• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polo university club suits

pe-ja-per

Reaction score
How do you rate Polo university club suits? Worth picking up for 50$? How old are they?
Thanks for the input.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Entry-level suits for men with undergraduate bodies (slim at the waist). Not bad quality in my experience; much better than the entry-level suits of the last ten years. They tend to run long in the body, with a lower button stance and narrow lapel, but not aggressively so. Fabrics were not fragile since they were made (1980s?) before everything had to be Super 1xxs to con stingy men with no taste into excitement. If the suit fits you well and is clean and all that, $50 is worth it, sure.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ That's my experience also. One of the first "nice" suits I bought was a PUC. Very nice material and excellent construction for a fused job. This is one of the suits I had dry-cleaned every week for years (before I knew better) with no ill effect. The cut, lapels, everything, were very moderate and a timeless design.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back in the Paleolithic Period (i.e. the '80s and early '90s), Polo University Club was Ralph Lauren't entry level "diffusion" line while blue label Polo was the mainstream line - Purple Label was relatively scarce and could only be obtained at the Polo stores (e.g. on Madison Avenue in Manhattan and Michigan Avenue in Chicago) or a few select retailers.

PoloPlayer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pe-ja-per
How do you rate Polo university club suits? Worth picking up for 50$? How old are they?
Thanks for the input.

What others have posted here is correct. Perhaps I can add a few details since I was employed as a sales person in the New York showrom of Polo University (Club) for nine years.
Polo U. was a licensee of POLO/Ralph Lauren; not an in-house product. The manufacturer was the Greif Cos. of Allentown, PA. They also held the Chaps license. The RL organization supervised the styling of the line, but Greif sales staff sold it. That was my job. I also covered all of the POLO shops around the country.
Polo U. was conceived as a young graduate's first suit, in an affordable price range. It was also conceived as a broad-based source of revenue for the RL and Greif companies.
mwink[1].gif

Greif made a very nice engineered garment in one of the nicest factories in the U.S. We worked very hard with the manufacturing staff to get the POLO expression captured in an inexpensive suit. We looked for a very soft shoulder, low button stance and flattering body shape with suppressed waist. Obviously, we could not offer the same wonderful fabrics that the POLO blue label line offered; and Ralph did not want us to look too much like his designer product either. They often vetoed models and fabrics as looking too competitive with the "real" POLO.
In the mid 80's the Club was dropped from the brand name by mutual agreement.. In the early 90's, the Greif Cos. ran into the onslaught of the Italian influence that consumed menswear and ended the natural shoulder American influence in style. The stores that sold it disappeared and Greif went out of business. I left the menswear industry about three years later.

If you find a Polo University Club garment, it was made between 1981 and about 1985, when the Club designation was dropped. I had a great wardrobe of that clothing; all custom cut for me. They are all gone now.

I believe a Canadian manufacturer does or did make the Polo U. line after Greif closed. That market was basically moved into the "Lauren" by Ralph Lauren concept later.

Allawaywe

Reaction score
It was a brand under the Polo/Ralph Lauren umbrella made for them by a different company in the 80's and 90's. No bad quality - Department store level.
5uQeST

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics