• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade suggestions...

Shorty Long

Reaction score
I'm currently a Murray's man, but I'm starting to get tired of the 'build up' in my hair. Here's what I'm looking at, any feedback is appreciated:

Pinaud's Pomade, Black & White Pomade, Woody's headwax pomade and Kiehls creme wax

my hair is pretty thick and i like to keep it short...i like the way murray's makes my hair look, but I want something with less petroleum and that washes out easier.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
B&W is a mid-thin pomade...not much hold, good for slicking. Smells great

Pinauds is my #1 recommendation. Water based, completely washes out and can even be used as a "cleaner" to get out oily pomade already in your head. Strong hold. Def worth trying if you want to get away from Murrays.

There's ton other good oil based pomades better than Murrays that are harder to get and cater to the rockabilly scene. Robs Chop Shop and Greaserbilt being my top picks.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I want to try some pomade since I slick my hair back with gel. But I shower in the morning, not at night. Will putting a pomaded head on a pillow overnight be the disaster I am thinking it will be?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Will putting a pomaded head on a pillow overnight be the disaster I am thinking it will be?

yes it will. I used to change my covers every 2-3 days. nothing worse than putting your face in a pillow with pomade residue. *blech*
crazy.gif

...which is why I am so strongly pro-Pinauds. Some guy in OC is going around selling a rebadged version of it called Hawleywood's (the name of his barber shop in Costa Mesa) which is finally getting popular among the greaser crowd. But his stuff is $10/can and Pinaud's is only about $4

Shorty Long

Reaction score
Here's another I found on Rob's Chop Shop...

Sweet Georgia Brown...they have a water-based variety...any experience?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shorty Long
Here's another I found on Rob's Chop Shop...

Sweet Georgia Brown...they have a water-based variety...any experience?

I've tried the oil based SGB...a bit thin, didnt like it, my hair is thick so I need a heavy weight pomade. The water based must be new, hadn't heard of that one before. I wouldnt be surprised if more companies didn't rip off the Pinaud formula. The Japanese brand "Cool Grease" was one of the first I know of to do so.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Though I don't use it regularly anymore because my hair looks better au naturale, I used to use American Crew pomade pretty much daily. It held up well, didn't flake much, and washed out very easily. It's a tad expensive (around $14 each at drugstore.com), but I didn't have to use much. A can typically lasted me for about a month.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Smart, what does the Clubman pomade have over the others as far as keeping the pillow funk free?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Smart, what does the Clubman pomade have over the others as far as keeping the pillow funk free?

I didn't think there was any pillow funk with the Pinaud. There is residual scent from your head of course, but not that gross film that seems to cover your pillows with the greasy stuff. Try a can out, worst case scenario you'll be out $3-5

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thank you, kind sir. i am assuming that the difference between pomade and gel is that pomade doesn't dry, right?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
thank you, kind sir. i am assuming that the difference between pomade and gel is that pomade doesn't dry, right?

There are a few distinct differences....gel dries crunchy, and if you comb thru your hair after it's set you lose the hold it once had. Pomade stays pliable even while holding your hair in place so you can comb thru it throughout the day and keep the same hold/look all day long.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ahhh exactly what I need. I know most people prefer natural hair styles, but I cannot stand when my hair falls in my face, I need to slick it back.

Oliver

Reaction score
I like my hair somewhat slick/pomped and wet, but hate the build-up. I use Suave's Groom 'n Clean (like bryl-cream, but water based), and a bit of regular gel for hold. Has the same effect as the expensive water-based pomades, but at a fraction of the price.

Oh, and I still use a tiny bit of Murray's for spot-treatment, like along my part or on a temple cowlick.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
B&W is a mid-thin pomade...not much hold, good for slicking. Smells great

Pinauds is my #1 recommendation. Water based, completely washes out and can even be used as a "cleaner" to get out oily pomade already in your head. Strong hold. Def worth trying if you want to get away from Murrays.

There's ton other good oil based pomades better than Murrays that are harder to get and cater to the rockabilly scene. Robs Chop Shop and Greaserbilt being my top picks.

Rockabilly dudes used to mix cigarette ash with their pomade in some circle, do they still do that?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads