• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polyester: Ignorance Is Bliss...

allcapitan

Reaction score
I now have four pairs of dark slacks made from polyester/rayon blend. A couple pairs with subtle pinstripes, two in solid colors. Aside from the length, they fit perfectly right off the rack: slim fit, with a single break after being hemmed. I think they look really nice. They don't really wrinkle, although they have a bit of an artificial sheen compared to my wool pants.

Now, I'm thinking about buying a blazer out of the same polyester/rayon blend. It also fits pretty much perfectly, except for slightly long sleeves which can be easily tailored. Through the shoulders, the overall length, through the waist and chest, it's pretty much perfect.

Apparently, polyester doesn't breathe that well, but right now I see few if any serious disadvantages to this material. It does look different than wool without its coarseness and apparently wool is breathable.

Why does/did polyster/rayon receive such a bad rap?

Allcap

teflondog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by allcapitan
They don't really wrinkle, although they have a bit of an artificial sheen compared to my wool pants.
Apparently, polyester doesn't breathe that well, but right now I see few if any serious disadvantages to this material.
Why does/did polyster/rayon receive such a bad rap?

I think the artificial sheen as well as its lack of breathability are what contributed to its bad rap. Have you ever tried wearing polyester in the summer? Let me tell you; it's not comfortable.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you're wearing polyester, stay faaaaaar away from open flames.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm coming out of the closet!

Wearing a poly blend shirt that is. I wore one last night -- one which happens to be my favourite casual shirt -- and the bad rap they once had isn't entirely deserved. If the amount of polyester is on the low side and the other materials are of high quality, it can be a decent marriage.

IMHO of course.

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
I remember some of those all Polyester shirts from the old days especially one brand called Nik Nik. They we expensive like $80.00 to $100.00 in the 70's. A big price to pay for a style that a gullable public bought into.

As has been mentioned they were hotter than hell during the summer.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shoe-nut
I remember some of those all Polyester shirts from the old days especially one brand called Nik Nik. They we expensive like $80.00 to $100.00 in the 70's. A big price to pay for a style that a gullable public bought into.

As has been mentioned they were hotter than hell during the summer.

I'm always reminded of Saturday Night Fever.

oldseed

Reaction score
polyester is an amazing material. it is the merial used that all the high-tech athletic clothing companies like nike, reebok, and italian companies make for cycling, running, soccer, etc. it wicks as good or better than wool. it keeps the athlete dry. there's a reason athletes wear polyester rather than wool right next to their skin.

as for suits and stuff, i have polyester pants and like'm. i don't know if i'd go the blazer route, though. i like tradition and i like old skool wool. but i wouldn't go so far as to say wool is better than polyester in a technical wicking bout.

seed

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
I agree the new polyester does wick much better today but the old stuff was horrible.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that polyester doesn't hold up to cleaning as well as natural fibres. And since it absorbs odors and doesn't repel dirt (through that new, improved wicking action), it needs to be cleaned often.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure, most athletic apparel is done now using poyester or nylon.
The reasons are

1. special weaving makes it dry fast
2. they are cheaper for mass production
3. you only wear it for the time of your workout

The main reasons why I don't use polyester is.

1. static electricity
2. make you sweat more and smell bad
3. are not breathable in "standard" weavings

For sports they are ok, you only use it for 2 hours and then at the end you are sweaty and take your shower so the bad smell is not a big problem,

but to wear a polyester shirt or a suit to a 10-12 hour work day... no thanks

Originally Posted by oldseed
polyester is an amazing material. it is the merial used that all the high-tech athletic clothing companies like nike, reebok, and italian companies make for cycling, running, soccer, etc. it wicks as good or better than wool. it keeps the athlete dry. there's a reason athletes wear polyester rather than wool right next to their skin.

as for suits and stuff, i have polyester pants and like'm. i don't know if i'd go the blazer route, though. i like tradition and i like old skool wool. but i wouldn't go so far as to say wool is better than polyester in a technical wicking bout.

seed

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use polyester sport t-shirts when hiking, as it keeps you dry (the special structure brings the sweat away from your body,which is nice in cold weather in the mountains). However, they really end up smelling bad. I do not even use them at the gym, there I prefer a wet cotton t-shirt over a dry polyester one.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldseed

A number of hikers/backpackers like myself have begun to eschew polyester base layers in favor of merino wool stuff like SmartWool and Ibex (both amazingly soft). And, after three days of hiking, the wool isn't going to smell nearly as bad.

allcapitan

Reaction score
I tried on the blazer again. It fits perfectly. The shoulders are perfect, and it tapers nicely through the middle. The length is perfect. The sleeves need to be shortened but this is true for just about every blazer or suit jacket I've ever purchased.

The color, black with very subtle pinstripes, is nice and conservative. It's certainly acceptable in a professional environment or more casual after work social environment.

It certainly doesn't feel too hot and it doesn't look cheap. It's 65% polyester, 35% rayon. I'd have a hard time returning or selling this blazer because the fit is so good. Perhaps a back up blazer? Or casual/occasional duty blazer?

All

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
A number of hikers/backpackers like myself have begun to eschew polyester base layers in favor of merino wool stuff like SmartWool and Ibex (both amazingly soft). And, after three days of hiking, the wool isn't going to smell nearly as bad.
+1 Polyester sucks. Then again, I usually hike in the South, where warm weather is more common

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics