• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll - What colours is Oscar Wilde wearing?

What combo you think is going on?

• His tie is green, tie pin red, black coat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • His tie is green, tie pin red, blue coat

• His tie is purple, tie pin green, blue coat

• His tie is purple, tie pin green, charcoal coat

• What! No.. no.. no! If you think it can’t be… Post your suggestion in the thread please!

• Total voters

talkhot

Reaction score
Dear Style Forum members, how about a little historical question?

I'm working on a new sartorial passion project with a very talented art historian. We're currently creating the first articles for our new blog for which we uncover stories of past and present figures who inspire critical thinking. Our first article is an easy-to-read but fully cited piece on the true story behind Oscar Wilde's green carnation.

I found some black and white photos that I'd like to have historically accurately coloured, and this is where I would be curious about your input and sartorial knowledge. We know Mr. Wilde was a flamboyant person, so which colours would he have chosen for his outfit? The criteria are that they should be historically accurate (1890s), combine well (it's hard to imagine he would pick something that wouldn't match), and suit his flamboyant character.

I thought to put some of the options below, but I'm also happy to elaborate on any of the subjects. What we know is that his carnation may be green. Also, combinations of various colours were not uncommon in 1890s fashion, although men usually wore more subdued hues.

Oscar_Wilde_3_smoking.jpg

Attachments

• 1896 - From an 1896 Vanity Fair.jpeg
    1896 - From an 1896 Vanity Fair.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your friend is an art historian ? so ... why not simply research color portraits of wilde ? probably more accurate than a contemporary poll would be

Screenshot 2023-04-25 12.36.34 PM.png
henri toulouse-latrec 1895

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Screenshot 2023-04-25 1.02.40 PM.png

robert goodloe harper pennington 1884

talkhot

Reaction score
your friend is an art historian ? so ... why not simply research color portraits of wilde ? probably more accurate than a contemporary poll would be

View attachment 1946575
henri toulouse-latrec 1895

The post-impressionists such as Toulouse-Lautrec weren't exactly renowned for their photorealistic (or even realistic) style of painting.

My question pertains to the exact outfit he is wearing in the photograph above. There are no primary sources about this exact outfit. There are sources on the general style in the time (see attachment), but Oscar Wilde was known not to stick to conventions, so that leaves room for interpretation. For example frock coats came in different colours at the time, black would be a safe choice, but OS might have chosen something slightly less safe.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hm , maybe i'm not understanding the point of the project but this seems a bit lazy ngl .

i'm sure there are contemporaneous accounts of wilde's dress or maybe that is also a dubious record ? lol .

or you could analyze the dandy characters that he wrote about and were presumably modeled to a degree on the author himself .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads