Polo-collar shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by banksmiranda, Aug 17, 2004.

1. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Senior member

My sis has been nagging me to buy "brand name" polos. I've usually bought polo shirts(along with t-shirts and sweatshirts and much of the rest of my college student wardrobe) from txshirts.com. However, I'm wondering if there's a good source from which I can buy, for example, Lacoste or John Smedley, for less than MSRP. I find the $69 MSRP for Lacoste polos to be absurdly high. Suggestions?

BTW, I recently purchased two Brooks Brothers "Double Mercerized Performance Polo" shirts, and they're wonderful. They retail for $54.50, but if you buy two they're $89.00. They feel just like Zimmerli's Richelieu undershirt, except in a polo shirt - perhaps next time I'll pair my BB Double Mercerized Performance Polo Shirts with my Zimmerli Richelieu undershirt.

2. alaaro

alaaro Senior member

eBay is the best bet for great deals.

Theres some fake Polo and Lacoste going around, check out your seller first.

3. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

in fact the lacoste's seem to be the most widely faked.

i find a lot of RL polo's in great condition at my local goodwill. just take off the price tag before you show your sister.

/andrew - budget-conscious label whore

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Go to Bluefly. If you must buy polos, at least get them from an interesting company like Generra. Do not, for the love of all that is good and holy, go following the crowd and buying Lacoste, Polo, or LeTigre (yep, if you haven't, you'll see them soon enough.)

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Dude, LeTigre is just horrible. The logo to me looks like they just copied Lacoste, but simply replaced one animal with another. How original.

What is wrong with Polo?

Jon.

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(imageWIS @ 17 Aug. 2004, 1:52)
    Go to Bluefly. If you must buy polos, at least get them from an interesting company like Generra. Do not, for the love of all that is good and holy, go following the crowd and buying Lacoste, Polo, or LeTigre (yep, if you haven't, you'll see them soon enough.)
    Dude, LeTigre is just horrible. The logo to me looks like they just copied Lacoste, but simply replaced one animal with another. How original. What is wrong with Polo? Jon.
    I'm pretty sure LeTigre is a resurrection of a Sears brand that did exactly that back in the eighties. It's a ripoff of a ripoff [​IMG]
    Well, then obviously that makes it all right. Jon.

7. LA Guy

I think you misunderstood my post. I said *do not* buy Le Tigre, Polo, or Lacoste. And definitely don't go buying "The Original Penguin", unless you are, in fact, going for the "I'm a teenager from the suburbs of Boise, Idaho (note to self - find out if Boise in fact has suburbs).

What's wrong with Polo? It reeks of Ralph Lauren's pathetic aspirations to gentility, that's what.

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Well, you have to admit that RL is more genteel than most of the old money (3rd generation or more) people in America. At, least his (public) behavior is that becoming of a patrician, especially when compared oh, I don't know: the Hiltons (for example).

Jon.

9. LA Guy

Fair enough. That he seems to aspire to be a Kennedy bothers me though. And saying RL is more genteel than the Hiltons is like saying that someone is less psychotic than Jeffrey Dalmer - a (likely to be) true statement that doesn't narrow the sample population much.

10. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Senior member

Thanks for the tips, fellows. I saw some nice polos on Bluefly. Now I've got to decide what I can fit into my budget.

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Well, you have to admit that RL is more genteel than most of the old money (3rd generation or more) people in America. At, least his (public) behavior is that becoming of a patrician, especially when compared oh, I don't know: the Hiltons (for example).
    Fair enough. That he seems to aspire to be a Kennedy bothers me though. And saying RL is more genteel than the Hiltons is like saying that someone is less psychotic than Jeffrey Dalmer - a (likely to be) true statement that doesn't narrow the sample population much.
    Au contraire, I said, "RL is more genteel than most of the old money (3rd generation or more) people in America". I only mentioned the Hiltons in terms of public behavior. Jon. Of, course you could be more psychotic than Jeffrey Dalmer, just not act upon certain homicidal tendencies. Perhaps I have said too much [​IMG]

12. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

If you want the real old money gentility, perhaps you should consider the Brooks Brother Flying Pig polos.

Of course the most recent one I saw was on an 80-something year old guy in Vail, Colorado who was wearing it with seersucker shorts, boat shoes and a Berkshire Hathaway baseball cap (I don't think it was Warren Buffett, but I'm not sure.)

Now there's old money and style.

Bradford

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(LA Guy @ 17 Aug. 2004, 2:14) I think you misunderstood my post. I said *do not* buy Le Tigre, Polo, or Lacoste. And definitely don't go buying "The Original Penguin", unless you are, in fact, going for the "I'm a teenager from the suburbs of Boise, Idaho (note to self - find out if Boise in fact has suburbs). What's wrong with Polo? It reeks of Ralph Lauren's pathetic aspirations to gentility, that's what.
    If you want the real old money gentility, perhaps you should consider the Brooks Brother Flying Pig polos. Of course the most recent one I saw was on an 80-something year old guy in Vail, Colorado who was wearing it with seersucker shorts, boat shoes and a Berkshire Hathaway baseball cap (I don't think it was Warren Buffett, but I'm not sure.) Now there's old money and style. Bradford
    Dude, it would have been cool if he actually was Warren Buffett. Jon.

14. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

What if it were Jimmy Buffett?

15. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(imageWIS @ 18 Aug. 2004, 09:06) Dude, it would have been cool if he actually was Warren Buffett.
    What if it were Jimmy Buffett?
    Warren Buffett is cooler. (At least to a Econ / Business major such as myself) Jon.