• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll: Which grenadine tie?

dasai

Reaction score
I recently ran across this grenadine in the "wine" color, and have been itching to get it. But since it's going for close to $120, I thought I might get the equivalent from David Hober's website. To my eye, the color of the tie is closer to the dark red than the burgundy. I like the color quite a bit, especially because I already have a knit tie in a darker burgundy, but I'm wondering if it will be somehow less versatile in regular use. I'm an educator, so it's not like I need to stick to conservative business dress, but I don't like to be too flashy either (understated elegance, and all that). So, what's your take?

Dave-itt

Reaction score
one man's dark red is another man's burgundy. be careful with web images, the colours can be way off the real thing. the dark red here looks more like the burgundy you are after, however this "burgundy" looks dull and brownish. I think the dark red looks richer and would bring out the texture of the grenadine more.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For about $10 David will send you swatches of all his grenadine colors. Do this and pick the one you like IRL.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
For about $10 David will send you swatches of all his grenadine colors. Do this and pick the one you like IRL.

I did that.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skokiekid
I have the burgundy. It looks brownish IRL.

Seconded, the Hober burgundy grenadine is browner than what I usually consider burgundy.

HarleyBob

Reaction score
For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would spend $120 on a grenadine tie rather than buying one from David. I have 12 (I think, it might be more) of David's grenadine ties and they are my favorite ties. The quality is outstanding. He makes them to my measurements, the fabric is fantastic and they make a great knot.

Do yourself a favor, order the swatches, then order the tie. You will be happy you did.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Thank you for the kind words.

Colors can be a challenge - one man's burgundy can be very dark red (as we see ours) or perhaps having a touch of brown... It is very much a matter of personal perspective.

Unless you are in a rush for a special event swatches can be very helpful.

They are also good for feeling texture and weight.

Currently we have over 40 grenadines in our grenadine collection. We are having woven more than 30 new grenadines which will give us a grenadine collection of over 70.

So in the future the challenge of color will have lots of other variations in terms of weave variations and designs. So ordering will perhaps be even more of a challenge but one taht I hope that you welcome.

If we can be of any help with grenadine questions please let us know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads