• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polo's new Made in Italy shoes

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, I noticed that the new shoes/boots (OK, boots) on the polo site are priced at $700-$800, and I'm wondering if this is just price-hiking or suggests an improvement in quality.

MaxJones

Reaction score
The top ones are nice. Ringo wants the bottom ones back though.
eh.gif

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know people around here poo-poo the Made in Italy version, but I like them. To my eyes and hands when I've examined them, they are every bit as good as the old C&J made version.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I like the bottom ones a lot. I have a feeling the crap $/Euro may have a fair bit to do with the price. For example Ducati raised prices across the board this year on all except one model, from $500 to $1000 each, which is about 5-10% on average.

Although I certainly can't imagine spending $800 on a pair of RTW boots.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I know people around here poo-poo the Made in Italy version, but I like them. To my eyes and hands when I've examined them, they are every bit as good as the old C&J made version.

Many of them do look nice out of the box, that's true. But I don't think they rival the C&Js. They're not bad shoes, but I do think they're 1) overpriced; 2) more prone to production mistakes; 3) generally using lower-quality materials. I've owned four pairs now (counting exchanges and returns) and of those, two arrived with significant flaws either in construction or in the leather itself. So my track record is pretty much 50-50 in terms of receiving shoes that were not defective straight out of the box, which is, in my mind, much too low for shoes at this price point. Combine that with the fast-wearing heels, bubbling edge dressing and other problems I've encountered with wear, and it makes me very skeptical of the line in general.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Many of them do look nice out of the box, that's true. But I don't think they rival the C&Js. They're not bad shoes, but I do think they're 1) overpriced; 2) more prone to production mistakes; 3) generally using lower-quality materials. I've owned four pairs now (counting exchanges and returns) and of those, two arrived with significant flaws either in construction or in the leather itself. So my track record is pretty much 50-50 in terms of receiving shoes that were not defective straight out of the box, which is, in my mind, much too low for shoes at this price point. Combine that with the fast-wearing heels, bubbling edge dressing and other problems I've encountered with wear, and it makes me very skeptical of the line in general.

Wow- you're tolerant.
tounge.gif
All that- obviously crappy, and you're "highly skeptical". I'd be saying "they're garbage" by now.
wink.gif

padronlover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have a pair of ralph lauren astor boots that are made in italy, the quality is top notch. i had vibram soles installed on them recently and my cobbler couldn't stop raving about them.

Cid

Reaction score
GVH had a bunch of RL "dress boots" over the summer - looks like they are down to just 1 pair at ~US$210 BIN now. They were going for much less than that earlier in the season. I almost pulled the trigger on a pair at ~$120 in June, but picked up a nice pair of Made in Italy chukkas for <$90 instead.

Comparing the photo you posted with what GVH shows, they appear to be somewhat different - new maker maybe?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Wow- you're tolerant.
tounge.gif
All that- obviously crappy, and you're "highly skeptical". I'd be saying "they're garbage" by now.
wink.gif

I've previously called them "crap," and even started a thread to that effect. But I appreciate the fact that they're welted, and the leather, aside from the pair that arrived with a huge blemish, isn't terrible. If they had better quality control -- or if you happened to receive the right pair -- they wouldn't be bad shoes, especially on discount. But at Ralph's retail pricepoint? Ridiculous.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads