• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polygamy: Who's for it?

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
if man want to have 5 or 12 wives, or a woman want tohave the same amount of husbands, why should they be stopped? marriage has become a civil contract should not conditions be changable in contracts?

Because, at least in the U.S., polygamy tends to lead to teenage girls having absolutely no control over their lives.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
abuses happen in all aspects of life, and from waht i have read these abuse when one discusses polygamy in the usa at least still go on and are hidden, if the government permits it the abuses could possibly become more aparent. Plus the same logic was used for a time in the us concerning the supposed negative social aspects of liquor, did prohibition stop the drunkard from getting drunk? And when the action was illegal the nature of the social negatives grew.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
abuses happen in all aspects of life, and from waht i have read these abuse when one discusses polygamy in the usa at least still go on and are hidden, if the government permits it the abuses could possibly become more aparent. Plus the same logic was used for a time in the us concerning the supposed negative social aspects of liquor, did prohibition stop the drunkard from getting drunk? And when the action was illegal the nature of the social negatives grew.

Yes but there's a more direct causal relationship with polygamy. When you propose that one man should have several wives, you implicitly degrade the wives' value as people, and this attitude leads to the sort of abuses we're talking about.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I di dn ot writ e that a should have 7 or x amount of wives or viceversa, I am saying that a man or woman should be able to take on as many husbands or partners as they deem fit. Why? As long the parties enter the marrige agreement freely it should be permited. Thsi is of course asssuming one is of sound mind.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Because, at least in the U.S., polygamy tends to lead to teenage girls having absolutely no control over their lives.

Again, I don`t see what polygamy has to do with teenage girls.

Maybe some cults in the U.S. that also happen to practice polygamy have issues with teenage girls. Those cults could probably be practicing monogamy and have the exact same issues.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
My wife once killed and ate a Dalmation that had wandered into our yard. No, not as tough as an Akita but the damn thing put up what I thought was a courageous struggle and I was proud of her - My wife, not the Dalmation. When I walk through the neighborhood with her I don't worry at all that she will maim small children. She can be quite maternal (she has had four litters). I am concerned she may prove too dominant and aggressive if I bring home a smaller younger woman. She can be fiercely territorial. Anyone have any training tips to avoid this?

Smart alec!

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hchamp
I take it your wife doesn't know you're here?
uhoh.gif

Oh, she's well aware I hang out on these fora. Thank God she doesn't read them!

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Smart alec!

And here I thought you of all people would be most helpful in this regard! While she is not Irish, (this designation is reserved for only the most perfect among us - and of course Conne too) she is of Celtic ancestry - Scottish and Welsh. By your own admission you have "broad" experience here. Im thinking of adding a more lithe and youthful female to the household(Slavic or maybe Brazilian). I saw the thread title and thought I might get some tips on how this could be done. I dont want myself and some young Ukranian import to wind up like Mr. Wiggles the Dalmation.

hchamp

Reaction score
I di dn ot writ e that a should have 7 or x amount of wives or viceversa, I am saying that a man or woman should be able to take on as many husbands or partners as they deem fit. Why? As long the parties enter the marrige agreement freely it should be permited. Thsi is of course asssuming one is of sound mind.

It wouldn't make much difference if it were legalized, except in Mormon communities. Feminism is so deeply entrenched in the modern psyche that very few women would agree to share a husband, and very few men would be able to handle it. So this is more of an intellectual exercise.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Oh, she's well aware I hang out on these fora. Thank God she doesn't read them!

+1.

dapperdude

Reaction score
I've heard polygamy makes it hard for young men in these towns. They can't get wives, and the polygamists sometimes run the young men out of town so they won't compete for the women. They end up homeless and become petty criminals.

I don't have any problems with a man having multiple women, or being married but having a mistress on the side, but keeping a harem of wives is very selfish and contributes to the aforementioned social problems.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dapperdude
I've heard polygamy makes it hard for young men in these towns. They can't get wives, and the polygamists sometimes run the young men out of town so they won't compete for the women. They end up homeless and become petty criminals.

Actually, I read an article recently about how monogamy was much more beneficial to men, on average, than it was to women. It ensures that men who aren't at the top few rungs of the social ladder (which is probably still most of us here despite the income of the average SFer) don't end up competing for what would become a very scarce resource. Certainly life is not pleasant for other male animals whose sexual social structures are built this way. Plus there's the potentia for abuse that Edward Appleby mentioned. And on the (more rare) flipside, there's no way I'm sleeping in the guest bedroom because it's Mr. B's turn tonight.
devil.gif

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
Again, I don`t see what polygamy has to do with teenage girls.

Maybe some cults in the U.S. that also happen to practice polygamy have issues with teenage girls. Those cults could probably be practicing monogamy and have the exact same issues.

Do you not see how it devalues someone as a person to tell them that they are one of n wives of one husband, a husband to whom they must show complete faithfulness and devotion even though his devotion and affection are split between (n-1) other women?

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Do you not see how it devalues someone as a person to tell them that they are one of n wives of one husband, a husband to whom they must show complete faithfulness and devotion even though his devotion and affection are split between (n-1) other women?

Whether they are devalued or not is not really pertanent, just as long as they enter the agreement freely without any cohersion. Many people enjoy submissive relationships or enjoy beeing whipped and paddled, should thses activities be illegall as well becauuse they devalue a person? Or can we say what happens in a perosn's home is there own affair unless cohersion iis involvved which should be illegall.

The natural response to this miight be that they do not know that they are being co hersed or their will is being manipulated by someone thus they are not acting with a freee will. If we follow this logic though all propaganda in thh media should be illegall as well be cauuse it coherses people in someway, or religon should be illeagll as well because it preys upon weak willed individuals.

They are are of the age to enter an agreement which asuumes they are able to foretell and see the the consequences of the said agreement it should be right to enter in the said agreement.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads