, that offers pre-owned Panerais out there. And, with the way the global economy is going- I wouldn't be surprised to see more pre-owned watches up for sale in the coming months.

Re: fakes- I absolutely won't throw money on them.

5. william

william Senior member

Thanks for the replies.

The purpose of my post was to find something in the same vein as the Radiomir... not a fake/replica.

6. william

william Senior member

Why don't you just save up and get the real thing? Can't you get a basic Panerai for like $5,000? Is that such a far cry from $1,500?

Yes. 5K is absolutely a far cry from 1.5K.

7. theguy

theguy Senior member

The real thing also goes up in value so you can think of it as an investment you are wearing. Thats what I tell everyone when they say im an ass for spending so much on a watch You could probably get a second hand one for about 4k [​IMG]

8. base615

base615 Senior member

9. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Thanks for the replies.

The purpose of my post was to find something in the same vein as the Radiomir... not a fake/replica.

Have you looked at the Glycine Eugene Meylan for a lower-priced cushion-case watch? It's not too bad and it's not a PAM knock-off

[​IMG]

10. penguin vic

penguin vic Senior member

The real thing also goes up in value so you can think of it as an investment you are wearing. Thats what I tell everyone when they say im an ass for spending so much on a watch You could probably get a second hand one for about 4k
    If the real thing goes up in value how come people keep saying to go on timezone and get a (real) second hand one at a better price ..? [​IMG]

11. whallyden

whallyden Senior member

12. sfo423

sfo423 Senior member

Not true. I don't own a Panerai but I have had a Rolex and a Baume & Mercier since '92; they have not increased in value (albeit not Panerai). If you have a LE or model that is not produced anymore, maybe its value has increased.

I do have a nicely restored vintage two-stroke that has appreciated nicely though.

The economy is sliding; buy a used one at a nice discount from someone that is living on a few months $ cushion and has never seen a recession. That's called a motivated seller.

The real thing also goes up in value so you can think of it as an investment you are wearing.
    Thats what I tell everyone when they say im an ass for spending so much on a watch

You could probably get a second hand one for about 4k

[​IMG]

13. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

A interesting Radiomir homage is the Precista Italian by Eddie Platts/Timefactors.com. It uses Unitas 6497-1 movement and runs £335. [​IMG]

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I think you should save up for the real thing. Hopefully, for your sake, it will take long enough that you will realize in the meantime that they are hideous watches. [​IMG]

15. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I think you should save up for the real thing. Hopefully, for your sake, it will take long enough that you will realize in the meantime that they are hideous watches. [​IMG]

[​IMG]