• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polygamy: Who's for it?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The amazing thing about polygamy is, it actually led the US government to threaten to wage a religious war. I think it deserves a nod just to show the whole "religious freedom" thing apparently does not cover some things.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kai
Mark Twain's view:

Our stay in Salt Lake City amounted to only two days, and therefore we had no time to make the customary inquisition into the workings of polygamy and get up the usual statistics and deductions preparatory to calling the attention of the nation at large once more to the matter. I had the will to do it. With the gushing self-sufficiency of youth I was feverish to plunge in headlong and achieve a great reform here - until I saw the Mormon women. Then I was touched. My heart was wiser than my head. It warmed toward these poor, ungainly and pathetically "homely" creatures, and as I turned to hide the generous moisture in my eyes, I said, "No - the man that marries one of them has done an act of Christian charity which entitles him to the kindly applause of mankind, not their harsh censure - and the man that marries sixty of them has done a deed of open-handed generosity so sublime that the nations should stand uncovered in his presence and worship in silence."

crackup[1].gif

On another note, what was that movie with Rodney Dangerfield where he moved to a mormon community and married 6 beautiful young wives?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kai
Mark Twain's view:

Our stay in Salt Lake City amounted to only two days, and therefore we had no time to make the customary inquisition into the workings of polygamy and get up the usual statistics and deductions preparatory to calling the attention of the nation at large once more to the matter. I had the will to do it. With the gushing self-sufficiency of youth I was feverish to plunge in headlong and achieve a great reform here - until I saw the Mormon women. Then I was touched. My heart was wiser than my head. It warmed toward these poor, ungainly and pathetically "homely" creatures, and as I turned to hide the generous moisture in my eyes, I said, "No - the man that marries one of them has done an act of Christian charity which entitles him to the kindly applause of mankind, not their harsh censure - and the man that marries sixty of them has done a deed of open-handed generosity so sublime that the nations should stand uncovered in his presence and worship in silence."

That is too ******* funny.

FrankyG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
Some might argue that their religion forbids it, but this is not true either. The major religions (like Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, etc.) all do not say anything against having multiple wives, or something like concubines.

Hmmm, not true. The Bible forbids it - (1 Timothy 3:2) "The overseer should therefore be irreprehensible, a husband of one wife, moderate in habits, sound in mind, orderly, hospitable. . ."

There are many so called 'Christians' - but calling yourself one doesn't make you one. Most people will simply ignore the parts of their religion/beliefs that don't suit them and do as they please. Hence you'll find plenty of 'Christian' polygamists...oh well...
confused.gif

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FrankyG
Hmmm, not true. The Bible forbids it - (1 Timothy 3:2) "The overseer should therefore be irreprehensible, a husband of one wife, moderate in habits, sound in mind, orderly, hospitable. . ."

There are many so called 'Christians' - but calling yourself one doesn't make you one. Most people will simply ignore the parts of their religion/beliefs that don't suit them and do as they please. Hence you'll find plenty of 'Christian' polygamists...oh well...
confused.gif

Although I am not religious, my understanding is the the verse you are referring to says that religious leaders (ministers, priests, bishops, etc.) are only allowed one wife.

There are many respected figures in the bible that had multiple wives and concubines. The only references saying that only one wife is allowed does not refer to regular people, but only religious figures/ministers.

I would go further and say that there are many more so called Christians (and other faith) that ignore their own teachings (whether it be the bible, koran, whatever) and choose to believe what people around them teach them or make them believe.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone catch HBO's special on true story of Polygamy? They interviewed several people who used to be polygamists and/or living in polygamist compounds and what I heard was sick. It is not uncommon to find fathers pimping their young daughters to other older men. In fact, several former polygamist talked abot the father initiating their daughter into sex. Some real sick sick people.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gumercindo
Anyone catch HBO's special on true story of Polygamy? They interviewed several people who used to be polygamists and/or living in polygamist compounds and what I heard was sick. It is not uncommon to find fathers pimping their young daughters to other older men. In fact, several former polygamist talked abot the father initiating their daughter into sex. Some real sick sick people.

They should of name the show, *The true story of a cult* or something like that.

It doesn`t sound like the issues raised in the show you described have much do with polygamy, as the same issues could be found in a similar cult with monogamous couples.

Also, the things you described like father *pimping* their daughters to older men are common is some cultures. They don`t call it *pimping* though, and it is done for the good of the daughter.

or did the daughter have to ******** with multiple men?

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And how do you all feel about polyandry?

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabienne
And how do you all feel about polyandry?

I don`t see any merits to polyandry, but if people decide to live like that, it should be their choice.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone seriously suggesting there is an upside to polygamy has probably not been married.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Anyone seriously suggesting there is an upside to polygamy has probably not been married.
+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Itinerant
I could say something funny, but I won't. I see polygamy frequently and my observations can be summed up in one word: subjugation.

While there certainly are adult women who willingly enter into these relationships, many of them are arranged marriages invloving teenage girls, some as young as thirteen, and they are frequently married off to close relatives. In most of the cases I have observed the women are considered to be chattels and are treated as such.

It is a disgusting practice.

So your problem lies with underage relationships, arranged marriages, and incest?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
So your problem lies with underage relationships, arranged marriages, and incest?

Clearly there's no problem with any of that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads