• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polygamy: Who's for it?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Oh my! That many?!?

One for all of her personalities, actually.
smile.gif

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread made me wonder...

I wonder if the high divorce rates in many societies now, is like a new form of polygamy (or a flawed attempt at it). Many people have multiple wives throughout their lives, and this results in sharing experiences with multiple women, resulting in more children.

Seems very similar to polygamy.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon

I wonder if the high divorce rates in many societies now, is like a new form of polygamy (or a flawed attempt at it). Many people have multiple wives throughout their lives, and this results in sharing experiences with multiple women, resulting in more children.

It's considered serial monogamy, rather then polygamy.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some years back I was very active in a dog club. Most all the other leading figures were women. The bitchiness, intrigues and the desire of them to recruit me to their side would have been enough to turn me off the idea of polygamy then and there.

My first two wives were absolute demons from hell. My present wife is a royal pain in the @$$ most of the time, although viewed objectively, she is really probably a pretty decent woman, as women go.

That being bonded to a woman is a good thing is the underlying myth of heterosexualty--that woman is life's ultimate prize. With maturity and experience, I now realize what a specious mythology it all is!

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If what you say is true, it's certainly clear that you have lousy taste in wives. Perhaps because you bought the myth that partner is some sort of prize.

Originally Posted by JLibourel
Some years back I was very active in a dog club. Most all the other leading figures were women. The bitchiness, intrigues and the desire of them to recruit me to their side would have been enough to turn me off the idea of polygamy then and there.

My first two wives were absolute demons from hell. My present wife is a royal pain in the @$$ most of the time, although viewed objectively, she is really probably a pretty decent woman, as women go.

That being bonded to a woman is a good thing is the underlying myth of heterosexualty--that woman is life's ultimate prize. With maturity and experience, I now realize what a specious mythology it all is!

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by philosophe
If what you say is true, it's certainly clear that you have lousy taste in wives. Perhaps because you bought the myth that partner is some sort of prize.

Oh, absolutely! If we don't regard women as life's ultimate prizes, the whole underpinnings of heterosexuality--at least monogamous hetersexual family life, as we know it--collapse. I agree that it is a myth and that the whole mythology of woman as the "good guy" of the sexes--loving, caring and nuturing--who will greatly enrich and enhance the life of the man who bonds with her is a sh*t mythology!

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Oh, absolutely! If we don't regard women as life's ultimate prizes, the whole underpinnings of heterosexuality--at least monogamous hetersexual family life, as we know it--collapse. I agree that it is a myth and that the whole mythology of woman as the "good guy" of the sexes--loving, caring and nuturing--who will greatly enrich and enhance the life of the man who bonds with her is a sh*t mythology!

Dude, you rock.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
I'm laughing ****** off at your last couple of posts.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I liken it to leasing a car. You get screwed financially, but at least you get a new model every few years.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I liken it to leasing a car. You get screwed financially, but at least you get a new model every few years.

why not lease a few at the same time
laugh.gif

Sure, it`s more maintenance, but having several cars is better than just one, right? Why does the gov`t have to make restrictions and only allow us to have one car at a time?

SamIam33

Reaction score
I don't think polygamy is how it's meant to be personally. Humans are jealous creatures by nature and I don't think it can end well.

hchamp

Reaction score

A kind of serial polygamy instead of the traditional parallel kind. The reason for polygamy was to allow successful men to have more kids. Modern remarriages are usually more about companionship.

hchamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kai
Mark Twain's view:

Our stay in Salt Lake City amounted to only two days, and therefore we had no time to make the customary inquisition into the workings of polygamy and get up the usual statistics and deductions preparatory to calling the attention of the nation at large once more to the matter. I had the will to do it. With the gushing self-sufficiency of youth I was feverish to plunge in headlong and achieve a great reform here - until I saw the Mormon women. Then I was touched. My heart was wiser than my head. It warmed toward these poor, ungainly and pathetically "homely" creatures, and as I turned to hide the generous moisture in my eyes, I said, "No - the man that marries one of them has done an act of Christian charity which entitles him to the kindly applause of mankind, not their harsh censure - and the man that marries sixty of them has done a deed of open-handed generosity so sublime that the nations should stand uncovered in his presence and worship in silence."

Half of Utah is descended from Brigham Young.
eek.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads