• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polo Custom Fit vs. Brooks Brothers Slim Fit vs. Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit

mr.loverman

Reaction score
Can anyone offer a comparison of these three fits?

I really like Polo custom fit. Which Brooks fit is most comparable?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Brooks regular slim fit is probably closer to Polo's custom fit. Both are significantly fuller than BB extra slim.

Morgan

Reaction score
I can't comment on Polo Custom Fit. I like BB Slim fit okay, though it could still stand to be slimmer around the waist. BB Extra Slim is very skinny - an extra slim that fit in the neck, sleeves and waist was extremely constricting around the chest and shoulders. Without having access to measurements, I'd say that BB slim fit is reasonably slim, and made for men who have an "athletic" build, by which I mean the chest and shoulders are broader than the waist. BB Extra Slim seems made for guys with narrow shoulders and chests, more of a straight up-and-down build rather than a taper.

bbhewee

Reaction score
The BB Slim Fit shirt (at least the one I own) is similar in sizing in the RL Custom Fit imho.

butterflystyle

Reaction score
I love Polo custom fit, but BB Extra Slim fit is SO slim I cant get my hands through the cuffs without unbuttoning them. Its a VERY slim fitting shirt.

alexei

Reaction score
Originally Posted by butterflystyle
I love Polo custom fit, but BB Extra Slim fit is SO slim I cant get my hands through the cuffs without unbuttoning them. Its a VERY slim fitting shirt.

IMO you shouldn't fit your hands through the cuffs without unbuttoning them. That's why there are buttons. You can't fit your head through the neck without unbottoning it can you?

soupcxan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexei
IMO you shouldn't fit your hands through the cuffs without unbuttoning them. That's why there are buttons. You can't fit your head through the neck without unbottoning it can you?

Actually, I can:

lyle_beaker.gif

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BB extra slim isn't very slim in the grand scheme of slim fit shirts. If you want a slim fit Polo go with regent cut. The new regents have fixed sleeve lengths and a slimmer overall profile. I still get it slimed after I buy tHem but nowhee near what I needed to on old regents or custom fit polls.

Deuce

Reaction score
I still have to take in the BB extra slims and I have quite a bit of size in my chest, upper back and shoulders. My problem is I wear a size 17 neck which I am sure makes all the other measurements bigger in proportion.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no idea who the Brooks Brothers extra-slim fit is made for; it fits too tight in the chest and upper arms, while the waist is not much more tapered than the slim fit. And I'm quite thin, myself.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
I have no idea who the Brooks Brothers extra-slim fit is made for; it fits too tight in the chest and upper arms, while the waist is not much more tapered than the slim fit. And I'm quite thin, myself.
That's actually my biggest problem with BB XS. There's very little taper. It's fine in the shoulders and chest, for the most part, but leaves too much material in the waist. I get my XS shirts taken in at the waist. Thank God I'm not the only one. I was feeling all self-conscious and manorexic for a second there.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexei

That makes a lot of sense but i could see the exception to the rule being shirts you could wear untucked or those that are more casual.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Thank God I'm not the only one. I was feeling all self-conscious and manorexic for a second there.

Well, there was one guy who mentioned having his Black Fleece (or perhaps Black Label) shirts darted, which was a bit frightening. I think the Extra Slim would be best for people with thick necks. I ordered one on the cheap, and it was restrictive in the shoulders. Slim fit is fine for me--some people have an unhealthy desire for taper. (I'm not one for darts, either--they remind me of a rather pretty grad student I worked with in a lab once. My shirts can never resemble hers.)

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro

Slim people? Remember most slim people don't have a V or arms
laugh.gif
Think preteen boys or girls.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads