1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Polywool for pants?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by josepidal, Apr 11, 2006.

1. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

I tried some polywool from a local bazaar as a test run for a tailor near me. It was a nice pinstripe and felt soft enough, and you can't argue with $15 for a bolt for a pair of pants. What exactly are the major disadvantages to using polywool over pure wool for your trousers?

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I tried some polywool from a local bazaar as a test run for a tailor near me. It was a nice pinstripe and felt soft enough, and you can't argue with $15 for a bolt for a pair of pants. What exactly are the major disadvantages to using polywool over pure wool for your trousers?

A small amount of poly won't kill you. But, in general, polyster breathes poorly and tends to develop a shine.

3. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

If the bottom line is the most important, you probably can't argue with that price, especially with your cheap tailoring. Don't wear them on a plane or near a campfire.

4. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

The bottom line for a first job, that is.

Why not on a plane?

5. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Leather seats.

6. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Synthetics are very flammable and can cause nasty burns, possibly resuling in death or disfigurement.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Synthetics are very flammable and can cause nasty burns, possibly resuling in death or disfigurement.
    One can see that many people on planes then, will be hideously disfigured, if so.

8. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member

I wore a pair of polywools on a cross country flight and hated them. The seats were leather and the trousers kept sliding.

9. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

As well, polyester content in the fabric will cause the trousers to pill up faster. Avoid and seek out a nice tropical worsted.

10. Matt

Matt Senior member

As well, polyester content in the fabric will cause the trousers to pill up faster. Avoid and seek out a nice tropical worsted.
    oh dear god VG, you know better than to recommend this to jose..now we will have infinite "how do i know if this is a nice tropical worsted" threads. jose, you spent 15 bucks, a sum rivalled only by, well, me wear em til they dont look good turf em spend 15 more.

11. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

a sum rivalled only by, well, me
    We shall see if my trip to Hanoi gives me the occasion to rival your record.

12. Matt

Matt Senior member

sorry i dont know anyone up there, but there is a big fabric market in the old quarter and dozens of local tailors that should charge around $5 for pant tailoring

Language will be a problem. Find a very old guy and you have some chance of French.

Come down to Saigon and I can totally look after you though

13. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

oh dear god VG, you know better than to recommend this to jose..now we will have infinite "how do i know if this is a nice tropical worsted" threads.
    a lighter?

14. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

oh dear god VG, you know better than to recommend this to jose..now we will have infinite "how do i know if this is a nice tropical worsted" threads.

Sorry. Guess I wasn't thinking.