Polo Darlton Cordovan Blucher

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnnynorman3, Nov 22, 2004.

1. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

By the way, the Marlow is a completely different shoe -- though I'm not sure in what way.

Mike C., what do you wear your Darlton's with? Clearly jeans and flannel pants go with them perfectly. What about a dark grey suit? These shoes don't strike me as streamlined like say the Audley.

2. Kai

Kai Senior member

Yes, those definitely look like cordovan. That's a good price on a cordovan shoe. In brown too. Not a common color, and very handsome. If I didn't have a pair of brown cordovans on the way, I'd be tempted. Kai

3. Super Fly

Super Fly Well-Known Member

I picked up the Marlow blucher at the Polo store. It's cordovan (as shown in the picture). Very similar in style to the BB/Alden cordovan blucher, except it's brown. The Darlton is completely different- Different material and shape.

4. Phil

Phil Senior member

I cant access that link, but if you are talking about the Darlton blucher, which comes in plain and wingtip ($595), I can assure you they are BOTH made from Cordovan leather. How do I know? I own both. Bought them on sale last year at the Polo Mansion. They have aged beautifully.

5. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

These are the most versitile shoes I own. I love to wear them with navy suits as well jeans and a sportcoat (for work). They would definitely go with flannel pants. As for a darker gray suit... if you were in Italy it would be the norm, as for here that's stretching it a bit; do you recall the thread about that a month or so ago.

While these shoes aren't that streamlined, they're not chunky either. All in all it's a very elegant shoe that good for all-around types of wear. As someone said earlier they age beautifully as well.

6. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Well, I bought 'em last night. I own three "dressy" brown leather sole shoes now -- Alden, Grenson, and now these.
    I think that though the $291 wasn't money "well" spent now (because I really didn't "need" them), these things will last forever and will be money well spent for a decade or so.

By the way, I actually really like this color brown with dark grey suits. I wear this color brown (or a chocolate brown -- either/or) with grey suits all the time.

7. TCN

TCN Senior member

Shoot, I missed the sale. I actually had them in my shopping basket online, but got sidetracked last night and never consumated the purchase. Drats. If anybody has a size 12 they were going to return . . . [​IMG]

8. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

I'm totally with you on this one. I haven't even bought a pair of black shoes in the past two years.

9. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

UPDATE

Received my package today and they are definitely cordovan. They are beautiful, and I am happy.

10. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

Got mine today.  I got the dark brown wingtip.  There's nothing marking them as shell cordovan, but based on the feel and texture alone, I'll say they're shell cordovan and that the leather texture is closest to my AE macneil's, which are shell cordovan.  They feel nothing like any of my calfskins.  So my call is: they're shell cordovan.

In addition, they fit rather well.  I was kind of shocked by that, given that I didn't have time to find one to try on before ordering online.

The color tone is quite interesting.  At first I thought they were a dark reddish brown (granted, I was indoors, my shades were drawn, and the lighting wasn't the best), but the color tone was clearly much darker and less reddish than my macneils when I put them side by side.  

All in all, very happy with this model.  A very classic looking shoe.

11. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

these shoes are GORGEOUS IMO and are a STEAL for $291. I checked them out thoroughly at the Polo manion in NY and wish to God I'd ordered a pair.

Maybe at Christmas they will drop back to the 300 range?

12. polar-lemon

polar-lemon Senior member

Necrobump for a well deserved [​IMG] [​IMG] Should've bought these 6 years ago [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

I got mine 3 years ago for $350. Still a steal.

14. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I wore mine today. Some of my favorite shoes:

[​IMG]

15. hobscrk777

hobscrk777 Senior member

I wore mine today. Some of my favorite shoes:

[​IMG]

For some reason I really like these, yet I can't stand the Alden for BB PTB with metal eyelets.