• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polo Crockett & Jones last??

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, are you sure that this shoe is made by C&J. Many RL shoes are made in Italy, and this one looks a candidate. However, if it is a C&J model, it will almost certainly be on their 314 or 325 last.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's made in Italy. The C&J shoes are stamped "Benchmade in England" in gold on the insole (I'm wearing a pair right now). I copied the web image of the Herring and magnified it. I couldn't read the text, but there's not enough letter for "England".

Edit: the "Benchmade in England" text inside the C&J shoes is also on 3 lines, not one as for the Herring.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once asked Crockett and Jones and they told me it was the 337.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this a the loafer? If so, it is definitely not the 337.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the RL Polo Herring is a very simple, plain-vamp loafer. It definitely is not made on the C&J 337 last.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry. Misread the original post and didn't see "Herring"

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rogerm
I'm certain it's a C & J. It retailed for $595. It's a dead ringer for the C & J Aintree model.
The C&J Aintree was a Handgrade 3-eyelet plain-toe derby, probably on the 337 last, but no longer listed in the C&J catalog. It was nothing whatsoever like the current RL Herring, which is described as a Venetian loafer, as shown in NoVaguy's post. Are you sure the RL Polo shoe you're asking about is (or was) called the Herring?
confused.gif

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe Herren (as in German for "men")? I think they had a model called that a while ago.

rogerm

Reaction score
I'm willing to concede that it may be called Heren, but I'm still fairly certain it's called the herring, and it looks nothing like the herring venetian loafer on polo.com.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rogerm
I'm willing to concede that it may be called Heren, but I'm still fairly certain it's called the herring, and it looks nothing like the herring venetian loafer on polo.com.

Then you can safely ignore my previous post. I was looking at the Herring venetian loafer on polo.com. I suggest you email [email protected] with your question. They answered my questions about which last was used for the Ralph Lauren Alton and Darlton models within a day.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just as an aside, I was at the RL Mansion yesterday and there were at least 6 new C&J handgrade models that I haden't seen before. Most of them were rendered in tan including a Hallam-like oxofrd and an Aintree-like blucher. These were all priced at $595. There was also a new shell cordovan chukka boot for $695.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads