• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polo Chelsea boot

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I noticed these chelsea boots read Made in England. Does anyone know if  they are Crockett & Jones? Is this price comparable to C&J? Boot here

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes. C&J to benchmade standards i have them, btw. from grapevinehill on ebay. very nice, but a little tighter than I expected, compared to say a typical Allen Edmonds (at the same size - 10.5 D or M in my case - and keep in mind that I don't wear the AE Park Avenue - we're talking like a MacNeil, Lexington or a Grayson). But then, they're sleeker English shoes, not American gunboats. And I have yet to even wear them, so who knows how they'll break in. Anyway, it is definitely not worth $770 Ralph wants for them - i'll say they should be $350-$450 boots at retail. bluefly's price is higher than I'll like to pay, but if it was perfect, I guess I would. the C&J Chelsea, which is another C&J variant of the same quality, if not the same boot with the C&J badge instead of Ralph's name, goes for $331 plus shipping from plal.com and about $380+shipping and duty at www.pediwear.co.uk

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For whatever it's worth, whenever I have been in the Barney's in Beverly Hills, they have always had brown C&J benchgrade Chelseas in stock for about $470. Thus an original price of $770 seems kind of preposterous. However, I have heard it claimed that the Ralph Lauren C&J-made shoes are made to a quality level that falls somewhere between Benchgrade and Handgrade. Does anybody know the truth about this?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For whatever it's worth, whenever I have been in the Barney's in Beverly Hills, they have always had brown C&J benchgrade Chelseas in stock for about $470. Thus an original price of $770 seems kind of preposterous. However, I have heard it claimed that the Ralph Lauren C&J-made shoes are made to a quality level that falls somewhere between Benchgrade and Handgrade. Does anybody know the truth about this?
I recall reading the same thing, but I can't verify the claim. Anyone?

dorian

Reaction score
.......... same size - 10.5 D or M in my case - and keep in mind that I don't wear the AE Park Avenue - we're talking like a MacNeil, Lexington or a Grayson). ..........
he said... hehe... he said the g-word.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks. I think I may go the plal route. I bid on the same pair on eBay awhile ago myself and missed it. Of course, the price was considerably lower than Bluefly's price, let alone Ralph's. At least it's good to know they are of high quality.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
he said... hehe... he said the g-word.
schmuck..... Â
sarcasm.gif

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures for you to judge yourself. This (the Halmore that's available via bluefly) appears to the C&J Benchmade standard. Â I think it is basically the same shoe as the C&J chelsea. Â Possibly, it is made on a different last. This (an older Chelsea boot) Â appears to be to the in between standard everybody is talking about. Â Note the channelled sole. Â I don't think it is available anymore, except on Ebay. I have both, sitting in boxes under my bed. Â The second one is also a lot more elongated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads