Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Polo Shirts w/Shorts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pierpont, Jul 17, 2006.

1. pierpont

pierpont New Member

When wearing a polo shirt with shorts, should the shirt be tucked in or allowed to hang out? Also what kind of shoes go best with that look? Thanks.

2. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Ummm I believe (and I never knew this was an issue) that either way is fine. Untucked is casual, tucked in is more fussy/formal (like if you're a valet). Shoes? Sneakers, flip flops, oxfords (if you're daring), loafers, sandals, really anything except boots.

3. alflauren

alflauren Senior member

tucked in is more fussy/formal (like if you're a valet)

Ding, ding, ding! That why I usually don't tuck mine in. It makes me look like I'm "staff."

4. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Ding, ding, ding! That why I usually don't tuck mine in. It makes me look like I'm "staff."
    You sure it's not that "Hi, I'm Alflauren!" pin you insist on wearing?

5. jml90

jml90 Senior member

I voted both are OK just because I see nothing wrong with tucking it in besides that you look like you should be on the golf course.
    But I prefer to let the tails hang

6. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Sperry Topsiders.

7. mrchapel

mrchapel Senior member

I've never tucked in my polos with shorts. Looks incredibly tacky to me, and as said previously, does make you look like a valet or other such worker. Based on the tails of polos, I always assumed they were meant to be worn without being tucked in. But, it's personal preference.

8. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Based on the tails of polos, I always assumed they were meant to be worn without being tucked in.
    Quite the opposite. Despite what Polo.com may say, the long rear tail on polo shirts was not designed for a slimming effect, but to keep the shirt tucked in during vigorous physical activity.

That said, I rarely tuck mine in.

9. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

I'm assuming that you have in mind the wearing of the ubiquitous short sleeved polo with shorts. If that is the case, then it does not matter whether the shirt is worn tucked or untucked, it looks geeky, rather like matching one's tie and pocket square. Better balance/contrast is afforded by wearing long sleeved shirts with shorts. Depending on the style and length of the shirt tail, in or out can look good. And, counterintuitively, the long sleeves can be rolled up and not spoil the effect. As for footwear, everything from the lightest of sandals to the heavyest of work boots can look terrific with shorts, dending on the style and weight of the shorts and the purpose for which they are worn. Boots, however, must be laced not pull-on. I commend to you, Ralph Finnes character, Count Almasy, in The English Patient, as the exemplar extraordinaire of shorts wearing.

10. raley

raley Senior member

I would not tuck it in. Makes it looks like you just got off of the golf course.

11. jayson

jayson Member

Let it hang out man. Just make sure the cut of the shirt doesnt hang too far past your waist. Put it with some flip flops and you are golden.

12. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

ugh, flipflops again. [​IMG] Britney Spears is auctioning a whole lot of personal wardrobe items online in the name of charity. Among the many clothing items are several pairs of flip flops, including the pair of J. Crew flippers pictured above.

13. mimiki

mimiki Active Member

Although i never tuck, it think both is ok, it really comes down to the individual (age, style & body size)

14. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

15. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I rarely tuck mine in. It's hot in Georgia and I think polos are meant to be comfortable. I also am loathe to wear a T-shirt underneath, in fact I never do. Seems to defeat the purpose.