• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll - One vs Two button Peak lapel Tuxedo

orthofrancis

Reaction score
I need to buy a Tux - will be wearing them several times a year. Question is this formal enough - midnight blue, two button, peak lapel, or will it become dated fast. Belvest makes this, but I'm not quite sure if I want to pull the trigger, and that's a problem I guess.
belvestnvy2bpktuxvest1.jpg

Macallan

Reaction score
midnight blue - tick
peak lapel - tick
two buttons - *orthofrancis gets banned from SF*

Go for a single button, remember with a midnight blue dinner suit the lapel facing and bow should be black

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan
remember with a midnight blue dinner suit the lapel facing and bow should be black

I don't think they necessarily "should be black." Midnight blue is an acceptable color for the facings, I'm pretty sure. It's just that they most commonly are black.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would wear it if it was free and fit well, but the operative word from your post is buy. That said, no I would never buy a 2 button tuxedo.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Two buttons are a lesser sin than the ticket pocket. Ixnay.

For a second I thought that was a peak-lapel suit for illustration purposes. But the covered buttons make me think it's meant to be a DJ. No way.

Aside from the aforementioned issues, the gorge is too high and the quarters are too closed for my tastes.

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Along with the flap pockets I would say this is a pass.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Am joining the chorus on one button. The dinner jacket in the picture also looks too fashion forward IMHO.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not a fan of the jacket in the pic at all. The two-button and tic pocket destroy it.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a couple of friends who bought some three button dinner jackets about 10 years ago. It looked fashionable at the time. I haven't asked, but I would have to think they now regret it. I'll stick to my one button.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would agree with those saying the flap pockets and the ticket pocket are the larger sins. It's also unclear whether the facings are different from the rest of the jacket. I have a 2-button jacket and the silhouette is no different from that of a 1-button. Had I to do it over again, I would have gone for 1 button, but it's not something that would cause me to switch to a newer tuxedo.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UnFacconable
I have a 2-button jacket and the silhouette is no different from that of a 1-button. Had I to do it over again, I would have gone for 1 button, but it's not something that would cause me to switch to a newer tuxedo.
I made the same mistake several years ago, although it seemed to be a good fashion forward choice at the time.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I made the same mistake several years ago, although it seemed to be a good fashion forward choice at the time.

That puts me in good company I guess
laugh.gif

Seriously though, two button v one button is an extremely small sin. Going to three buttons though is not something I could take.

NiFTY

Reaction score
i have a two button RLPL by st andrews tux with peak lapel and i think it is great, that said i would ideally have chosen a one button. I must however joint the chorus here, flap pockets and no black lapel facing make this look more like a suit, i think a midnight blue tux is a good look though.

Montrachet

Reaction score
Why are they even calling this a tux? It's clearly just a navy suit. Covering the buttons and adding a bowtie doesn't cut it. Look at how high that vest is, that's a suit vest. Is there a silk facing on the lapels? I can't tell from the picture.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads