• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade, wax, lotion, fiber, etc. - what's what

KobeMan

Reaction score
Okay.....I'm seeing all these different hair styling products and I'm confused as ever as to what is for what AND which of the salon brands are best?

I have long straight hair, just past my ear. So ideally, I'm looking for a product that can give my hair a moist look, not too stiff, definitely not hard, and giving me control over my hair during the day. I would like it to have some movement. So for example, gel is out of the question. What do you advise? thanks

thc

Reaction score
I think probably the best thing is to use a leave-in conditioner to give your hair some weight but not make it too heavy.  I have short hair, but I still use a conditioner because I can still style my hair, leaving it soft.  I don't like the hard "crunchy" feel that gel gives, and pomade is too greasy for me.  Wax might be good, but it's often a pain to use since you have to soften it.

I personally use Kiehl's Creme with Silk groom and am very happy with it.

Renwick

Reaction score
I do agree this is in the wrong section of the forum, but what the hck I'll answer while it's here.I use to have hair similar to that (you can kinda see it in the picture). I used pomade to get the effect you mentioned. Some pomades are gross though and too greasy- try a few and see what you like. Leave in conditioner works, as THC said, but is not as good for syling as it is for just making your natural hair style soft and glossy, IMO. If you want to restyle your hair you may needa product with more hold.I also liked "Manipulator" for Tigi's bedhead line. Wax is best for shirt spikey hair (which I have now) not for long hair.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
The topic is moved, gentlemen. Sorry it took so long- was out of town, and do minimal e-mail where dial-up is involved.
sad.gif

RainCityClotheshound

Reaction score
While we're on this subject, I was wondering if anyone could recommend hair care products for someone with fine hair. Because my hair is also somewhat thin,I keep my hair trimmed fairly short. I've been using gel,but have heard  "that's SO 80's." Plus,while gel gives me the hold I want,it also weighs it down. I'd like to find something to help "texturize" it,so that I have more styling options. Thank you for your help. Â
biggrin.gif
Mitch

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with gel is that it tends to flake as it dries.  A while ago, I permanently switched to wax/pomade.  Most of these products are fairly similar, with slightly differing levels of hold.  I personally like Bumble and Bumble Sumo Wax.  Two drawbacks: (1) it is quite expensive, and (2) the odor, while not offensive, is not exactly fragrant.

thc

Reaction score
While we're on this subject, I was wondering if anyone could recommend hair care products for someone with fine hair. Because my hair is also somewhat thin,I keep my hair trimmed fairly short. I've been using gel,but have heard "that's SO 80's." Plus,while gel gives me the hold I want,it also weighs it down. I'd like to find something to help "texturize" it,so that I have more styling options. Thank you for your help.
biggrin.gif
Mitch
Try a styling cream or wax. The one I used to use and liked was made by the British version of Frederic Fekkai. His name was Charles something. I think they sell his products at Sephora. I'll let you know if I remember his whole name.

Renwick

Reaction score
While we're on this subject, I was wondering if anyone could recommend hair care products for someone with fine hair. Because my hair is also somewhat thin,I keep my hair trimmed fairly short. I've been using gel,but have heard  "that's SO 80's." Plus,while gel gives me the hold I want,it also weighs it down. I'd like to find something to help "texturize" it,so that I have more styling options. Thank you for your help. Â
biggrin.gif
Mitch
My hair is very fine as well. I recommend Tigi Bedhead Manipulator for most styles. It has good hold and can even spike your hair if you needed to, but without the hardness and flakiness of gel.

thc

Reaction score
The product line I was thinking of is called Charles Worthington. I forget the name of the product I used. But it was kind of a creamy wax that allowed you to style your hair, but still left it soft.

Mike

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of pomade and have used a variety of different brands. I really like Murray's. It's kind of a pain to melt the stuff in a sink of hot water but it holds better and you can go back throughout the day and fix your hair up. Murray's also makes a thinner formula which I haven't tried. I also have had good success with Royal Crown, which is a little thinner (you don't need to loosen it in hot water) but holds well. Only problem is it has a scent to it which may throw some people off. Look in the African-American part of the hair care aisle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads