Polo recommendation

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Dan9019, Jun 1, 2010.

1. digitone

digitone Member

OK. I've never bought one at retail, and I only own one that I got at an outlet many years ago. The best thing about it is that the little polo guy is located down on the lower left hand side, so nobody notices it. I just checked the RL website and they are $50-55 on sale now. the ones with the GIANT PONY are more. That must be what all the cool people are wearing.

indeed [​IMG]

2. nightmair

nightmair Active Member

I agree that the Brooks Brothers polo is some of the best on the market now for their price, the only problem is it has a slight tail.

3. Dan9019

Dan9019 Member

Thanks for the replies.

RLBL's are nice and don't have a logo. They fit really similar to the PRL custom fit but have much better fabric. They also don't have a tail.
    Any tips on how to get the RLBL polos for less than retail?

Just get the tail hemmed. I did it with all my RL polos, works fine.
    Yeah, I'm going to do that with the ones I have.

4. samblackbones

samblackbones Senior member

Not a Polo shirt by band of outsiders makes pleasant shirts. The way they are made (on some type of sweet japenese looms) makes them very fade resistant, as well as helping them retain their shape through washing. I love both of mine, they look delightful, they are super comfortable, and they have held up well to a ton of use. Got mine at By George Austin, but Tresbien.us has them too.

5. bearsfan172

bearsfan172 Senior member

Any tips on how to get the RLBL polos for less than retail?

The two ways I've seen to get anything RLBL (so I'll assume it applies to polos as well) are to buy them at an outlet store (unikely that you have a full RL outlet store near you, and not just a Polo Ralph Lauren outlet store) or an online vendor, or you can wait for a RL sale. One just passed by, but I think that someone mentioned they will have another come the end of summer.

That being said, on the cheap, I'd say J Crew polos are very nice, but if you're looking for top notch, RLBL is the way to go.

Avoid the typical Lacoste polo....everyone alive has one of those, and they are just logo bearing advertisements

6. Dan9019

Dan9019 Member

The two ways I've seen to get anything RLBL (so I'll assume it applies to polos as well) are to buy them at an outlet store (unikely that you have a full RL outlet store near you, and not just a Polo Ralph Lauren outlet store) or an online vendor, or you can wait for a RL sale. One just passed by, but I think that someone mentioned they will have another come the end of summer. That being said, on the cheap, I'd say J Crew polos are very nice, but if you're looking for top notch, RLBL is the way to go. Avoid the typical Lacoste polo....everyone alive has one of those, and they are just logo bearing advertisements
    Thanks, it appears there is a real RL outlet near me in Orlando, along with three of the polo RL ones.

7. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

I saw some recommendations for Lands End on AAAC. I bought a couple the other day for really cheap. They seem pretty decent for the price. However, as seems to be a common annoyance, they have a slight tail.

8. MrAmbrose

MrAmbrose Member

I second (third?) the recommendation for J Crew polos. I like the vintage polo; the fit is slim and the sleeves are a bit shorter. Great for the price.

9. Mr. Sartorial

Mr. Sartorial Senior member

I've had a lot of luck with Burberry slim fits, about the same price, no tail, and they're a little bit thinner fabric with a tiny logo.

Almost identical to the slim RL ones but with no tail would be the "Italian Fit" Lacoste ones, but they have a little logo of course.

Hope that helps!

10. wysiwyg

wysiwyg Senior member

I can't recommend the J Crew polos, the couple I've had have both faded unfavorably, especially around the placket. My Lands' End polos have retained their color better and are cheaper. The mesh is a bit finer compared to the J Crew piques. No logo, but there's a slight tail.

11. hst

hst Senior member

Lacoste Slim Fit fits quite well into what you want at the price range of $75-100 you indicated [​IMG]
    I own 2 of them - and find them very comfortable to wear.

12. minervau

minervau Senior member

BB's quality beats all

+1, though they have the tail, and the OP mentioned he didn't want that.

13. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

The fabric on J. Crew and Lands' End polos is noticeably worse than on RL polos.

14. RSS

RSS Senior member

Damn ... I was thinking you wanted to know where you can learn to play.

15. Newstyle

Newstyle Senior member

I have a few J. Crew vintage polos and they are perfect. Slim, no tennis tail, and pretty good quality.