1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Polyester Wool Blend Suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by simusince83, Jun 24, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Contango

Contango Senior member

Wouldn't you be worried that your suit would melt on a hot day?

2. Matt

Matt Senior member

*sigh* people are snobs. I am assuming that you are not talking about some kind of shiny ass mirror ball suit, and with that prequalification, I say if it looks good, feels good, tailors well, fits well, suits you, and fits into your budget, then do it.

1 person likes this.
  3. amplifiedheat

amplifiedheat Senior member

They were very comfortable and breathable, and the stretchy fabric was a great bonus where you have a fairly slim Prada-type fit.

I have to think that if you need stretch, you're doing it wrong.

4. Agatha Crusty

Agatha Crusty Senior member

I have to think that if you need stretch, you're doing it wrong.

Maybe the money to do it "right" isn't forthcoming.

In any case, among my several traditional wool suits I also have one with a little stretch in it which I use for travelling and it makes all the difference. Several lazy tailors (including some of those on Savile Row) seem to skip cutting some of the inner construction on the bias - like in the arm scye - and it leaves the suit feeling pretty stiff. Not good if you plan travelling.

5. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

The cloth is marvellous and I'm willing to bet it will blow away any off-the-peg overpriced suit from the likes of YSL etc.

I like to think the bar is a bit higher than YSL around here.

6. Agatha Crusty

Agatha Crusty Senior member

I like to think the bar is a bit higher than YSL around here.

I wouldn't know, I've never had a garment by YSL. I don't buy brands I buy clothes and fit is most important to me.

7. GBR

GBR Senior member

A little research here would show you that this is amongst the silliest ideas that you could have.

8. officeboy

officeboy Senior member

Interesting to me that it is assumed that a wool poly blend is bad, but when someone had a thread here the other day about having returned a suit that was a wool/paper blend he was blasted for caring what was in the suit.
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=228119

9. entrero

entrero Senior member

Fine example of groupthink. However if blend suit fits better, always pick fit over fabric choice

10. rmanoj

rmanoj Active Member

I'm actually wearing one now ([​IMG] ). It was my first ever suit - got it when I was 16 (will be 20 in May) before I knew anything about clothes. It's a charcoal 3-button and I think it still fits quite well (might be a bit on the tight side) and looks OK (trousers need pressing). I put it on today to find out what sort of condition it was in, and then realised why I hardly ever feel like wearing it: the coat is very stiff and uncomfortable compared to my woollen ones. I'm not sure if that applies to all poly/wool blends though.

11. aspirant

aspirant Member

I'm actually wearing one now ([​IMG] ). It was my first ever suit - got it when I was 16 (will be 20 in May) before I knew anything about clothes. It's a charcoal 3-button and I think it still fits quite well (might be a bit on the tight side) and looks OK (trousers need pressing). I put it on today to find out what sort of condition it was in, and then realised why I hardly ever feel like wearing it: the coat is very stiff and uncomfortable compared to my woollen ones. I'm not sure if that applies to all poly/wool blends though.

Pretentiousness is reserved for more senior members. We have to keep it pent up till we're past 500 posts =D

12. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

So, what's the deal with wool/poly or wool/cotton blend fabric for an odd jacket or sport coat in lieu of wearing a cardigan? I am trying to get the same comfortable out of a cardigan but still have the same aesthetic as a jacket. Most soft unstructured jackets seem to be more on the blended material end versus 100% of one type.

Does this come down to personal taste, or is a general rule of thumb to stay away from blends regardless of how one intends to wear their clothes. Again, for me I am prioritizing comfort and fit, then aesthetic.

13. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Looks bad equals looks bad. More than a tiny amount of exterior polyester is likely to make an odd jacket look cheap. Also, with enough polyester, the jacket won't be very breathable. The likely reason many unstructured jackets are blends is because they're low-end items made for casual use. Wool/cotton would be much better than wool/polyester.

14. carpu65

carpu65 Senior member

15. aDrummingDude

aDrummingDude Senior member

+1, I fully agree

But I've always wondered why certain makers ( Like ARMANI ) seem to always have 3% of polyester or elasthane in their suiting fabrics?

Is it because they are so cost conscious that they save a great deal for the entire production run by using that 3% of a synthetic?

You never see makers like Kiton, Brioni, or Oxxford using synthetics in their fabrics ( or at least I don't ).

I remember reading an interview with Giorgio Armani where the interviewer asked him that same question. His response was that he likes the way poly drapes....when used in a blend I'm assuming.

16. Badenoch

Badenoch New Member

Dumb question here, but isn't the goal of wool to have a sheen to it as well?

I can understand the comfort and temperature regulation issue but really and truly isn't the astetic a matter of personal choice since some textiles seek to achieve the very same effect?