• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll: Which RLPL spectator is the better buy?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Every time that you think Conne is the greatest douchebag of all, Jose comes and throws a wrench in the whole thing.

Andrew-

Any insight into why in the world they would use that atrocious contrast stitching? It is really offensive to my eye, at least in the pictures.

Amen brother!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

As to the stitching, I can't fathom it. But perhaps RL is more to blame as they wanted it this way? Either way, I laughed when they tried to persuade me that I couldn't live without them.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In my opinion, those shoes have a rather crude look. A two-toned shoe, in all its flamboyance, should be as elegant as possible.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
BarBri? No way am I funding that monopoly. Besides, I'm not bothering. I'm going to be an academic.

Great, more people that have never practiced law trying to teach it to others. No wonder you don't really learn anything useful in law school.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every time that you think Conne is the greatest douchebag of all, Jose comes and throws a wrench in the whole thing. Andrew- Any insight into why in the world they would use that atrocious contrast stitching? It is really offensive to my eye, at least in the pictures.
Matt, the stitching, I think, is clearly to give that look of a wider seam.
aesxc4.jpg
In other words, they wanted it like the regular Carter:
untitled1copydh1.jpg
The problem, I think, with trying to make the Carter into a spectator is that they had to decide whether to make that wide seam brown, or part of the white. I think making it the white suede is the best of those two options, but still very bad. I.e. I don't think the Carter, and that wide seam, makes a good recipe for a spectator. What they should have done, IMO, is just to keep the split toe and get rid of the wide seam there. Then they could have avoided the problem of translating the Carter into a spectator.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duveen
Jose, you of all people are in a poor position to talk tough about the relative value of forum posters.

I don't know Fighetta, and haven't been following the forum closely enough to check out all of his posts, but I am pretty sure that he is a new handle for someone who has a bit of experience on these fora, possibly one who has been banned in the past (?). As I recall, his first post was a tweak @ FNB for a color combo and he has displayed knowledge of forum trivia that would not be present in a newbie.

Plus, a newbie can know a TON more about clothes than yourself, or many of the other high-post-count folks out there. I'd rather listen to someone with medwards' bespoke suit and shoe wardrobe and 25 posts than a Josepidal, who posts frequently but to little useful effect.

Dude... place the bad acting in context, at least until Aportnoy blew the whistle. I mean, wasn't it suspicious that JLibourel showed up on this thread when he did?

Thanks a lot Aportnoy!

I leave it JLibourel to do the debrief and give the episode's moral lesson.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, I just can't stand stitched aloft shoes. They look poorly finished to me and I regret this because there are some Aldens I like. There are no AEs that I like, but we don't have to trade shoes
smile.gif

the stitched aloft v. closed channel thing is just pointless. close channelled shoes look nice when they're in the store, but it doesn't have any substantial benefit, and they look just as bad as stitched aloft shoes after they've been worn a few times..... and the point of shoes is to be worn, not photographed on pretty rugs.....

Originally Posted by zjpj83
My main objection to AE is that they have that 360 degree welt, which I hate.

I actually like the 360 welt and the larger heel, but horses, courses.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Great, more people that have never practiced law trying to teach it to others. No wonder you don't really learn anything useful in law school.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. I guess I'm not obsessive as the rest of you. As part of a smart ensemble the stitching on the spectator/Carter would nary make a bit of difference.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris Rimby
Wow. I guess I'm not obsessive as the rest of you. As part of a smart ensemble the stitching on the spectator/Carter would nary make a bit of difference.

Don't forget the silent majority.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's amusing that when Jose posted the Carter Spectators on AAAC claiming that they were A-Es (he clued me in on the prank at the time), he got a much milder reaction than here at SF where he honestly stated what they were. It's amusing that types like Fighetta vented their spleen on them as if they were lowly, despised A-Es when in fact they were the venerated Edward Greens.

That's why I posted my reply of "BWA-HAHAHA" in response to his Fighetta's first post!

fighetta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
It's amusing that when Jose posted the Carter Spectators on AAAC claiming that they were A-Es (he clued me in on the prank at the time), he got a much milder reaction than here at SF where he honestly stated what they were. It's amusing that types like Fighetta vented their spleen on them as if they were lowly, despised A-Es when in fact they were the venerated Edward Greens.

That's why I posted my reply of "BWA-HAHAHA" in response to his Fighetta's first post!

Don't you worry, I still don't like them and don't hold EG in any higher regard than AE. In fact with the direction they are going I wouldn't be surprised to see EG eclips AE on the down side in the next five years.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fighetta
Don't you worry, I still don't like them and don't hold EG in any higher regard than AE. In fact with the direction they are going I wouldn't be surprised to see EG eclips AE on the down side in the next five years.

Wait until you see the models in their new catalog. This is the Edward Green "Popcollar" in their new "douchebag calf" finish in black, on the 666 last.

128844fpxtifup5.jpg

fighetta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Wait until you see the models in their new catalog. This is the Edward Green "Popcollar" in their new "douchebag calf" finish in black, on the 666 last.

I was talking about the awful customre service they now imploy and the rip off new line they have foisted on their fans. I waited almost a whole year for a pair of their shoes since nobondy stocks a 10C/UK in the US. They are impossible to deal with and it will catch up with them.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Every time that you think Conne is the greatest douchebag of all, Jose comes and throws a wrench in the whole thing.

No, Conne still is the greatest douchbag in my book. Jose's post I mostly find to be sad, like when I see those commercials of that fat actress broad that played the daughter in Archie Bunker and those starving African kids. That type of sad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads