• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polo-collar shirts

banksmiranda

Reaction score
My sis has been nagging me to buy "brand name" polos. I've usually bought polo shirts(along with t-shirts and sweatshirts and much of the rest of my college student wardrobe) from txshirts.com. However, I'm wondering if there's a good source from which I can buy, for example, Lacoste or John Smedley, for less than MSRP. I find the $69 MSRP for Lacoste polos to be absurdly high. Suggestions?

BTW, I recently purchased two Brooks Brothers "Double Mercerized Performance Polo" shirts, and they're wonderful. They retail for $54.50, but if you buy two they're $89.00. They feel just like Zimmerli's Richelieu undershirt, except in a polo shirt - perhaps next time I'll pair my BB Double Mercerized Performance Polo Shirts with my Zimmerli Richelieu undershirt.

alaaro

Reaction score
eBay is the best bet for great deals.

Theres some fake Polo and Lacoste going around, check out your seller first.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in fact the lacoste's seem to be the most widely faked.

i find a lot of RL polo's in great condition at my local goodwill. just take off the price tag before you show your sister.

/andrew - budget-conscious label whore

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to Bluefly. If you must buy polos, at least get them from an interesting company like Generra. Do not, for the love of all that is good and holy, go following the crowd and buying Lacoste, Polo, or LeTigre (yep, if you haven't, you'll see them soon enough.)

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Go to Bluefly. If you must buy polos, at least get them from an interesting company like Generra. Do not, for the love of all that is good and holy, go following the crowd and buying Lacoste, Polo, or LeTigre (yep, if you haven't, you'll see them soon enough.)
Dude, LeTigre is just horrible. The logo to me looks like they just copied Lacoste, but simply replaced one animal with another. How original.

What is wrong with Polo?

Jon.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(imageWIS @ 17 Aug. 2004, 1:52)
Originally Posted by LA Guy,17 Aug. 2004, 4:43
Dude, LeTigre is just horrible. The logo to me looks like they just copied Lacoste, but simply replaced one animal with another. How original. What is wrong with Polo? Jon.
I'm pretty sure LeTigre is a resurrection of a Sears brand that did exactly that back in the eighties. It's a ripoff of a ripoff
biggrin.gif

Well, then obviously that makes it all right. Jon.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood my post. I said *do not* buy Le Tigre, Polo, or Lacoste. And definitely don't go buying "The Original Penguin", unless you are, in fact, going for the "I'm a teenager from the suburbs of Boise, Idaho (note to self - find out if Boise in fact has suburbs).

What's wrong with Polo? It reeks of Ralph Lauren's pathetic aspirations to gentility, that's what.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood my post. I said *do not* buy Le Tigre, Polo, or Lacoste. And definitely don't go buying "The Original Penguin", unless you are, in fact, going for the "I'm a teenager from the suburbs of Boise, Idaho (note to self - find out if Boise in fact has suburbs).

What's wrong with Polo? It reeks of Ralph Lauren's pathetic aspirations to gentility, that's what.
Well, you have to admit that RL is more genteel than most of the old money (3rd generation or more) people in America. At, least his (public) behavior is that becoming of a patrician, especially when compared oh, I don't know: the Hiltons (for example).

Jon.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, you have to admit that RL is more genteel than most of the old money (3rd generation or more) people in America. At, least his (public) behavior is that becoming of a patrician, especially when compared oh, I don't know: the Hiltons (for example).

Fair enough. That he seems to aspire to be a Kennedy bothers me though. And saying RL is more genteel than the Hiltons is like saying that someone is less psychotic than Jeffrey Dalmer - a (likely to be) true statement that doesn't narrow the sample population much.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, fellows. I saw some nice polos on Bluefly. Now I've got to decide what I can fit into my budget.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fair enough. That he seems to aspire to be a Kennedy bothers me though. And saying RL is more genteel than the Hiltons is like saying that someone is less psychotic than Jeffrey Dalmer - a (likely to be) true statement that doesn't narrow the sample population much.
Au contraire, I said, "RL is more genteel than most of the old money (3rd generation or more) people in America". I only mentioned the Hiltons in terms of public behavior. Jon. Of, course you could be more psychotic than Jeffrey Dalmer, just not act upon certain homicidal tendencies. Perhaps I have said too much
biggrin.gif

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood my post.  I said *do not* buy Le Tigre, Polo, or Lacoste.  And definitely don't go buying "The Original Penguin", unless you are, in fact, going for the "I'm a teenager from the suburbs of Boise, Idaho (note to self - find out if Boise in fact has suburbs).  

What's wrong with Polo?  It reeks of Ralph Lauren's pathetic aspirations to gentility, that's what.
If you want the real old money gentility, perhaps you should consider the Brooks Brother Flying Pig polos.

Of course the most recent one I saw was on an 80-something year old guy in Vail, Colorado who was wearing it with seersucker shorts, boat shoes and a Berkshire Hathaway baseball cap (I don't think it was Warren Buffett, but I'm not sure.)

Now there's old money and style.

Bradford

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(LA Guy @ 17 Aug. 2004, 2:14) I think you misunderstood my post. I said *do not* buy Le Tigre, Polo, or Lacoste. And definitely don't go buying "The Original Penguin", unless you are, in fact, going for the "I'm a teenager from the suburbs of Boise, Idaho (note to self - find out if Boise in fact has suburbs). What's wrong with Polo? It reeks of Ralph Lauren's pathetic aspirations to gentility, that's what.
If you want the real old money gentility, perhaps you should consider the Brooks Brother Flying Pig polos. Of course the most recent one I saw was on an 80-something year old guy in Vail, Colorado who was wearing it with seersucker shorts, boat shoes and a Berkshire Hathaway baseball cap (I don't think it was Warren Buffett, but I'm not sure.) Now there's old money and style. Bradford
Dude, it would have been cool if he actually was Warren Buffett. Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads