• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polo cashmere crewneck cable sweaters

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
From the Marshalls alert thread in Buying & Selling...

Anyone know how these hold up? They are the $395 MSRP HK-made ones. I bought one (clearance at $60) and I like it a lot so far. It feels more durable than some of the cheaper cashmere I've found. It looked like crap when i got it from being fondled all holiday season and had pills of other sweaters on it, but it cleaned up nicely.

Can someone tell me how the size small measures in comparison to the medium? I like sweaters to be tighter. The medium is about a 44-45" chest but the arms are long enough for me, so I might want to go to the small if the arms are still long enough. I'm hoping to run across one of the ice blue ones in my size, or have someone magically find me one. The only colors I've seen on clearance so far are black and pink.

Thanks.

Material Boy

Reaction score
I have about 40 of these crewneck cashmere sweaters (20 for Spring, 20 for Fall/Winter). They hold up pretty well, I have not had any problems with them.

The cut on these are fairly "normal", neither tight nor loose. I wear 42R in suit, 36 is my pant size, the Large in these Polo cashmere sweaters fit me very well. Medium should fit someone with a pant sizes of 32 -35.

MB

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
40?... There are 18 colors... which ones do you have 3 of? Thanks for the info.
biggrin.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
J,

As to your question:

The cashmere RL Polo crewnecks run a bit big for me, thus I am forced to use a XS; I am about 5'-7" and like 125-130lbs, thus I'm quite slim. Alas, I like everything to look as fitted as possible, so your mileage may vary.

They have high and rather smallish (t-shirtish?) necks with I like, because they either cover my GAP / UCB t-shirts or leave just a hint of shirt showing under the collar.

Jon.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I stand corrected - there are at least 31 colors.

Jon, what is the chest size of the XS sweaters, approx? We should be able to deduce the S size between the XS and M.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I stand corrected - there are at least 31 colors.

Jon, what is the chest size of the XS sweaters, approx? We should be able to deduce the S size between the XS and M.
J,

I am currently at school using one of the computers in the lab, do I can't help you out regarding measurements, but I will check out the size when I get home later this evening. For the top of my head though, all the finer RL Polo / Collection items are made in Hong Kong.

They usually carry either a "Made in Hong Kong" label or a "Made in Hong Kong of Italian Yarn (or something similar to "˜yarn')". Alas, i have only seen this tag regarding items which have some cashmere content.

Jon.

You would think that S is in-between XS and M, but alas, companies always have a way of surprising you.

Pink22m

Reaction score
Last time I was on the polo website, they offered 35 different colors for the cashmere cable crewneck sweaters.  I own a couple myself, although neither is the crewneck style.  One is a polo collar style, and the other is a turtleneck.  I am rather jealous that you only paid $60 for them.  In terms of size, both of mine are XS, and I am a 36R (5-10, 136 lbs). I have a bit of room left, so I am guessing the chest size for an XS is somewhere around 38 inches. Overall, the quality seems to be pretty good, as mine have held up and have yet to show any real signs of pilling.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I measured from the bottom of the armpit to the bottom of the armpit, which is the widest point to point on the sweater. It measured 50 cm on one side (sorry, I don't have a tape measure with inches) so its 100 cm, which is about 39.5 inches.

Jon.

Material Boy

Reaction score
40?... There are 18 colors... which ones do you have 3 of? Thanks for the info. Â
biggrin.gif
Yes, I do have at least 40 of these crewneck cashmere sweaters. Two yellow (one for spring, one for fall/winter), Two orange (light one for spring, and the darker one for fall), at least 4 blue ones (2 for spring, 2 for fall/winter), about 6 different shades of green (3 for spring, 3 for fall).... I am sure you got the picture by now. I purchased all these sweaters thru the years. And there are colors that were available couple years back and is no longer available now. I took a look at Polo.com to see all the newly available colors for Spring 05, the only color I do NOT have is the shocking pink. The most I paid for those $397.50 sweaters were $49.99. Some I got at Robinson May for $19.99, some at Macys for $16.99 and most of them at Bloomingdales for $49.99, just in case some of you are wondering why I have so many of them. At the price I was paying, I just couldn't help buying all of them. I dropped by Rodeo Drive this past Friday and saw the newest group called "Modern Drive". There are about 5 different cashmeres from that group. They look great. Now the challenge for me is to get all of them at a very reasonable price. They are NOT the $397.50 ones we been talking about, the starting price for the Modern Drive ones is $495. MB

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This is an RL line?

I can see how you could become addicted to them at those prices. They are very nice sweaters; even if the cable isn't exactly my style, I think I can let it slide.

Material Boy

Reaction score
This is an RL line?

I can see how you could become addicted to them at those prices. They are very nice sweaters; even if the cable isn't exactly my style, I think I can let it slide.
J:

Modern Drive is the new group from the Polo Blue Label line for Spring 05. I was told the group was inspired by the collection of Ralph Lauren's antique automobiles.

Check out the cashmere sweaters from that group. They are very very nice.

Bloomingdales is running the $49.99 sales on a lot of the old clearance Polo cashmeres. They are not the $397.50 ones we been talking about, instead, they are the more expensive ones from groups such as the "Black Collection" and "Tennis". I just got 4 (2 blacks and 2 white ones) at these attractive prices.

MB

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(j @ Feb. 21 2005,21:10) This is an RL line? I can see how you could become addicted to them at those prices. They are very nice sweaters; even if the cable isn't exactly my style, I think I can let it slide.
J: Modern Drive is the new group from the Polo Blue Label line for Spring 05. I was told the group was inspired by the collection of Ralph Lauren's antique automobiles. Check out the cashmere sweaters from that group. They are very very nice. Bloomingdales is running the $49.99 sales on a lot of the old clearance Polo cashmeres. They are not the $397.50 ones we been talking about, instead, they are the more expensive ones from groups such as the "Black Collection" and "Tennis". I just got 4 (2 blacks and 2 white ones) at these attractive prices. MB
Any in XS? Jon.

Material Boy

Reaction score
Jon:

I rarely see any Polo cashmere in XS, you might have to settle for Small. The new group "Modern Drive" I saw last Friday does not have any of the cashmeres in XS.

As to the Bloomingdales, I never saw a XS in that store, or other department stores around me (Robinson May, Macys). In fact the $397.50 Polo crewneck we've been talking about, Bloomingdales in Southern California never carry it in Small or XS. Only the NY (59th street) store carries Size Small. The left over from the winter are now on sales at Bloomingdales for $199.99. This Thursday, you can get an additional 15% because of a charity event the stores are hosting.

MB

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cashmere sweater in "Modern Driver" is a thicker guage cashmere. Instead of the normal 7gg, this one is 12gg. It also has leather elbow patches. However, there are the normal cashmere cable knits layered into the collection at the usual $397.50 price point as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads