• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polo Shoes

mohwld

Reaction score
I'm relatively new on the Forum - just found it over the weekend.

Question - I understand from reading here that RL shoes "made in England" are made by Edward Green. But who makes the "made in Italy"? are they quality?

BTW, it's nice to find other people who share my shoe obsession!

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify:

The Polo "made in England" shoes are made by Crockett & Jones. That is to say, they were made by C&J, as that relationship has evidently since ended.

It is the Purple Label "made in England" shoes are made by Edward Green.

As for the Italian Polo shoes now being made, such as the Benton and Sullivan, I have not read anything indicating who makes them. However, my personal inspection of them suggests to me that they are quite high quality. I like the contours of the sole.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
The only experience I have with Italian Polo shoes is the Corben. Do a search on that if you want a lesson in the pitfalls of groupthink and some insight into the regard SF members have towards that particular Itlalian made Polo shoe. Still pisses me off...

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Just to clarify:

The Polo "made in England" shoes are made by Crockett & Jones. That is to say, they were made by C&J, as that relationship has evidently since ended.

Really, that's a shame. I'm wearing a pair of Polo's right now I beleive are C&J great shoes.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
The only experience I have with Italian Polo shoes is the Corben. Do a search on that if you want a lesson in the pitfalls of groupthink and some insight into the regard SF members have towards that particular Itlalian made Polo shoe. Still pisses me off...

It still pisses me off that people consider themselves to have been caused undue duress regarding this incident. You could return the shoes for free, many members even got very large giftcards for their "troubles" -- all they did was call and mention their disappointment. I'd say that's a net positive.

Pitfalls of group think?
The website claimed the shoes were RLPL and made in England. Any person knowledgeable about RLPL should have concluded the same that the "group" here on SF did -- through the picture and description on the website.

I guess the bottom line is that if any of us really got screwed then there would be a compelling reason not to try again if a similar scenario arises in the future on polo.com. I don't see that compelling reason.

In addition, I think that thread proves how truly great SF is. That could have been an amazing deal on a first pair of EG for many novice and/or price sensitive forum members. Certainly the collective group think you deride here has helped me build a vast collection of great shoes -- where BSF (Before SF) I was wearing the same black - rubber-soled Santoni's everyday to work!
eek.gif
eek.gif

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still think they should've gotten the pictured shoes for the stated price. It seems like reverse shoplifting.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
You should do the Corben search just for the pure entertainment value.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
You should do the Corben search just for the pure entertainment value.

What do you mean?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I like my nasty letter to Polo.com when they decided not to let us use a discount code that everyone here used:

Dear Sir or Madam:

I signed on to my account today and discovered that my order was “Cancelled on 01 / 03 / 06 due to missing or invalid order information.”

This is entirely unacceptable. I am a long-time Ralph Lauren customer, and I am extremely disappointed to learn of your decision to breach a contract.

As your legal council can confirm for you, the only time you would not be bound by this contract for sale is if it is clearly obvious to a reasonable customer that this was not a genuine offer but, rather, was made in error (for example, if everything on the site was suddenly offered at $0.01). That is not the case here, and Polo.com cannot legally back out of the transaction. To do so is a breach of contract.

An offer must be clear, definite, explicit and leave nothing open for negotiation. Such is clearly the case here. Polo.com had a reasonable price at which you enabled customers to buy merchandise on your website, and you promised performance in return for consideration. As a customer, I added items to my "shopping basket.” I "checked out." I got an email "confirming" my order. There can be no possible conclusion other than that this was a completed transaction, just as if I had taken something to a register in a brick and mortar Polo store and purchased it.

As already stated, a contract consists of an offer and an acceptance, determined by what a reasonable person would believe expressions to mean. In other words, even if the “discount code” had been offered by Polo.com in error, legally that is completely irrelevant. Determining the existence of an offer is based on manifested intentions, not hidden motives. In other words, the mental assent of Polo.com is not required and is irrelevant; Polo.com’s secret, unexpressed motives do not invalidate the contract. The offer was clear and unequivocal. I accepted it and purchased goods. You are legally bound to deliver them.

I expect to hear back from you immediately. If you breach this contract, and I do not receive the merchandise that I purchased, you can expect me to take immediate action.

Sincerely,

Of course, they still wouldn't let me use the discount code, because they suck donkey balls. But still, it was fun.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads