• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polo Ralph Lauren outlet has poor quality?

aspriel

Reaction score
I'm taking a trip up to the Chicago Premium Outlets mall, which has a PRL outlet store. I rather enjoy Polo stuff, and can always use more. I was informed this week that RL actually has a separate "line" of clothes they ship to outlet stores - has the Polo tag and all, but is made of much lesser quality material. I was also told this about the Banana Republic Outlet - that they aren't just factory seconds/out of season/didn't sell - they are actually inferior goods.

Is this true? Anyone know/experience this?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Lots of outlets have merchandise made just for the outlets. This is certainly the case with Banana Republic and, of course, Brooks 346. In many cases, the merchandise is inferior to the main store stuff. I've never found anything I would buy in a BR outlet, and have all but given up going in.

There's a lengthy thread on the Polo outlets here:
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=57847

aspriel

Reaction score
Banana Republic does? It's confirmed, and quite inferior?

I'd imagine Diesel doesn't... wouldn't be cost effective.

The way I see it - if I'm just paying for the name - Banana or the Polo w/ the Pony - and getting an inferior product ... I could go to Wal-Mart and buy an inferior product, or if the name is that important, I could head off to eBay and buy some obviously fake cheap Polos.

I like PRL and Banana's stuff not just for the name but because it's quite comfortable and I like it - if it's going to be uncomfortable, I won't bother...

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aspriel
Banana Republic does? It's confirmed, and quite inferior?

indeed. You can recognize it because the tag has three diamonds in a row over the words "Banana Republic." They say it denotes "inspired by our classic styles" which really means "we're ripping off our very own middle-to-low quality merch! YAY!"

I went to a BBs outlet hoping for some cut-rate slim fits. Turns out the "oulet" was in fact a "factory store" (aka 346), for which they dont even manufacture slim fits.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
indeed. You can recognize it because the tag has three diamonds in a row over the words "Banana Republic."

In addition to that, they may also have a thin line running through 'Banana Republic' (without the diamonds), or it may simply say 'Banana Republic', with 'Outlet' underneath.

Funny, because the prices on the made-for-outlet stuff only seem to be about 25% of retail price for similar items in the actual stores (not that I shop at BR anymore).

aspriel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Banana Republic's outlet stuff is borderline WalMart. Polo's outlet stuff is borderline crap. If you get lucky, you'll go to the Polo outlet when they have 10 items from the main store, which is about the most you'll ever find.

So you're telling me despite my love of blue label polo shirts, the price difference isn't worth it?
frown.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It just depends. Polo does have some shirts at their outlets that are main line but your mileage may vary. I have a few basic polos from the BR outlet line and they aren't terrible, although they aren't as high quality as stuff from the stores. I wouldn't say they're walmart quality, maybe more like between old navy and gap in quality, but for $10...

aspriel

Reaction score
What practice? Wanting to pay less for designer clothes?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aspriel
What practice? Wanting to pay less for designer clothes?

I imagine he's referring to making clothes not of their main label quality (i.e. diffusion) from their outlets.

Tuerney1

Reaction score
Indeed. Although I don't actually have any issue with multiple lines of clothes but specifically with misleading outlet shoppers (who often travel quite some distance to the outlets), or at the very least being less than forthcoming with them, into believing they are purchasing quality items of the main lines at a great discount when they are actually purchasing what are likely lower quality products at a fair (or closer to retail) price.
smile.gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tuerney1
Indeed. Although I don't actually have any issue with multiple lines of clothes but specifically with misleading outlet shoppers (who often travel quite some distance to the outlets), or at the very least being less than forthcoming with them, into believing they are purchasing quality items of the main lines at a great discount when they are actually purchasing what are likely lower quality products at a fair (or closer to retail) price.
smile.gif

Brooks has a small sign at their outlet which says that the 346 line is specially made for the "outlet customer". Feels like they are saying, "for the cheap bastards who don't want to shop at our regular store".

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Brooks has a small sign at their outlet which says that the 346 line is specially made for the "outlet customer".

Hahaha, ouch, outlet customers.

JR_Rider

Reaction score
I purchased some medium gray slacks from Banana Republic that are the exact same as the pair they sell in the stores for $125, and I only paid $45. I never new that companies had inferior products that they sold only at outlets though. Now that is a shame. You'd think they would like to sell the good stuff at the outlets, because many times they could cut out on the middle men. Especially Polo, what Department store doesn't carry some form of Polo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads