• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polyester Blend tie

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is there anything really wrong with a tie that is a 80% poly and 20% silk blend? I picked it up at a thrift store - it is a Christian Dior, brown in color with light blue dots. It is a stunning tie that I just had cleaned so I am wondering it is in bad taste to wear it. It feels like a woven tie so I doubt anyone would notice.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dirk diggler
is there anything really wrong with a tie that is a 80% poly and 20% silk blend? I picked it up at a thrift store - it is a Christian Dior, brown in color with light blue dots. It is a stunning tie that I just had cleaned so I am wondering it is in bad taste to wear it. It feels like a woven tie so I doubt anyone would notice.

I wouldnt wear one. The English do though, especially for club or university ties, the better to wash them after a hard night's drinking and feasting. Mostly they wear them for special occasions when their club, regiment or school has a reunion or an event.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not in "bad taste" per se, but poly ties tend to have certain stiffness to them. If you like it, wear it- it's not like square toes or somesuch that would scream rube to SFers.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
I wouldnt wear one. The English do though, especially for club or university ties, the better to wash them after a hard night's drinking and feasting. Mostly they wear them for special occasions when their club, regiment or school has a reunion or an event.
I remember that my ex-boss, during a period of financial stress, started to buy cheap polyester ties sold by the Chinese immigrants on the streets here in Madrid (I think that you got three ties for five or ten euros). A good thing about them was that you could actually wash them in the washing machine after a hard night out; afterwards, they looked as new. The bad thing was that once you got into the habit of washing your ties in the washing machine, sometimes there was a confusion and you threw a silk one in.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd say it's borderline, but if it looks good, why not. I've seen the Dior ties you're talking about, and they are pretty good quality for polyester blends. I have a couple of the silk ones from the same era.

futumpsh

Reaction score
adorn your collection of natural cells with natural fibres only.

thats wools , cottons and silks.

say NO to synthetics , they can bring no good.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Poly ties break one of the cardinal sartorial rules [natural fibers only], so if you break the rule, just know what you are doing and do it on purpose.

I have a couple of late 60s/early 70s Brooks Brothers rep stripe ties made of Quiana Nylon. The trad pattern and very un trad hard, unnatural sheen make a great combination.

Style_Deficit

Reaction score
Not really into necroposting, but I bought a "100% finest polyester" tie today by accident.

I had about 10 ties in my hand, all of which I thought were silk (turns out 9 were, 1 evidently wasn't). I laid each one against a shirt and suit I bought in the same store a couple of weeks ago to check the colours, and lo and behold, "1" stood out above the rest. I didn't check the price of it (as I'd already checked the price of some of the others and they were all the same, and I just assumed this was from the same maker ... ).

Bought some socks and a belt too, so didn't notice any discrepancy at the checkout, either.

Came home, unpacked my stuff and noticed the tie only cost €20, instead of the €50 I had expected. Then checked the narrow end and saw the "100% polyester" tag ... carp.

I must admit I didn't notice a difference in quality/fabric purely by look, but I didn't "feel" all 10 ties. I didn't think to.

So what to do?
Keep it? As it was - after all, at least visually - the most suitable for the intended purpose?

Or take it back tomorrow out of principle and try elsewhere for a silk one in similar colours?

Hmmm ... seems I've already admitted a lot of sartorial mistakes for such a low post count...
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads