• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polygraph tests

garmentmerchant

Reaction score
If a job asked you to take a polygraph would you do it? What if you know your going to fail? Telling the truth would be incriminating and lieing would be just as bad. I have a friend who has had a shady past, never convicted or arrested of anything and is living the straight and narrow for many years, but is facing a lie detector to get into a law enforcement position Hes really sweating it. Whats everyones thaughts on this.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't agree to anything that has no upside for me.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Your friend just might be screwed. "Have you ever done anything illegal" followed by "Have you ever been convicted of a crime" will be interesting. In all likelihood they'll pick up on that as polygraphs work best on reward/punishment system which would appear to weigh pretty heavy for your friend.

andrewwang

Reaction score
No. There's a reason polygraph tests arnt admissible as evidence in court. He might appear to be lying even if its only a related topic hes being asked questions about, etc.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends. For an actual security clearance, e.g. secret or top secret clearance, yes I'd take a poly. They are more concerned that you will admit these things than they are about what you've actually done.

For anything else, I don't see an upside other than getting the job, so I'd likely refuse unless I was desperate.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, the person giving the test should be thought of as an interrogator. The easiest way for them is to get you to give confessions, or contradict something you've already said or written. They just hook you to a machine to freak you out. Sure the machine can tell when your pulse or breathing rates change, but they are really hoping you will spill the beans out of fear the machine is going to get you. They also use two way mirrors and all that fun stuff.

If you're trying to get a fed.gov job, and you fail the test, that will go in your FBI file. And that's bad for future government job searching.

The person is not your friend, no matter how nice they act. Or mean they act. Or they might play good cop/bad cop with you. They are merely trying to get information.

They will ask you questions that they know the answer to.
"Have you ever stolen anything?" they know everyone has stolen something
- "ok, well other than as a child, have you ever stolen anything?"
-- "well, other than things under $100, have you ever stolen anything? What about recently, in the last 5 years?" etc, etc etc. Drip, drip, drip, they add on extra clauses and tease information out of you.

"have you ever done drugs"
"have you ever taken a prescription drug after the 'script expired?"
"well other than MJ a few times, have you ever done serious drugs?"
"well how many is a few? More or less than 10 times?"

If you admit to using alcohol, they will probably ask you if you've ever used a car after drinking. And if you don't admit to using alcohol, and the job involves interviews with references and former employers, they may ask them if you drink, trying to catch you in a lie.

Sometimes, for fed.gov jobs, they will tell you it didn't work and ask you to come back later. Then they will run you threw the paces again. I have read the Secret Service and NSA put you through up-to 3 polygraphs. Also, many times they will start in the morning and go past lunch, with no break.

There is a lot more to 'taking a polygraph' than sitting there answering questions. Its a total mind-****, and everything about you is being critiqued and evaluated.

There are some sophisticated online sites to help with polygraph taking. Some of them include multi-chapter, free, downloadable books.

Polygraphs are a shady deal.

Got to go, someone's knocking at the door
tinfoil.gif

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's for a job then you have to take it and I'd look up tricks on how to pass it.

If it were for trouble I was in, I would not take one because if you pass, nobody will care, and if you fail it will look bad.

CutCleanQuick

Reaction score
If he's going into law enforcement he should be able to control his emotions to the extent it takes to pass a polygraph or I doubt he has enough control for the job. Emotional control is really all it takes to pass. Same as with a Psychological Evaluation, which is exceedingly more difficult to transverse and makes a polygraph test feel like amateur hour. The Psych test for a gov job I applied for was cake compared to the one done for my divorce. Thankfully my ex exhibited her full rainbow of colorful emotions during hers.

Being a sociopath works, too.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
One thing that would be interesting is bringing a polygraph machine to a party and strap your friends in and ask the juicy questions.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are voice stress analyzers you can get for that. I think skype even has a plugin.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't there a game show where they hook the contestants up to a lie detector and ask them embarassing questions?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads