• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polo Darlton shoes -- just received them

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My receipt says Darlton. The box says Marlow. Did they screw up? What is the difference, if any between these shoes. My first impression is that the Marlow's toe is a little narrower. But I could be wrong.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I told you that would happen. I don't know why it says Darlton, when they are actually the Marlow; the website people messed up I guess. How do you like the shoes?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love them. I walked around in them a bit on carpet this morning, and they will break in surprisingly quickly, I think. In the store, I was always afraid to "break in" the cordovan at all when I walked around in them so I wasn't sure how quickly they'd soften up.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cordovan is a pretty tough leather, I don't expect mine to break in as much as any of my calf shoes. However, they are still just as comfortable.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got mine and they were labeled Darlton. I believe Darlton is the "old" name - so yours were probably made after mine. Or vice versa, not sure... Nowehre on them does it say cordovan - indeed, it says calf somewhere in the little booklet that came with them - but they certainly feel like cordovan. And, after one wearing, they are creasing with the upwards "rippled" effect. They are definitely bulky. I would rather have the Alden or BB wingtips, which are much sleeker. I probably will get those sometime, but they never go on sale, whereas these were an amazing price.
P1010518.jpg
P1010519.jpg

djkovner

Reaction score
yeah, Johnny, that's why I said these are called Marlow a couple of weeks ago. They are exactly the same shoes as the Darlton, so don't worry about it.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have the Wingtip, which are the Darlton model. Me and Johnnynorman have the Blucher model which is the Marlow.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike C.,

Am I crazy or are the Marlows not as "bulky" as the wingtip? I put them on this morning and, while they aren't a sleek Italian shoe, they definitely aren't clunkers. They'll go fantastically with anything from jeans to a suit IMO. I'd say they are definitely sleeker than my Alden captoes from Brooks Brothers.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It could simply be a visual thing, i.e. the addition of the wing and broguing might appear a bit congested on the wingtip, in contrast to the plain blucher. Hence, "bulkier"? my .02

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe, but I have a sense by looking at the bottom of the sole as well that the wingtip just has a slightly more gently rounded toe.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So possibly different lasts altogether? I own neither shoe, just interested in how subtle differences can affect a look.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
believe me, they are bulky. The soles are thick. These are a more "country" style, compared to the Alden and Brooks wingtips. I could therefore justify having both in my closet.
biggrin.gif

djkovner

Reaction score
You have the Wingtip, which are the Darlton model. Me and Johnnynorman have the Blucher model which is the Marlow.
I'm simply saying that the Darlton on the Polo.com website is exactly the same as the Marlow that JN3 received in the mail. Both the plain toe and the wingtip models are called Darlton on the website, but labeled Marlow on the boxes. Got it?

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Mike C. @ 03 Dec. 2004, 08:53) You have the Wingtip, which are the Darlton model. Me and Johnnynorman have the Blucher model which is the Marlow.
I'm simply saying that the Darlton on the Polo.com website is exactly the same as the Marlow that JN3 received in the mail. Both the plain toe and the wingtip models are called Darlton on the website, but labeled Marlow on the boxes. Got it?
They are both the Marlow model. My mistake. However, the Wingtip model is definitely bulkier for sure. Definitely not a "sleak" model.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO the wingtip have a slightly higher toebox and are rounder.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads